Value of: Laine in the off-season

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He’s having a down season, but he’s going to be an RFA and want a lot of money. Is WPG ready to commit $10 mil/year to him? If not, is the scenario where he’s a trade chip?

Asking specifically for Buffalo. Obviously Eichel and Dahlin are off the table.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't think Buffalo has any of the expendable pieces the Jets would be interested. Trading Laine will be a colossal mistake. I doubt he's getting 10M coming off a season where he's currently projected to finish with 50 points. A bridge might be beneficial for both parties

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Laine is resigning in winnipeg, probably a 2-3 year prove me contract! Wich will be good for both team.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Is he in any place to play hardball on his contract and command 10M?

I feel this only helps WPG moving forward. Get him on a far more reasonable cap hit...If another team offer-sheets- which seems unlikely, collect the picks, and build around Schief.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's really simple. The Jets simply say you have not earned that 10 million. He is not better than Wheeler who makes 8.25 million and just bought all UFA years.

Long term in the 7-8 million...or 2 year bridge in the 5-6 range.

And when Nylanders 6.9 is brought up, you simply say "We don't overpay like they did. Look at Wheeler and Scheifele as our leaders"

ello

Jun 12, 2018
If Laine did wind up being in play (with Stone signed long term), I’d imagine a Trouba replacement would be something the jets would be looking for in return. That or a young top 6 centreman with upside to fill Bryan little’s spot when he inevitably starts to fall offf.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If Laine did wind up being in play (with Stone signed long term), I’d imagine a Trouba replacement would be something the jets would be looking for in return. That or a young top 6 centreman with upside to fill Bryan little’s spot when he inevitably starts to fall offf.

So starting point would be Ristolainen + in this scenario?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He’s having a down season, but he’s going to be an RFA and want a lot of money. Is WPG ready to commit $10 mil/year to him? If not, is the scenario where he’s a trade chip?

"Hey we want your really expensive player but you can't have any of ours."

Oh okay well how about a 1st and your 15th to 20th best prospect.

Don't forget to leave the money on the table when you leave.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
If we could sign Stone in the offseason an offer sheet doesn’t worry me at all. 4 extra firsts to go big game hunting every trade deadline while we are contending mode.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
to Jets Mittelstadt, Ristolainen & 1st rd pick this year

to Sabres Laine

ello

Jun 12, 2018
So starting point would be Ristolainen + in this scenario?
Based on what the sabres have to offer I’d say so, but I’m personally wary of risto’s 5 v 5 underlying numbers and considering Trouba is used as our number 1 shutdown guy at even strength I don’t think that would be a great match.

The plus would probably have to be quite significant for this to interest the jets (Mittelstadt?) since there are probably some more suitable trade partners out ther e

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
"Hey we want your really expensive player but you can't have any of ours."

Oh okay well how about a 1st and your 15th to 20th best prospect.

Don't forget to leave the money on the table when you leave.

I didn’t say you couldn’t have anything valuable. I said you couldn’t have Eichel or Dahlin, which any reasonable person could understand.

Reactions: ello

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

trouba wanted a lot of money too. found out quick what it means to be an rfa. jets are not cheap they will pay what his play has earned him. and the next high draft pick the jets will trade will be their 1st high draft pick they trade.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I didn’t say you couldn’t have anything valuable. I said you couldn’t have Eichel or Dahlin, which any reasonable person could understand.

And I think it's pretty reasonable to want a highly skilled player back if we are trading one of our most highly skilled players.

If I put together a mish mash of picks and lesser players for Eichel.....how would you say you would feel about that?

Reactions: TS Quint

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
1st: he isn’t being traded. Period. That is about as likely to happen and the sun exploding
2: getting an offer sheet. That about as likely as number 1
3: most likely a 2-3 year bridge
4: while less likely by still possible, a long term 8 year deal

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The tired story is that you assume a player who's not going to hit 60 points will definitely get 10 million a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad