Speculation: Laine Mega Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
The only one running is you. You've already been proven absolutely, completely wrong by another poster.

It's funny how you make a statement that there are a minimum of 7 drafted players in the last 3 seasons that have scored more than Laine. Can't provide one. Then try to move the goal posts to 10 years down the line. Grow up. You made a stupid statement, couldn't back it up and were called on it.

You were challenged to back up your statement with any possible evidence you had and you immediately started backpedaling and ducking. I expect you to keep running and deflecting as you have since you posted your comical theory.

Your embarrassing yourself with your lack of hockey knowledge and general ignorance of the topic.

Come back and let us know when you watch your first hockey game. It's not too late, you can still educate yourself.

LOL!!! Great post bud.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I heard Lebrun on t.v. mention there is a 2 year 6 m per bridge deal on the table for Laine. Not sure how accurate that is.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
How so? Drouin is a very nice forward with 70-75 point upside. Caufield is a blue chip prospect with elite goal scoring potential. A 1st is a 1st.

Oh sweet....so if we are valuing players off what they MAY do......we're gonna need more for a guy who could score 60.

Also, and people please correct me if I am wrong.....is Caufield REALLY a blue chip prospect?

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
After the Boeser and Tkachuk deals I doubt Laine gets a penny over 7.5 over 3 years.
We can easily afford that and do not need to move anymore players out to fit in Laine and Connor.

Rangers and Habs fans are dreaming about us trading him for your scraps.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I heard Lebrun on t.v. mention there is a 2 year 6 m per bridge deal on the table for Laine. Not sure how accurate that is.
I think that would be fair. Laine was so bad last year that I think both parties would like a shorter term to see what kind of player he will really be going forward. 6M seems a fair number for 2 years.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We JUST had a draft that proved Caufield isn’t a high 1st. If he was a high 1st he would have been a high 1st round pick. Nothing has changed over a couple months.

When has a 50 point winger ever gotten two 1st rounders?

Talk about over valuing players. Really just a weird post.

Are we talking about Laine or Drouin here? ;)

montreal would be incredibly lucky to get laine for only caufield, drouin and a 1st. only homer habs fans would decline that trade.

Montreal would be incredibly dumb to add Caufield to Drouin for Laine, let alone add a first

Looks extremely accurate. I heard it too

Reactions: stanley25

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
A 2 year deal is not good for a player. For the next QO the 2nd year salary should be higher but then he would earn nothing in that first year and if something happened during those 2 years, he has basically earned very little in his career. I'd prefer a 3 year deal.

Reactions: mattihp

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Well, that's a pretty good deal with the down year he had, not sure what he's waiting for.

Because so did Laine. Drouin outproduced Laine last year, so yeah, adding a first who could be a top 10 pick if Price gets injured alongside Caufield on top of a guy who outproduced the player you’re trying to acquire is not good asset management.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Because so did Laine. Drouin outproduced Laine last year, so yeah, adding a first who could be a top 10 pick if Price gets injured alongside Caufield on top of a guy who outproduced the player you’re trying to acquire is not good asset management.
The difference is that was the best Drouin has ever done in his life. 30 goals and 50 points is horrific for Laine. The difference of 3 points.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The difference is that was the best Drouin has ever done in his life. 30 goals and 50 points is horrific for Laine. The difference of 3 points.

Drouin did 53 points twice and let’s not act like Laine was a 100 points player before having a down season.

The ~17 points between their career high isn’t worth a first round pick AND a blue chip prospect, especially since Laine have the EXACT same flaws that makes Drouin available

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Drouin did 53 points twice and let’s not act like Laine was a 100 points player before having a down season.

The ~17 points between their career high isn’t worth a first round pick AND a blue chip prospect, especially since Laine have the EXACT same flaws that makes Drouin available
Your posts make me laugh every time. Glad you’re not serious. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Pongs21

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Your posts make me laugh every time. Glad you’re not serious. Keep up the good work.

I’m sorry that I don’t agree with your statement that it would be an easy trade for Montreal. I’m just not willing to give up a top 6 forward, a blue chip prospect and a first round pick for Laine.

I would do that trade for a guy like Tkachuk. Laine? Never. 1) I’m not a fan of his style of play and 2) he has too many holes and flaws in his game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A 2 year deal is not good for a player. For the next QO the 2nd year salary should be higher but then he would earn nothing in that first year and if something happened during those 2 years, he has basically earned very little in his career. I'd prefer a 3 year deal.
The 2 year bridge deal is not SUPPOSED to be good for the player. It's for the player to prove what he really is worth for the next deal. The team uses the RFA leverage they have to have the player under contract at a reduced value....with the tradeoff that the player improves and shows they are worth much more for a bigger contract in the future.

I have said 2 years 6.1 for awhile now. That allows the Jets to say he still gets paid less the Scheifele since he certainly doesn't deserve more. But as a 50-70 point guy, is still around market value so it's not a slap in the face either to Laine.

And for the Jets, they want the 2 years for more control and more a chance for Laine to sign Laine long term in 2 years.

It really is the best win/win for both side to all save face. And in the end, the Jets WANT Laine to be a 9+ million dollar player. Go out and post back to back 80+ seasons and you will get paid.

Reactions: Hunter368

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
There's 11. Some a little better or a little worse, but 11 (so far) are in a close enough ballpark that if you got one you wouldn't be any worse off overall. And that's picking from the bottom of the barrel when the 15 best ones were intentionally excluded from the list. FWIW. If you want to drop 3 or 4 of these and take the other 15 into consideration, I would not object, it wouldn't change the argument.
Most of the guys you bolded have like 1 or 2 seasons better than Laine's worst year, and peaks no where close to what Laine was able achieve in his first two seasons. To rank those guys better than Laine because most were better than him last year is crazy, but I guess that's just recency bias in action

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

I think you replied to the wrong person.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Most of the guys you bolded have like 1 or 2 seasons better than Laine's worst year, and peaks no where close to what Laine was able achieve in his first two seasons. To rank those guys better than Laine because most were better than him last year is crazy, but I guess that's just recency bias in action
I think that's a very fair criticism. I just happen to think the recency bias is an accurate predictor of what the future holds in this case. But for sure it could be flat wrong. Maurice is definitely a major factor in the equation. Laine is not providing a lot of inspiration against that projection, however. His general attitude and the potential of missing this year isn't helping. I understand what Jets fans have been carrying forward from his phenomenal 1st year. That's also very reasonable. I would definitely like Laine on my team. Just at this stage, I think he has become a lot more replaceable than anybody ever would have anticipated a couple of years ago.

Recency bias is exactly what it is. Sometimes that's a valid red flag, sometimes it isn't. I'm just not seeing the progression in Laine that would make me think it isn't a valid red flag. And I'll be very happy if I'm wrong. I always want players to succeed.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I’m sorry that I don’t agree with your statement that it would be an easy trade for Montreal. I’m just not willing to give up a top 6 forward, a blue chip prospect and a first round pick for Laine.

I would do that trade for a guy like Tkachuk. Laine? Never. 1) I’m not a fan of his style of play and 2) he has too many holes and flaws in his game.
I know you’re smarter than that but you need to be careful with your sarcasm because some people won’t understand your humor like I do.

D+3 for Drouin: 4G, 10pts, part time NHL player.

Laine D+3: 30G, 50pts, 110 NHL goals.

Reactions: FinnJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad