Value of: Laine in the off-season

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Try actually watching hockey sometimes and you'll gain an understanding of streaks.

To put Laine's scoring in perspective for you, Vancouver's golden boy scorer only has 21 goals. Laine has 25 and has only scored a couple times since December. So, I'd say we'll hold onto Laine. Maybe you can trade a meh scorer like Boesser to Buffalo to jump start your rebuild? You'd have to add pretty big though.

Go ahead and hold onto your lazy, unmotivated defense liability who hasn't been able to score playing on a stacked team with many great linemates (compared to Boeser who only has Pettersson). We'll keep our guy who's scoring at a higher GPG rate and can actually play away from the puck.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Go ahead and hold onto your lazy, unmotivated defense liability who hasn't been able to score playing on a stacked team with many great linemates (compared to Boeser who only has Pettersson). We'll keep our guy who's scoring at a higher GPG rate and can actually play away from the puck.
Deal. You hang onto your injury prone grinder and your excuses. We'll keep our elite goal scorer.

Reactions: Cellee

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My thought was anything under 9 million for 7 or 8 years is a near snap decision to sign him. Over 9 million is where I feel the balance of the bridge deal starts to interest jet fans and over 10 or the point of 4, 1sts for that offer sheet seems interesting and the bridge is ideal.

But I dont speak for everyone.

But a bridge won't happen. It doesn't make any sense at all for Laine's side. Under $9M is 100% out of the question.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But a bridge won't happen. It doesn't make any sense at all for Laine's side. Under $9M is 100% out of the question.
And over 9 makes no sense for the Jets considering Laine is on pace for 50 points. Not sure why that is being ignored.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Ok. Glad to hear your feelings. Care to to elaborate? Whose contract are you comparing him to?

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Winnipeg could really fix their future cap with a Laine trade. Say Winnipeg acquired Stone and was able to extend him what would be the teams main need in return?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hypothetical, Winnipeg lands Stone and the Oilers win the draft lottery. Would Winnipeg trade Laine for Hughes?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hypothetical, Winnipeg lands Stone and the Oilers win the draft lottery. Would Winnipeg trade Laine for Hughes?

i doubt the oilers do that. hughes could be a franchiseC. Laine might not even hit 50pts this year as an offense only winger

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i doubt the oilers do that. hughes could be a franchiseC. Laine might not even hit 50pts this year as an offense only winger

I haven't watched enough of Hughes to know what he looks like as a prospect but I wanted to toss out that hypothetical because it would help Winnipeg's cap and give the Oilers a RH sniper who happens to be buddies and a former WJC linemate of our recent 4th overall pick.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Chevy is really sold on Hughes it would be a good trade for both teams. I had proposed same idea in a Coyotes thread.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It's really simple. The Jets simply say you have not earned that 10 million. He is not better than Wheeler who makes 8.25 million and just bought all UFA years.

Long term in the 7-8 million...or 2 year bridge in the 5-6 range.

And when Nylanders 6.9 is brought up, you simply say "We don't overpay like they did. Look at Wheeler and Scheifele as our leaders"

This post made me laugh...you’re comparing Laine with two guys that are severely under paid based on production, one in Wheeler who will be past his prime in a year or two. Laine won’t take anything less than 9 million long term.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Laine isn't taking 8M on a LT deal and I'll be shocked if he takes a "show me" deal after potting 35ish in a "down" year. The Leafs destroyed this dream.

Yes, it’s the Leafs fault because other teams didn’t lock their guys up at high end deals. If you should blame anyone it should be the Oilers by inflating the market after what they paid Draisatl.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Deal. You hang onto your injury prone grinder and your excuses. We'll keep our elite goal scorer.

You two stop it. Don't make me come back there.

Reactions: Snowman and TheFlow

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Here is the difference though.

McDavid was best player in the league.
Matthews has been dubbed to be on that level BY LEAFS MGT.
Drai they paid their 2nd best player
Marner will get paid because the Leafs Mgt already showed their cards

The Jets can easily sit there and say AT BEST, Laine is the 3rd best forward. And he is having an awful year...something no one you listed had/are having. You think Marner gets 10 million if he is on pace for 50 points?

And that's the issue for Laine, he had a **** year in his contract year. Not one of the guys he will want his contract to be compared with, has had that. And the Jets are is a position to squeeze him for it. Take less on a long term deal in that 7-8 range, or bet on yourself on a 2 year deal.

Laine having a crap year this year will be great for the Jets and save them money. Just like how Marner having a great year is going to cost the Leafs more now than it did in the summer.

You’re hugely foolish if you think having one down year determines a player’s full value of his body of work lol. Laine is going to get paid because even with his down year his goal scoring on average the last 3 years has been well above average lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad