Laine just shot over 103.14762 mph

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
You are right on this. Last season was a weak year for example. Laine was not even on that competition, and Ovie won it with 101.3mph.

However, you missed the point completely. I think you suggested that that 103.something was not a reliable result as it was shot on non-NHL all star competition. I did just point out that if a 18-year-old boy can shoot 101.3mph in said official competition, it's more than likely that that same guy as an 20-year-old almost grown up man can do 103+mph.

It's not that Laine will shot 108.8 this season and it might be actually almost impossible to have that kind of slapper with a stick with only 87 flex. The point is he can (and will) shoot pretty damn hard, and in consistent manner also in next season.

I dont think anyone thought otherwise.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not sure. From a stationary viewpoint, with yr provisos, the bullet is going 153 mph. From moving car A perspective not sure how to calculate.

That's easy. See my post above yours.

As the car A is moving 120 mph the same direction that puck is moving 153 mph, the difference will be 33 mph, so it'll take some 3 minutes and 11 seconds for a puck to catch that 1.75 miles difference.

Again, how many days til the damn puck drops?!?!

Now that's hard. Or easy to calculate. Answer is: way too many ;-(

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Hah, nothing this kid does is impressive. He's a plebeian. A circus clown. Can't grow a proper beard like Jumbo Joe. Isn't even at the level of prime Ovechkin. He's a glorified PP quarterback, and he's lucky if he still has a job in the NHL in five years. I bet he actually starts regressing this coming season, the kid's like Benjamin Button of ice-hockey. You wouldn't want him. No one should want him. A third pairing Dman can do what he does. The guy can't even do a sick between-your-legs goal like William Karlsson. Does this monkey even tie his own skates?

Man, Patrik Laine disgusts me.

Strawman : The post

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Looks like the puck is placed closer to the net then the one used in the allstar game.

LojAWrB.png

17CwlrO.png

Still impressive though

It's the top speed they measure, right? So, what the distance has to do with it??

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
101 doesn't win you the skills comp except in weak years and is nowhere near any record or impressive number.

Damn what you got up your ass
"It means nothing. Do it at the nhl skills comp"

*shoots over 100mph as an 18 year old at the nhl skills com* and only 2 other players shot over 100

"Well 101 mph doesn't win you anything"

It's still fkin impressive and he did do it at the nhl skills comp

He clearly has an impressive shot and scored 44 goals in his 2nd season

Have some sense

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Velocity doesn't make a great goal scorer. There have been many hardest shots that had plumber like goal totals. IE Al Iafrate pop to mind.

Really I would be more interested in a shooting skills competition of goal scorers. Say a Laine vs Boeser competition. There is more to scoring goals than just shot speed. Accuracy, release, and timing are invariably more important.

Yeah and Laine scored 44 goals last year and has a higher shooting percentage than the average nhler

You guys are talking as if Laine doesn't do this shit in game

Reactions: klozge

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Al Macinnis once shot 105.2134 MPH with a f***ing wooden stick

Last edited by a moderator:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It's the top speed they measure, right? So, what the distance has to do with it??
The closer he is the faster the shot will register. Not saying it isn't impressive, but i'd like to see shot speeds measured from the same distance before trying to compare.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
A lot of people are giving the rating crap because of the lack of credibility outside of the NHL all star game and I understand that. But this kid was shooting close to 102 in his rookies year. I don’t think 103.1 at 20 is a stretch at all.

Reactions: Peggy

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
That's easy. See my post above yours.

As the car A is moving 120 mph the same direction that puck is moving 153 mph, the difference will be 33 mph, so it'll take some 3 minutes and 11 seconds for a puck to catch that 1.75 miles difference.

Now that's hard. Or easy to calculate. Answer is: way too many ;-(

Just wondering how Einstein's train theory applies to this. If Laine's shot speed can be calculated to 5 decimals....

Reactions: Halberdier

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Patrik Laine just shot the puck twice over 103.14762 mph in liiga alumni game. Sami Salo etc had no chance.

Shea Weber in danger?

as an 18-year-old

Laine isn't 18 anymore, so how did he just shoot over 103 as an 18 year old???

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine isn't 18 anymore, so how did he just shoot over 103 as an 18 year old???

Read carefully. That "as an 18-year-old" referred to that video from two years ago when he shot 101+ mph at all star game.

Only as a 20-year-old he shot 103+ mph.

Reactions: Peggy

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
This speedgun they're using that measures to within 1/100000 of a mph is far more impressive than any shot Laine or anyone else has ever taken

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
This speedgun they're using that measures to within 1/100000 of a mph is far more impressive than any shot Laine or anyone else has ever taken
Pretty incredible that people still don't get that the competition was held in Finland so therefore they used km/h to track it. OP only converted it into mph so people in NA would have a clue what he is talking about.

Sure it was a bit silly to leave all those decimals there after converting it but I'm sure we can all live with it.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Couple years time Laine will shoot 110 mph at ASG and people are speechless. He is still improving with his strength and he already has excellent shooting technique. Sticks are improving every year and better shooters get most out of it.

Before that happens he will make quite few NHL goalies look embarrassed with those blue line bombs.

One of the most entertaining players to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad