Speculation: Laine Mega Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
7 years is the maximum term you would be allowed to sign him to if you acquired his rights. Laine isn't signing long term for 9m. I'm sure he sees a path to a higher contract in a couple of years.

True, 7 years then. I also said $9-$10M range and how do you know he won't go for that with the Habs? From what I gathered, the Jets are playing hard ball in negotiations and want nothing to do with overpaying him. Habs are more than willing to use our cap space on Laine if we can make the Jets happy with the return.

If we can negotiate a offer where both sides are happy (big if it appears), we can then try to see what Laine would sign for and go from there. If he is willing to take $7M+ for 2 or 3 years, so be it.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets fans have been burned once by our beloved highly entertaining Finn sniper leaving just as we really got to know him. As a Jets fan myself i am in zero rush to see Laine on another team. NO compensation will substitute the entertainment derived from a sniper of this caliber. People can talk about defensive deficiencies all they want but when Laine is in the offensive zone he is 100% a threat at any point from ANYwhere. His shot is THAT incredible. Jets have a lot of defensive minded forwards already so in my mind Laine can just keep plugging away at his defensive game at his own pace as he develops into a more rounded nhl vet. If he wants to leave Winnipeg for brighter lights i would prefer the Jets to play out his remaining RFA years so i could at least enjoy him as a fan for however long i get to.
I like Laine. I think he fits the Jets team perfectly. My only wish is that he could see the value in being another equal threat on Line 2. Line 1, Line 2, what difference does it make? There is value in all roles.
I would like the Jets to lock up Laine long term.
Any trade regardless of whether or not the value is there wont replace the pure entertainment that Laine brings. It is very special.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’ve been pretty vocal in the past two weeks that I am not interested in Laine. He’s just a younger/bit more skilled version of Drouin.

I just don’t like the style they play.

Again you're one of the most common posters in this thread. How could you possibly have this much time to post if you don't really want the player and aren't a Laine fan?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
A good measure on how good the Grade A prospect (Brook) is the WJC. He didn't get as much opportunity as Bouchard and looked just as good. Better skater and edge work as well. Remember, this is the best 17-19 year olds in the world. Did Brook stand out? Not really but was he a disaster in his own zone? It's the opposite from what I have seen and he got little to no PP time so we don't have a offensive measure to look at. He did dominate the WHL last year though.

What you have to realize is Habs fans are extremely hard on our prospects and there is literally nobody saying Brook is a bust. That is telling to me cause our fan base don't always get along. He is a grade A prospect who is trending very well and the only question mark is if he is top pairing or top 4D at this point. It would take a massive derail for him to bust towards bottom pairing or no NHL at all.
Hope you're right, I've got nothing but love for the Habs but from what I've seen from him I don't consider him a quality piece. Time will tell though, I'll have no issue being wrong if I am!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets fans have been burned once by our beloved highly entertaining Finn sniper leaving just as we really got to know him. As a Jets fan myself i am in zero rush to see Laine on another team. NO compensation will substitute the entertainment derived from a sniper of this caliber. People can talk about defensive deficiencies all they want but when Laine is in the offensive zone he is 100% a threat at any point from ANYwhere. His shot is THAT incredible. Jets have a lot of defensive minded forwards already so in my mind Laine can just keep plugging away at his defensive game at his own pace as he develops into a more rounded nhl vet. If he wants to leave Winnipeg for brighter lights i would prefer the Jets to play out his remaining RFA years so i could at least enjoy him as a fan for however long i get to.
I like Laine. I think he fits the Jets team perfectly. My only wish is that he could see the value in being another equal threat on Line 2. Line 1, Line 2, what difference does it make? There is value in all roles.
Any trade regardless of whether or not the value is there wont replace the pure entertainment that Laine brings. It is very special.

Tell your GM to pay him then. Simple as that. If your GM is not willing to pay him, this is what happens.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope you're right, I've got nothing but love for the Habs but from what I've seen from him I don't consider him a quality piece. Time will tell though, I'll have no issue being wrong if I am!

I think top 4D is probable but he is at that critical point where he just turned pro and there is adjustment required. We will know a heck of a lot more after this season but as it stands today, he is a grade A prospect but not elite level.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
True, 7 years then. I also said $9-$10M range and how do you know he won't go for that with the Habs? From what I gathered, the Jets are playing hard ball in negotiations and want nothing to do with overpaying him. Habs are more than willing to use our cap space on Laine if we can make the Jets happy with the return.

If we can negotiate a offer where both sides are happy (big if it appears), we can then try to see what Laine would sign for and go from there. If he is willing to take $7M+ for 2 or 3 years, so be it.

If he wants 7+ for 2 years then for sure he's going to want 11+ for long term. If he plays on a two year contract and has great seasons his value will go way up and he'd be re-signing at a time when the cap may be going up quite a bit. I'm sure all teams, players and agents explore a variety of scenarios based on signing short or long term etc...

The best case scenario is that he signs his bridge with the Jets, hits a big development curve between now and his 23 year old scene. The team and fans hope he becomes the player that is worth the huge pay day in a couple of years.

My guess right now is that both sides are just grinding out the AAV on the bridge deal. These deals are never close until they are.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

We're not talking about a guy whose been dominating the league. This is a guy who had the worst +/- on his team by a standard deviation. A guy who had among the worst Corsi in the league; the Jets as a whole had a 48.3% CF, or minus 184. Despite having a 60% offensive zone push last year Laine was 45% CF at evens / minus 168 Corsi on his own.

Then you look at how he effects Little; without Laine, Little played 402 minutes and has a CF of 49%. With Laine he played 623 minutes at 44.7 CF. Compared to Laine with Little playing 623 with 44.7% CF and 444 without Little at 45.1% CF. You follow those numbers through and all of Littles fancies are dragged down by Laine and Laine is about the same regardless who he plays with. Who is dragging down who, Laine? This is a player that got caved in at even strength. His Relative Goals for % was -10.9% compared to Littles -4.8%.

For a player that's supposedly hard on himself, he's basically was a complete liability unless on the powerplay. He needs to take a look in the mirror because everyone he played with last year produced better results in both ends of the rink without him.

There is being bad defensively and there is completely and utterly being a liability despite hard sheltering. Laine did not move the dial on the Jets winning games last year. By the numbers he should have played 4th line minutes because he got his teeth kicked in when deployed on 3rd line minutes, forget 1st line minutes.

I think y'all need a better linemate for Little and Lowry. Atleast one that won't shit talk them to the media.

Tell your GM to pay him then. Simple as that. If your GM is not willing to pay him, this is what happens.

I don't think Laine's play merits him getting paid. Historically goal scoring has correlated with playing well, but Laine doesn't help the Jets win. He got scored on more than he scored with soft minutes in terms of zone starts and competition. He's basically as sheltered as you can get and he still produced bad results.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I have no problem with that. Internal cap is a real thing. And honestly Chevy is no slouch in finding the right amount dollarwise to be both beneficial to player and team. A bridge deal to me sounds like the best idea for now, but i agree with Laine he shouldnt have to prove anything, he just scored a sh@t tonne.
Ya gotta pay those snipers more. Goals is what wins games.
That being said if Chevy is savvy enough to lock him up at the longest term i would be all for it. And i wouldnt consider trading him ever.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He signs a two year deal ...he could be a a Florida Panther as early as 2021 at trade deadline OR 2021 summer as UFA.

I see you have over 7000 posts so I'm going to assume you watch hockey and have at least a minimal understanding of NHL contracts.

2021 UFA???????????????????????????

Laine is coming off his ELC, the team has 4 years of RFA control over the player. If he signs a 2 year bridge deal he then at the end of that would be an RFA with arbitration rights. The Jets would still have 2 years of control.

2021 UFA... sheeeesh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he wants 7+ for 2 years then for sure he's going to want 11+ for long term. If he plays on a two year contract and has great seasons his value will go way up and he'd be re-signing at a time when the cap may be going up quite a bit. I'm sure all teams, players and agents explore a variety of scenarios based on signing short or long term etc...

The best case scenario is that he signs his bridge with the Jets, hits a big development curve between now and his 23 year old scene. The team and fans hope he becomes the player that is worth the huge pay day in a couple of years.

My guess right now is that both sides are just grinding out the AAV on the bridge deal. These deals are never close until they are.

Hard to say what he is asking for and what the Jets are willing to sign him for. Curious, Do you believe or not believe in the marriage being on stable ground? I have no idea what is true but it does remind me of the Subban situation with the Habs. As a Habs fan, I was in denial we were going to trade him and though the rumors were false. Not saying this happens with Laine but it does remind me of the Subban situation.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
We're not talking about a guy whose been dominating the league. This is a guy who had the worst +/- on his team by a standard deviation. A guy who had among the worst Corsi in the league; the Jets as a whole had a 48.3% CF, or minus 184. Despite having a 60% offensive zone push last year Laine was 45% CF at evens / minus 168 Corsi on his own.

Then you look at how he effects Little; without Laine, Little played 402 minutes and has a CF of 49%. With Laine he played 623 minutes at 44.7 CF. Compared to Laine with Little playing 623 with 44.7% CF and 444 without Little at 45.1% CF. You follow those numbers through and all of Littles fancies are dragged down by Laine and Laine is about the same regardless who he plays with. Who is dragging down who, Laine? This is a player that got caved in at even strength. His Relative Goals for % was -10.9% compared to Littles -4.8%.

For a player that's supposedly hard on himself, he's basically was a complete liability unless on the powerplay. He needs to take a look in the mirror because everyone he played with last year produced better results in both ends of the rink without him.

There is being bad defensively and there is completely and utterly being a liability despite hard sheltering. Laine did not move the dial on the Jets winning games last year. By the numbers he should have played 4th line minutes because he got his teeth kicked in when deployed on 3rd line minutes, forget 1st line minutes.

I think y'all need a better linemate for Little and Lowry. Atleast one that won't **** talk them to the media.

I am talkimg entertainment. Like how you feel when McDavid or Drai tear it up. That kinda thing. In pure shooting alone, he is the best ive seen. And when i say that i mean, the best Jet. The players you follow day in day out. I think its awesome having one of "our guys" being elite at some aspect of the game. And after watching McDavid skate around the entire Jets team yesterday you should know more than anyone how awesome it is to have a player of that caliber be on your team and on your tv for the season. So in entertainment value alone i disagree because i look at things in terms of Best Jet. And while i appreciate the numbers and read the numbers, I dont watch hockey in Corsi.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Laine's play merits him getting paid. Historically goal scoring has correlated with playing well, but Laine doesn't help the Jets win. He got scored on more than he scored with soft minutes in terms of zone starts and competition. He's basically as sheltered as you can get and he still produced bad results.

This is the #1 reason why the Jets are hesitant on giving him the long term high AAV contract IMO.

Drouin < Laine but both are PP guys. Drouin has better skating and play making skills but Laine is the cream of the crop in terms of goal scoring talent and this is why he has more value than Drouin. Both suck 5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad