Speculation: Laine Mega Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
No one makes this comparison...

I actually think his best comparable is Jeff Skinner. Not a great 2 way game shoot first player who can score a lot. Yes their styles are different but production is very similar.

Adjust for capflation 6.5 -7m x 5.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
After reading through numerous posts, one thing is clear; Laine is a very polarizing player. His skill and goal scoring ability versus other aspects of his game has clearly divided the fan base wrt his value. What are some other comparables? Would be interesting to hear what other players had this effect on the fan base.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Trade him to the Habs for Petry + Poehling + 1st 2021.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Didn’t Poehling just get concussed last week? Isn’t he out indefinitely?
Yes. For what it's worth, it looked pretty minor and nobody suspected it was a concussion at the time, though it's true that there's no easy prognosis with concussions. However, there's no reason to think that he won't recover and be fine. The kid had a beautiful goal setup in that game.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Yes. For what it's worth, it looked pretty minor and nobody suspected it was a concussion at the time, though it's true that there's no easy prognosis with concussions. However, there's no reason to think that he won't recover and be fine. The kid had a beautiful goal setup in that game.
Nice assist in the preseason and probably not THAT concussed. Sounds like a deal to me!

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
No thanks. The 2 firsts are nice, but Sheary and Risto need to be dropped and more quality needs to be added.

I get this would be contingent on re-signing, but hes still an unsigned player returning a huge haul. Not exactly a sign and trade, if he refuses to extend and those first end up turning into 7th's you still get a signed Risto and Sheary for Laines rights.

I dont exactly think Winnipeg jumps at that offer, but with the possibility of losing Buff they need to look long and hard at who is going to take over that spot. Not that Risto should ever be a 1D again, but who else is available for the right side?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I get this would be contingent on re-signing, but hes still an unsigned player returning a huge haul. Not exactly a sign and trade, if he refuses to extend and those first end up turning into 7th's you still get a signed Risto and Sheary for Laines rights.

I dont exactly think Winnipeg jumps at that offer, but with the possibility of losing Buff they need to look long and hard at who is going to take over that spot. Not that Risto should ever be a 1D again, but who else is available for the right side?
It doesn't really matter who is available on the right side if Buff retires. With him gone the Jets would be in tough to do much if they make the playoffs. So, they're better off letting the young kids play and seeing what they have rather than trading an excellent young winger for a marginal defenseman a couple picks (which are nice) and a winger we have no need for.

The Jets have no reason to move Laine and are under no pressure to do so. Therefore, unless a trade fills holes for the Jets and makes us better in the short and long term, there's no reason to trade him.

This deal doesn't offer the Jets enough improvement to make it our worth their while.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
It doesn't really matter who is available on the right side if Buff retires. With him gone the Jets would be in tough to do much if they make the playoffs. So, they're better off letting the young kids play and seeing what they have rather than trading an excellent young winger for a marginal defenseman a couple picks (which are nice) and a winger we have no need for.

The Jets have no reason to move Laine and are under no pressure to do so. Therefore, unless a trade fills holes for the Jets and makes us better in the short and long term, there's no reason to trade him.

This deal doesn't offer the Jets enough improvement to make it our worth their while.

Fair enough. I'm not familiar enough with the situation so I didnt know if there was some reason he keeps coming up in discussion. Thought he wanted out or the team wanted him out, I'd agree that you dont give up on a young player that has shown the skills he has, so I understand the reluctance.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Nice assist in the preseason and probably not THAT concussed. Sounds like a deal to me!
Well... you could also add his hat-trick in the last regular season game, but then Jets would have add Laine+. Seriously, Poehling's a top-rated prospect and very valuable asset. A concussion is something he'll recover from and move on, just like the many players who've had them.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Well... you could also add his hat-trick in the last regular season game, but then Jets would have add Laine+. Seriously, Poehling's a top-rated prospect and very valuable asset. A concussion is something he'll recover from and move on, just like the many players who've had them.
I hope your joking :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reactions: snowkiddin

Whileee

May 29, 2010

You're joking, right? He's an RFA with 4 more years of team control. You don't trade for contingent picks in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad