Laine just shot over 103.14762 mph

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Id say no forward, probably no D either have done those number as a 20 year old? Am I right

There is obviously and age factor to core strength

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
somehow all these numbers that show up from other venues fail to materialize at the NHL skills comp

He shot over 101 mph at NHL all star game two years ago as a 18-year-old. So 103 mph as 20-year-old is pretty believable. Also he shot that twice in a row.

Reactions: Peggy

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He shot over 101 mph at NHL all star game two years ago as a 18-year-old. So 103 mph as 20-year-old is pretty believable. Also he shot that twice in a row.

101 doesn't win you the skills comp except in weak years and is nowhere near any record or impressive number.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Meh if he makes the all-star game chara and webber will still be comp with their long sticks and giant bodies .

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
literally no one cares or accepts this.
show up at the NHL skills comp and do it, then it'll count.
That's silly if they actually cared about skills comps and not just star power the all star skills comps would all be full of different people.

For an example it would be mcdavid vs larkin vs wood vs aa vs whatever other forth liner that has jets for skating

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
101 doesn't win you the skills comp except in weak years and is nowhere near any record or impressive number.

You are right on this. Last season was a weak year for example. Laine was not even on that competition, and Ovie won it with 101.3mph.

However, you missed the point completely. I think you suggested that that 103.something was not a reliable result as it was shot on non-NHL all star competition. I did just point out that if a 18-year-old boy can shoot 101.3mph in said official competition, it's more than likely that that same guy as an 20-year-old almost grown up man can do 103+mph.

It's not that Laine will shot 108.8 this season and it might be actually almost impossible to have that kind of slapper with a stick with only 87 flex. The point is he can (and will) shoot pretty damn hard, and in consistent manner also in next season.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
mike fisher shot 105 at ottawas camp one year

and then a few years later zibanejad beat that with 106

so we will see if someone actually does something at the real nhl skills comp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Velocity doesn't make a great goal scorer. There have been many hardest shots that had plumber like goal totals. IE Al Iafrate pop to mind.

Really I would be more interested in a shooting skills competition of goal scorers. Say a Laine vs Boeser competition. There is more to scoring goals than just shot speed. Accuracy, release, and timing are invariably more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad