Value of: Laine in the off-season

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
They actually don't. The Jets can match the offer.
Laine is getting the contract he wants if Winnipeg Jet management doesn't like that fact that's their problem Laine doesn't owe the Winnipeg Jets anything .
Laine will get the money he wants either from Winnipeg or another team by simple signing an offer sheet and forcing Winnipeg to match or lose him to another team.

Laine and his agent are in control not Winnipeg Jet management.

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Laine is getting the contract he wants no matter what if Winnipeg Jet management doesn't like that fact that's their problem Laine doesn't owe the Winnipeg Jets anything .
Laine will get the money he wants either from Winnipeg or another team by simple signing an offer sheet and forcing Winnipeg to match or lose him to another team.

Any realistic offer would be matched so who cares?

Reactions: Snowman

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Even though I'm the guy that pointed out how bad Laine's numbers have been for the past couple months, I think it's hilarious that folks are coming in here expecting to get a potential/likely generational goal scorer and then listing multiple untouchables from their team. If you want a 20 year old who has already scored over 100 goals in the NHL, your untouchables list better be one player long or non-existent. Laine is not getting traded for any team's 4th, 5th, and 6th best assets.

Since my post is the only one in the thread that used "untouchable", I assume you're referring to me.

My post was simply a response to someone who wasn't a Canes fan to let THEM know where we stood on those players. Wasn't making an offer.

Carry on. :)

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
I will just assume you've never seen the Jets play outside of highlight packages. He is unquestionable the worst regular on the team.
Agree to disagree. Laine is young and has a shot like Ovechkin. I mean if the jets fans out there are having some questions about laine, I'd gladly listen if I were a gm.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sure, and the agent on the other end of the phone totally caves with no further argument.

This negotiation stuff is so simple :thumbu:
Not every GM caves to their RFA's. And Chevy has shown he is willing to fight that fight with Trouba.

He won't cave for Laine because he knows it will have a ripple effect on Connor, Morrisey, etc...

And like I said, I will humbly admit I was wrong if he does. I just expect other to do the same instead of just saying "wow, Laine needs a new agent".

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Eichel and Dahlin are both miles ahead of Laine. I'm sure Buffalo could acquire him with other pieces. Laine has been absolutely horrible this year, don't overrate him.
Not a chance. Laine's value isn't based on a cold streak. He's a phenomenal goal scorer. He was spectacular earlier in the year don't underrate him due to your recency bias.

Buffalo has absolutely nothing outside of Eichel or Dahlin that would even start the conversation.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Would not be smart to move Laine when his value is lower than ever. He has extreme potential and the Jets would be dumb to give up on him now.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Laine is getting the contract he wants if Winnipeg Jet management doesn't like that fact that's their problem Laine doesn't owe the Winnipeg Jets anything .

Everyone always forgets the part about Laine needing to actually SIGN the offer sheet. You can't just present it to him, he actually has to agree to sign it.

Laine loves Winnipeg, he's won't sign an offer sheet.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I started a pure hypothetical debate around a good old hockey trade that Bruins fans are 60-40% against but can actually argue:

Laine for McAvoy.

Most don't want to do it but I think that's what the Jets would look for.

Sign Stone.
Move Trouba.
Trade for McAvoy.

Laine out. Stone in.
Trouba out. McAvoy in.

Jets are a better team moving forward and have the assets from a Trouba trade to recover the moves form the Stone trade.
No thanks. It would take much more than McAvoy.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I hope you really don't believe that.

that was the case nylander wouldnt be getting more than ehlers snd matthews eouldnt have a worse contract than McDavid if you really believe GMs/teams let other teams dictate how they sign their players

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Everyone always forgets the part about Laine needing to actually SIGN the offer sheet. You can't just present it to him, he actually has to agree to sign it.

Laine loves Winnipeg, he's won't sign an offer sheet.
Sure he does but he'll still sign 10 000 000 per offer sheet .

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Sure he does but he'll still sign 10 000 000 per offer sheet .
There is more of a chance of Laine retiring after this season than there is of him signing an offer sheet. The Jets will make him a fair offer, they'll negotiate and Laine will sign. No muss, no fuss.

However, feel free to fantasize about an offer sheet if it makes you happy.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Since my post is the only one in the thread that used "untouchable", I assume you're referring to me.

My post was simply a response to someone who wasn't a Canes fan to let THEM know where we stood on those players. Wasn't making an offer.

Carry on. :)
Definitely not just you. To be fair, my comment extends beyond just this specific thread. I don’t blame people for preferring not to trade their best assets for Laine by the way. Just pointing out that it’s a waste of time to even discuss trades with an untouchable list of 2+.

It would be like me asking Sabres fans what it would take to get Eichel, while simultaneously claiming that Scheifele, Laine, and Morrissey are not available.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
There is more of a chance of Laine retiring after this season than there is of him signing an offer sheet. The Jets will make him a fair offer, they'll negotiate and Laine will sign. No muss, no fuss.

However, feel free to fantasize about an offer sheet if it makes you happy.
No player is turning down 10 000 000 per offer sheet . Just wait until some other restricted free agent that hasn't done what Laine has the last three seasons signs for more than 10 000 000 per. Winnipeg better get him signed before an offer sheet becomes an option or the will lose him.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
No player is turning down 10 000 000 per offer sheet . Just wait until some other restricted free agent that hasn't done what Laine has the last three seasons signs for more than 10 000 000 per. Winnipeg better get him signed before an offer sheet becomes an option or the will lose him.
I could not be any less concerned about an offer sheet. It won't happen, whether it becomes an option or not.

Reactions: TS Quint

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can you not see why a team might offer sheet Laine for Marner-esque money? He has the potential to be one of the best goal scorers ever. If I'm a team like Florida, I'd be happy to offer him $70/7.

Given Florida's record I'd take the picks and sign Stone with the $10m. But they will know whether they can sign Stone in June, so could trade Laine before he can get an offersheet.

I don't know why he would settle for a bridge if the market will pay him far more. Especially with a potential lockout soon, I would think agents are advising against bridges when possible.

Because bridging is perfect for prospects like Laine. If he bounces back he'll still only likely to get around $10m and if he doesn't you dodged a bullet. Agents might not like it but when their client is struggling their options are weakened. If they think he will bounce back, take a 1 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad