Laine just shot over 103.14762 mph

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Math problem: both cars are driving on a perfectly straight freeway, and pucks aren’t affected by gravity or air friction.

Driver A is driving 120 mph

Driver B is driving 50 mph. And is also 1.75 miles behind Driver A on the Autobahn.

Driver B for some inexplicable reason has Patrik Laine standing on the front hood of his car, and Laine hits a perfect 103 mph slap shot directly at Driver A’s car. How much time will elapse before Laine’s puck hits Driver A’s car?

I have no clue Pal. But I do know that I’ve read lotsa your posts and realized I’m way dumber than you. I’m gonna sit back and wait for the answer on the short bus I was dropped off on. Lol.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There's always a player or two on every team at their individual skills competitions every year that get into triple digits. But because they aren't star players they aren't in the All-Star competitions. Weber and Chara are still the Kings, but I think there are a bunch of players that could give them a run if plugs were allowed to join. lol

Reactions: Phu

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe referring to end of Iafrate's career? He was not very sharp in the end of career.
Maybe he means the current Al Iafrate. He hasn't put his shot to use, and hasn't scored in years. A total plumber.

Reactions: gwh

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Math problem: both cars are driving on a perfectly straight freeway, and pucks aren’t affected by gravity or air friction.

Driver B is driving 50 mph. And is also 1.75 miles behind Driver A on the Autobahn.

Driver B for some inexplicable reason has Patrik Laine standing on the front hood of his car, and Laine hits a perfect 103 mph slap shot directly at Driver A’s car. How much time will elapse before Laine’s puck hits Driver A’s car?

As Laine's lazers are known to defy the physics and therefore the puck will go with zero friction 103 mph until it hits something, this should be easy.

As Laine is standing on car B with velocity of 50 mph straight to the same direction he is shooting, that gives us ground speed of 50 + 103 = 153 mph.

Since the car B evades with velocity of 120 mph, puck is catching that car with velocity of 153 - 120 = 33 mph, and that relative velocity of 33 mph and that 1.75 miles distance are the only things that matters, aside Laine's Rocket race in coming season.

1.75 miles / 33 miles per hour = 0.053 h
or 190.9 seconds
or 3 minutes 11 seconds.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Dont even remember the equation for air resistance but what is the area of half the side of a puck?!?!

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Dont even remember the equation for air resistance but what is the area of half the side of a puck?!?!
IIRC, it's half the frontal area x air density x coefficient of drag x velocity^2.

A puck is 1" thick x 3" in diameter. Frontal area would be 3 in^2.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I love how you say he shot "over 103.14762" as if defining the speed down to the hundred-thousandths place isn't specific enough. I'm dying to know how much over it went. 103.147621? 103.147622? 103.147623? Surely not more than 103.147624.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Not sure why he tried to burn Finns on goalies. Dmen and C i understand, although it's getting better.

There is still elite ones like Sebastian Aho and Barkov, few good ones aswell like Koivu and Filppula. For defense there is many good prospects coming like Heiskanen. And for NHLers Ristolainen and Lindell are the best right now what we have to offer i quess. Määttä also if he gets himself going after his injurys and cancer.. Unlucky.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017

Not sure. From a stationary viewpoint, with yr provisos, the bullet is going 153 mph. From moving car A perspective not sure how to calculate.

Again, how many days til the damn puck drops?!?!

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I remember when Chad Kilger registered a shot at 106.6 at the Leafs skills competition
I remember this way back when. Goes to show how silly this stuff is. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the majority of players could hit the 95+ mark. It doesn't mean a thing if you can't do it in a game. And you really can't. How often do you see a player get to take 3 or 4 strides and really lean into a shot? The game is way too tight for that to happen.

Reactions: The Rat King

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Id say no forward, probably no D either have done those number as a 20 year old? Am I right

There is obviously and age factor to core strength
Al Iafrate had the best shot I ever saw. Hard to compare a wooden stick with a newer stick though

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
literally no one cares or accepts this.
show up at the NHL skills comp and do it, then it'll count.
I don't think too many people care about skill competitions whether they're held in NHL or the Europe or Venus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad