Value of: Laine in the off-season

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
For all the nonsense talked about offer sheets, Laine seems like the prime candidate for one.

Jets will 100% try to lowball him due to his massive slump, but I don't think Laine will have it. I could easily see another team taking advantage of the Jets botching Laine's development and offer-sheeting him $10M+ and the Jets won't be able to match.

This makes a ton of sense...couple that with the fact that Laine doesn’t like Paul Maurice.

Last edited:
Reactions: kujakatti

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Do people really think there couldn’t be more 40 goal scorers in the league if they played like Laine?

How many Cy Young-style goal scorers have been game-breakers in the NHL in the past couple, I don’t know, decades?

Can anyone even name a sniper who terrified the league with his goal scoring from day one but still couldn’t muster even incidental playmaking stats after 3 years in the NHL?

And why is the assumption that if he evolved to become a more complete player, it wouldn’t come at the cost of his 40+ goal status?

To me, Laine is a relic. A better fit for a previous era. I hope Chevy explores all value-worthy trade routes and only re-signs him to a bridge deal if need be. Guys like Wheeler and Schaifele deserve to have their team’s money spent in better ways.

I dislike the guy mostly because Jets fans on here boast about things that make me laugh but the kid has a great shot and scorer instincts. To say he’s a relic is pretty off, he needs to become a better complete player not a one trick pony.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
How many off the bottom teams become a top half team with Laine added?

Ottawa - No 1st this year....but I could live with their next 4 1st round picks
LA - I'll take their picks
Detroit - Gimme those picks
New Jersey - mmhmm....I want those picks
Edmonton - can't fit him under the cap
Anaheim - GIVE EM!
Vancouver - They will be a very strong team in a few years but I don't know if they have the cap space when everyone gets paid......they could be the one to pull it off.
Chicago - mmmmm picks
Arizona - GIVE! ME! THOSE! PICKS!
Colorado - Actually might be able to pull it off but still have goaltending and D issues.
Minnesota - Not enough cap
Rangers - Not enough cap I think
Florida - ALLLLL THE PICKS!
Philly - Might be able to pull it off but they are young and have guys that need to be paid coming up.
Buffalo - Don't think the cap will work.
Dallas - Maybeeeeee pull it off. It would put them over the top for sure.
This year's draft will already be over when Laine would be eligible for an offer sheet. 4 1sts would be 2020, 21, 22, 23.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Why is everyone so convinced that Laine's number 1 priority is getting paid as much as possible? Maybe it is, who knows? But maybe he's a guy who would happily take a salary in line with his peers. Maybe he's more interested in being on a winning team, or could be that he'd like to stick with his buddies on the team.
Is it impossible to believe that a 21 year-old kid (at the time of his signing) would feel pretty pleased with $8 or $9m?

It's not like he's a 27 year-old ufa KHL star finally free of his "or we'll break ypur knees" contract.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He really is the prime candidate for an offer sheet though, that's the thing.

His production has not been maximized on his current team due to his botched development / usage, and it's highly likely that his agent will recommend offer sheets as a way to cash in off an RFA contract. By no circumstances is he going to reccomend taking any sort of bridge or lowball offer, in the new era, RFA's can how make maximum $ straight out of an ELC..

$10M minimum is what the Jets will have to start out with.
Then the minimum compensation is 4 first round pick. Which team is giving up 4 firsts just to overpay Laine again?

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
stupid idea: kreider and hayes for laine +

what would the plus be (young d?), could this work for either team?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Guy is probably going to get something like 5x10M depending on if he wants to go the Matthews route or if he wants to go longer term. He's scored well over 100 goals in 3 seasons he's going to be paid appropriately. This RFA class is insane.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
My best guess is Laine will get an offer sheet of 4+ million from either the hurricanes or the Oilers and the Jets won't match.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Why is everyone so convinced that Laine's number 1 priority is getting paid as much as possible? Maybe it is, who knows? But maybe he's a guy who would happily take a salary in line with his peers. Maybe he's more interested in being on a winning team, or could be that he'd like to stick with his buddies on the team.
Is it impossible to believe that a 21 year-old kid (at the time of his signing) would feel pretty pleased with $8 or $9m?

It's not like he's a 27 year-old ufa KHL star finally free of his "or we'll break ypur knees" contract.
Ok, now you sound like a Leaf fan last summer. Stage 1, "everyone can fit", they will take discounts to be a winner. The next stage is Laine gets overpaid and the current stage is posting over and over how other RFAs are going to be overpaid in the future to justify how your GM got taken advantage of.

Lets keep it realistic. Hopefully for Jet fans the 2nd stage is just a fair contract and it can be done with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad