Laine just shot over 103.14762 mph

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Velocity doesn't make a great goal scorer. There have been many hardest shots that had plumber like goal totals. IE Al Iafrate pop to mind.

Really I would be more interested in a shooting skills competition of goal scorers. Say a Laine vs Boeser competition. There is more to scoring goals than just shot speed. Accuracy, release, and timing are invariably more important.
The rocket trophy is probably what you're looking for . Dmen normally have an advantage for velocity just cuz its advantage to them to have a long stick

M A bergeron in my mind had the most impressive slapshot cuz he knocked out a goalie and he is a midget compared to hockey standards

Also I wish pool party would get a shorter stick cuz has a great shot but any defender can mess his weird long stick up

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
More impressive was that Reijo Freaking Ruotsalainen won Pettri Nummelin in skating competiton. Nummelin is not young himself but he was active not so long time ago

Ruotsalainen is like 70 now or something?

Asmola

Jul 12, 2017
More impressive was that Reijo Freaking Ruotsalainen won Pettri Nummelin in skating competiton. Nummelin is not young himself but he was active not so long time ago
Nummelin almost fell and that why Ruotsalainen won. But still, not bad for elder.

Reactions: MMANumminen

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
mike fisher shot 105 at ottawas camp one year

and then a few years later zibanejad beat that with 106

so we will see if someone actually does something at the real nhl skills comp

yeah but Zibanejad was an old man at 21 when he did that

haven't you heard that Laine is only 20?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I don't see the big deal with having a hard clapper from the hashmarks. High velocity, accurate, quick release wrist shot to me is way more of a useful tool than being able to bomb a clapper from 15 feet away.
I'd be more interested to know what the speed of his wrist shot is

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
No one cares about the shot being taken by a 30 year old Finnish speed radar gun.

He will shoot at 99 at the ASG guaranteed.

Reactions: SotasicA

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
.000001 over. He actually shot 103.147621.

source?

I'm guessing that poster was being facetious due to the meaningless precision of your initial statement. A more sensible figure would be "103.1 mph", or even ">103".

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
I don't see the big deal with having a hard clapper from the hashmarks. High velocity, accurate, quick release wrist shot to me is way more of a useful tool than being able to bomb a clapper from 15 feet away.
I'd be more interested to know what the speed of his wrist shot is

care to explain why not? :D

Reactions: Scheifelaine

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Velocity doesn't make a great goal scorer. There have been many hardest shots that had plumber like goal totals. IE Al Iafrate pop to mind.

Really I would be more interested in a shooting skills competition of goal scorers. Say a Laine vs Boeser competition. There is more to scoring goals than just shot speed. Accuracy, release, and timing are invariably more important.

While I completely agree with the idea, al iafrate is an atrocious example of that. In a 7 year span through his prime, he was top 20 in NHL dmen scoring 5 times. And had several 20 goal seasons. Top 10 in the NHL. Top 5 a couple of years. Two of those seasons mentined above top 10 in points. And the 2 years he missed, were both injury shortened seasons for him. That's a terrible example of a dman scoring like a plumber. Were you unaware iafrate was a dman?

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Everyone knows he has one hell of a bomb so the 103 mph shot doesn't really surprise me. What makes Laine's shot so good anyways is the accuracy.

I'd rather have 103 mph shot that finds its way to the net than 108 mph bomb missing the net half of the time like we've seen with so many players before.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
No one cares about the shot being taken by a 30 year old Finnish speed radar gun.

He will shoot at 99 at the ASG guaranteed.
This thread is so ageist. That radar gun would get more love if it was 18 years old, I bet.

Reactions: Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad