Speculation: Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Trouba for Kadri, Gardiner, 2020 1st (if he re-signs)

Leafs Re-Sign him 7 years x 7 million

Trade Zaitsev and Marleau in the Off Season

Nov 24, 2006
Of course after forcing Laine to work with Little and giving him no options whatsoever, what we are seeing is exactly what the Jets management wants us to see. They had ~half a season worth of data of this pair being the absolute worst with no chemistry and being 100% dysfunctional even coming into the 18-19. After they replaced Connor out of the equation the slump eventually was unavoidable (just like last year) and at the same time, an excellent opportunity/excuse for Maurice & Chev to take a full advantage of it in order to get Laine signed up as cheaply as possible (a project they started since the end of the first season). I've never seen a misuse of this proportion (while I've watched NHL for quite many years now) and if someone wonders why young player is playing below the par or struggling, then by all means enlighten yourself with some of the available details and data first (not that Laine himself has been perfect either).

After they demoted him to the 2nd PP at an absolute worst possible position for him, the team has scored 0 PP goals in the 4 last games. Yeah we're talking about the same player who scored the most PP goals last year and still remains 6th in the league as far as powerplay goals come. Even when he's not scoring goals, he's still fantastic puck distributor in the powerplay and those passes are almost as accurate as his shot (when it's going in). If anyone can explain the PP demotion by any other means, I'm all ears. None of this matters of course as long as Jets win with it's deep core.

As for Laine I think he will eventually request for a trade to get out of the doghouse or another team comes in and hands for first rounders for him. Either way, I think he's had enough of this team and will be elsewhere when the ELC finally expires if not sooner. Oh and of course you have Leafs fans taking the full treat from the circus, what else could anyone expect really. :D Some of them can't change who they are. He's not a finished product yet and lot of people will be enjoying salt yet again when Laine gets back on the track, most likely somewhere else however.

*Oh and out of these three I'm quite certain only Connor is staying (he's the only one that hasn't been mishandled or being smothered in the doghouse during his service for the Jets). Trouba had long ago expressed his wishes to get traded and Laine will most likely be doing the same sooner than later.*
Yes, THAT’S the Jets strategy - cripple Laine so they can save some money. What a silly argument.

Laine alone is responsible for this. Not Little, Maurice, PP1, the stick guy, etc.

Elite shot, but the rest of his game is barely AHL level this year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I seriously compared him to Brett Hull. Apparently, that was a knock because he looked like the next Mario to some. I said he had a production level in the SM-Liiga that was inline with Armia's regular season, and that it was far more likely he had a career comparable to Joel Armia, than one comparable to Mario Lemieux. That isn't a knock on anyone, that is just the nature of any prospect. The other thing I pointed out was that production of all 17 year olds who produced in SM-Liiga had to be examined if you are going to look at statistical comparables. I'd say the same about Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko right now. The odds of any player having a career comparable to Mario is minuscule considering there are about only 3 other careers in the past 70 years of the NHL that have reached that level. My bashing of Laine basically consisted of, I don't think he's better than Matthews, I don't think he should go 1, I believe Matthews is having the better rookie season and I think he has some limitations that will show up more on small-ice (lack of board work, average skating, and stationary positioning). Brett Hull had all of these, which is why he was somewhat dependent on having top centers.

You take shots at Leafs fans, and you wonder why people have an issue with you. I don't think I've been unfair to Laine at all. I've had plenty of opportunities to pile on how he's playing the last 2 months and have said very little. And, yes, you are preaching conspiracy theories. You are claiming they are purposefully having an asset play below his level for a contract when they are trying to contend for a cup in this given window. They aren't. That is out of line with how almost all NHL teams treat their young players. Now, they do make young players earn a spot higher in the line-up by playing well at lower levels. Most of the arguments have to do with what his overboard supporters say or said than anything tearing Laine down. The Scheifele/Laine line was riding metrics that appeared to be far from sustainable, even if you expect them to be among the elite lines in the league.

And, no. When you and a couple of your buddies made absolutely crazy predictions about Laine, you never said anything about Brian Little until you needed a scapegoat. I never heard anything about him needing to be away from Bryan Little until last year. Every time it is someone other than Laine's fault for why he isn't living up to expectations placed on him by some. If it isn't Little, it's Maurice. If he isn't with Little it's because Ehlers isn't finding him open, etc. It's never on Laine for a bunch of his fans.

Laine is a great player, but a limited one. I think the Jets staff want to see him work on rounding out the elements of his game so he can be more complete. That isn't sabotaging a player, that is a basic form of player development. Younger players get held to higher standards than vets a lot of the time, because coaches see the potential for more by challenging them. You generally aren't going to change a veteran player. The Jets want Laine to be an elite scorer carrying a second scoring unit. Wheeler is primarily a playmaker and Scheifele is a very adaptable offensive player and Connor is a capable finisher. Laine is on the 2nd PP unit because the first unit wasn't producing for a period of time, so they try small-things to jump start it. It's temporary (not a long-term conspiracy to not have to pay him), and you see this stuff happen with high-end young players all the time.

That's quite interesting cause as far as I can remember there never was any kind of Lemieux vs Armia kind of competition. Some people may have seen shades of Lemieux but you saw shades of Armia. Which again seemed even more strange cause you compared him to Armia but apparently then again at the same time saw a lot of Brett Hull in Laine, where Armia and Hull as players were really nothing alike. Anyway you kept the debate going even longer than I usually care to keep typing (which is absurdly long span of time since I actually enjoy this and don't run out of battery) up until someone came and asked you basically if you did that for living. I think he literally asked if there was a morning that you didn't click the Laine the topic just to discredit him. I think these points you were trying to make included "not fast enough for the NHL rink", "not able to score against NHL level goalkeepers" then whenever comparing points to Matthews "too small of sample size". Of course the age factor (7 months difference) didn't mean anything. Matthews won the Calder over Laine as the Jets decided to demote him to the second line at the for the last stretch of the season, what ~15 games where he just couldn't get things done with Little and yet still point-wise it was a close race looking at PPG/GPG alone. Suddenly position apparently became a factor though, and I can't remember the last time Calder nominees were judged in terms of what position they played at. Anyway I do agree that Matthews was the right pick since he didn't get injured and actually made it to 40 goals. I also agree that Matthews is the better player currently, but then again I used to think Barkov was better than Mackinnon just less than two years ago. Players develop in their own time and terms and some get more help than the others. Don't get too complacent, the jury is still out there and will be for quite a while.

I take shot at Leafs fans so they have issue with me. Okay. Howabout you, have you ever looked yourself in the mirror? Since I so carelessly and continuously take shots at Leafs fans, then would you mind to point out the topics that weren't Laine/Jets related where I came in guns blazing from lets say within the last past 12 months? The difference between you and I is I don't really care how another prospect is doing and I've long stopped bothering to take swings at lets say Matthews. Then again why would I do that? I respect him as a player and he seems to have a great future ahead of him. Nonetheless, I could easily point out how he has frozen at every single playoffs from the past 3 years. Then even going back in the time one could even make an argument of you orchestrating the campaign against Laine (basically non-stop spam in his topic), where I think I made one or two posts at the Matthews thread in total. So no, I don't just casually take swings at the Leafs when I please but when I see something like I pointed above, of course I bring it up. That's in my nature.

Just stop with the conspiracy crap already. Obviously you don't follow the Jets regularly enough to know any better. I asked you how did it benefit the team to have Roslovic in Laine's place in the first PP unit and have Laine working as screen in the second and where's the answer? In short: "Temporary solution nothing permanent". M'kay. The PP formations didn't work on the 1st game, didn't work on the 2nd game, not 3rd and now 4th (The Jets have 0 goals from 4 games). so if it's temporary and not working, why are they still forcing it? Alright, how do you explain the fact that out of all the top six quality forwards in the Jets, Laine is the only one who never got the proper showcase in the first line after 16-17? We are talking about players like Connor, Ehlers, Perreault etc, and do take into consideration that things weren't exactly working out in the 2nd line for Laine with Little so spreading the wealth really doesn't seem to cut it. How did rookie Connor immediately make the jump over Laine in the pecking order, a player who just came through from 36 goal season? How was Laine almost ripped off the ice every time the opposing net was empty while he was contending for the rocket? Of course these are just couple of things that actually happened. If you can provide a reasonable and convincing explanation to these then we can work out with some other examples (would be a long list so lets start with these). By the way, have you ever heard of a term called asset management? It's being applied in most of the modern day corporations.

Talking about space goats, does Hyman ring a bell? Have you checked Laine's stats with and without Little? Are you suggesting he's good center for him or what exactly are you trying to point out? As for these "crazy predictions" I thought I already explained that most who made predictions actually thought the Jets were going to give him a proper chance for his 20yo season but it never happened. And like I said, at least in my predictions I did take in account the possibility of him being stuck in the secondary role he has pretty much always been at. Now if you can prove otherwise, please go ahead and show me and the rest of the world these off-worldly expectations I set upon him.

Laine is work-in-progress. Had his self-confidence not been decimated (starting point = as far away from Little as possible) he could and would still bring in results most of the nights, just like in 16-17 and just like in 17-18. Instead of giving him a well earned chance to prove himself away from the one player he least gets along with on the ice, that's probably what we would be seeing at the moment. The Jets management saw differently and again tried to force something that didn't function and eventually here we are. It's a set-back but nothing permanent and Laine will surface yet again. With that said, I never claimed all his problems were inflected by the others but the support he's been given (and ice time over the years) certainly hasn't helped him moving onward with getting consistent results. Now when I said work-in-progress I expect him to take skating as the priority now that he's had enough off-seasons to work on the sheer strength and once that aspect is where it needs to be, maybe then he could even drag someone like Little along, but obviously he's still a year or two away from that. We'll find out due time.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yes, THAT’S the Jets strategy - cripple Laine so they can save some money. What a silly argument.

Laine alone is responsible for this. Not Little, Maurice, PP1, the stick guy, etc.

Elite shot, but the rest of his game is barely AHL level this year.

Yeah, I mean Pulkkinen could have scored 36 and 44 goals easily as well had he just been drafted higher, ha.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Connor is a typical player you probably 'should' let go. He would never put up the same numbers for a less strong organization...

Trouba has gone through hell to get his pay-day, I would be surprised if he gave that up, but you never know. Maybe he ends up feeling really 'at home' in Winnipeg and sign a long term deal. But it does seem likely that he will go to UFA. Also don't think he will be traded, who wants to trade a significant asset for a player that will get paid absolute top UFA money instantly?

Laine will probably not be hard to lock up. He is young and will get a heck of a pay-day, no matter what.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's quite interesting cause as far as I can remember there never was any kind of Lemieux vs Armia kind of competition. Some people may have seen shades of Lemieux but you saw shades of Armia. Which again seemed even more strange cause you compared him to Armia but apparently then again at the same time saw a lot of Brett Hull in Laine, where Armia and Hull as players were really nothing alike. Anyway you kept the debate going even longer than I usually care to keep typing (which is absurdly long span of time since I actually enjoy this and don't run out of battery) up until someone came and asked you basically if you did that for living. I think he literally asked if there was a morning that you didn't click the Laine the topic just to discredit him. I think these points you were trying to make included "not fast enough for the NHL rink", "not able to score against NHL level goalkeepers" then whenever comparing points to Matthews "too small of sample size". Of course the age factor (7 months difference) didn't mean anything. Matthews won the Calder over Laine as the Jets decided to demote him to the second line at the for the last stretch of the season, what ~15 games where he just couldn't get things done with Little and yet still point-wise it was a close race looking at PPG/GPG alone. Suddenly position apparently became a factor though, and I can't remember the last time Calder nominees were judged in terms of what position they played at. Anyway I do agree that Matthews was the right pick since he didn't get injured and actually made it to 40 goals. I also agree that Matthews is the better player currently, but then again I used to think Barkov was better than Mackinnon just less than two years ago. Players develop in their own time and terms and some get more help than the others. Don't get too complacent, the jury is still out there and will be for quite a while.

I take shot at Leafs fans so they have issue with me. Okay. Howabout you, have you ever looked yourself in the mirror? Since I so carelessly and continuously take shots at Leafs fans, then would you mind to point out the topics that weren't Laine/Jets related where I came in guns blazing from lets say within the last past 12 months? The difference between you and I is I don't really care how another prospect is doing and I've long stopped bothering to take swings at lets say Matthews. Then again why would I do that? I respect him as a player and he seems to have a great future ahead of him. Nonetheless, I could easily point out how he has frozen at every single playoffs from the past 3 years. Then even going back in the time one could even make an argument of you orchestrating the campaign against Laine (basically non-stop spam in his topic), where I think I made one or two posts at the Matthews thread in total. So no, I don't just casually take swings at the Leafs when I please but when I see something like I pointed above, of course I bring it up. That's in my nature.

Just stop with the conspiracy crap already. Obviously you don't follow the Jets regularly enough to know any better. I asked you how did it benefit the team to have Roslovic in Laine's place in the first PP unit and have Laine working as screen in the second and where's the answer? In short: "Temporary solution nothing permanent". M'kay. The PP formations didn't work on the 1st game, didn't work on the 2nd game, not 3rd and now 4th (The Jets have 0 goals from 4 games). so if it's temporary and not working, why are they still forcing it? Alright, how do you explain the fact that out of all the top six quality forwards in the Jets, Laine is the only one who never got the proper showcase in the first line after 16-17? We are talking about players like Connor, Ehlers, Perreault etc, and do take into consideration that things weren't exactly working out in the 2nd line for Laine with Little so spreading the wealth really doesn't seem to cut it. How did rookie Connor immediately make the jump over Laine in the pecking order, a player who just came through from 36 goal season? How was Laine almost ripped off the ice every time the opposing net was empty while he was contending for the rocket? Of course these are just couple of things that actually happened. If you can provide a reasonable and convincing explanation to these then we can work out with some other examples (would be a long list so lets start with these). By the way, have you ever heard of a term called asset management? It's being applied in most of the modern day corporations.

Talking about space goats, does Hyman ring a bell? Have you checked Laine's stats with and without Little? Are you suggesting he's good center for him or what exactly are you trying to point out? As for these "crazy predictions" I thought I already explained that most who made predictions actually thought the Jets were going to give him a proper chance for his 20yo season but it never happened. And like I said, at least in my predictions I did take in account the possibility of him being stuck in the secondary role he has pretty much always been at. Now if you can prove otherwise, please go ahead and show me and the rest of the world these off-worldly expectations I set upon him.

Laine is work-in-progress. Had his self-confidence not been decimated (starting point = as far away from Little as possible) he could and would still bring in results most of the nights, just like in 16-17 and just like in 17-18. Instead of giving him a well earned chance to prove himself away from the one player he least gets along with on the ice, that's probably what we would be seeing at the moment. The Jets management saw differently and again tried to force something that didn't function and eventually here we are. It's a set-back but nothing permanent and Laine will surface yet again. With that said, I never claimed all his problems were inflected by the others but the support he's been given (and ice time over the years) certainly hasn't helped him moving onward with getting consistent results. Now when I said work-in-progress I expect him to take skating as the priority now that he's had enough off-seasons to work on the sheer strength and once that aspect is where it needs to be, maybe then he could even drag someone like Little along, but obviously he's still a year or two away from that. We'll find out due time.
I literally never said he played like Armia. If you can quote me on that, it'd be much appreciated. What I did say was his stats in the SM-Liiga that year were in line with Armia. And, when looking at how his scoring will carry over, you had to examine prior history. Laine dramatically beat prior history, Puljujarvi didn't. I do remember saying things a long these lines. But, never did I say he played like Armia or that him becoming an Armia level player was the most likely outcome. What I did say, is him becoming a Joel Armia player, was more likely than him becoming a Mario Lemieux level player. If you can't interpret the differences between those statements, I don't know what to say. How you either interpretted my comments or remember them, and how you are phrasing them is intellectually dishonest. I specifically remember mentioning Heatley and Hull, two goalscoring wingers who were at their peak with playmakers like Oates and Spezza. Here is what I remember saying about Laine and Armia. And here is what I remember saying about Laine stylistically.

Thats what I see Laine as. Opportunistic sniper with a truly elite shot and high-IQ on where to be, I'd say a mix between Hull and Heatley. Don't see Mario outside some of the size (but you could easily say Sundin) and outside of shot I don't really see Stammer or Ovi, both have or had elite speed and made a killing off the rush.

I know he's (Armia) not Laine's level, but what he did in the FEL and how that transferred over absolutely has to be factored into any Laine projection. You can't just say Laine doesn't look like this guy so his statistics are completely irrelevant.

I was pointing purely as a statistical analysis. He's a great prospect. this all devolved from someone saying that he was comparable to Lemiuex (more than stylistically), and I said he's more likely to end up like Armia. He has flaws, lets see how he does in the NHL. McKenzie made it sound like Matthews locked up one at the tourny, we'll see how his final rankings go. And I'd appreciate a link to that Dreger interview. Its constantly mentioned. Until its shown he can create separation on small ice its an obvious worry.

Teams don't always put their 3 best offensive players on one line. It is actually rare (Boston, Colorado and Buffalo being notable examples this year). That is because they believe in spreading their offensive wealth. You believe that doing this is just to drive down Laine's contract value. Do you think the Leafs not playing Matthews with Marner was to drive down Matthews contract? Or playing him on the 2nd PP unit for his first two years? Or, playing him with Hyman? No, it's what they deemed was best for his development. If it cost him money, that is just a secondary effect (although it likely didn't). That is a regular occurrence in the NHL. Tons of young players get this treatment. You claim it is abnormal and purposely done to drive down Laine's cap hit. I highly doubt that is the case. It's done to try to develop the player. That is by challenging him you are improving the asset. Laine is more valuable if he can drive his line offensively than he is if you need to pair him with Scheifele. What is best for Laine's individual numbers can come into conflict with the Jets. You view that as a plan to purposefully deflate his numbers rather than a very common developmental practice in the NHL.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I literally never said he played like Armia. If you can quote me on that, it'd be much appreciated. What I did say was his stats in the SM-Liiga that year were in line with Armia. And, when looking at how his scoring will carry over, you had to examine prior history. Laine dramatically beat prior history, Puljujarvi didn't. I do remember saying things a long these lines. But, never did I say he played like Armia or that him becoming an Armia level player was the most likely outcome. What I did say, is him becoming a Joel Armia player, was more likely than him becoming a Mario Lemieux level player. If you can't interpret the differences between those statements, I don't know what to say. How you either interpretted my comments or remember them, and how you are phrasing them is intellectually dishonest. I specifically remember mentioning Heatley and Hull, two goalscoring wingers who were at their peak with playmakers like Oates and Spezza. Here is what I remember saying about Laine and Armia. And here is what I remember saying about Laine stylistically.

Well lets just say you said a lot of things and the last time we had this discussion you stated that you regarded almost everything, if not everything valid (what was said before and after the draft). Considering the amount of bs there was, I was just baffled how one couldn't admit being wrong even about some of the aspects that clearly got proven invalid as soon as Laine hit the NHL ice. I could go check the trash yard but that's not something that I'd feel I'd need to resort to.

Teams don't always put their 3 best offensive players on one line. It is actually rare (Boston, Colorado and Buffalo being notable examples this year). That is because they believe in spreading their offensive wealth. You believe that doing this is just to drive down Laine's contract value. Do you think the Leafs not playing Matthews with Marner was to drive down Matthews contract? Or playing him on the 2nd PP unit for his first two years? Or, playing him with Hyman? No, it's what they deemed was best for his development. If it cost him money, that is just a secondary effect (although it likely didn't). That is a regular occurrence in the NHL. Tons of young players get this treatment. You claim it is abnormal and purposely done to drive down Laine's cap hit. I highly doubt that is the case. It's done to try to develop the player. That is by challenging him you are improving the asset. Laine is more valuable if he can drive his line offensively than he is if you need to pair him with Scheifele. What is best for Laine's individual numbers can come into conflict with the Jets. You view that as a plan to purposefully deflate his numbers rather than a very common developmental practice in the NHL.

If you compare Matthews now and Matthews then, do you see stagnation in development or anything else alarming? You can't just handpick players and compare their development under different circumstances. Can't imagine Maurice taking a summer visit to Tampere/Turku to "sort whatever things out".

During Laine's first season he was nailing guys at the walls, being creative offensive dynamo along with having the ability to score goals that most hockey players could only dream about. Now if you look at him today, it's almost like a night and day. If there's anyone who thinks Laine being forced to play with Little day in day out has somehow carved him into a better complete player, I couldn't but question their sense of judgement. Every single hockey fan knows exactly what happened immediately when Stastny arrived and Little was out of the picture. Laine was that player again, and even more. It's almost strange how short some peoples' memories are. I also don't sign up to the development idea of exposing youngster to his weaknesses and leaving them hanging (exactly what happened in the first half of 17-18) and what's happening right now. Coaches are supposed to find and use their strengths instead and let other aspects improve over time and with guidance. Instead of helping him find his streak again, lets demote him to second PP in a position the least effective considering the skill-set. Maybe a couple of 10-12+ minute games fires a guy up? How are these supposed to help exactly?

Laine isn't a line driver at this stage of his trajectory and they should just accept that and let him work out his issues with skating and other stuff first. There's no other explanation with how they've handled him than cap hit and I already brought down some of the underlying reasons that only supports the concept and like I said, if you can provide a reasonable and convincing reasons, I'm more than happy to hear you out. Using team's best forwards in one line doesn't make sense considering the fact that the second line is an absolute mess and isn't fixing itself over time as we have seen already. If you disagree or it's something, refuse to contemplate or what not, then by all means I'm not here to judge you for that. For someone who's missed maybe two or three Jets games within the past two and a half seasons I do think I have more extensive knowledge and perspective over the matter however. They could have tried to kick-start Laine with Scheifele at any point cause Little and Wheelers have a long a successful history and yet they haven't even bothered. If that alone doesn't raise questions then I don't know what will. I mean what if it worked better than expected (or better than the current S-W combo), how would they justify breaking it up. The Jets can afford to have a non-functional Laine in the line up cause the depth is so insane they'll win most of the games anyway.

Don't really have much expectations for the remaining of the year unless they come up with acquisition, but I highly doubt that. It's not going to play out well in the playoffs. As for the topic, I do think there's a reasonable chance for Laine to change scenario and Trouba is almost already kind of granted. The Jets kind of broke their own principles in Trouba's case by not letting him go since as far as I can remember they've priorly stated that anyone who doesn't want to be there doesn't have to, yet he gets dragged on until he's finally on the UFA status.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well lets just say you said a lot of things and the last time we had this discussion you stated that you regarded almost everything, if not everything valid (what was said before and after the draft). Considering the amount of bs there was, I was just baffled how one couldn't admit being wrong even about some of the aspects that clearly got proven invalid as soon as Laine hit the NHL ice. I could go check the trash yard but that's not something that I'd feel I'd need to resort to.

If you compare Matthews now and Matthews then, do you see stagnation in development or anything else alarming? You can't just handpick players and compare their development under different circumstances. Can't imagine Maurice taking a summer visit to Tampere/Turku to "sort whatever things out".

During Laine's first season he was nailing guys at the walls, being creative offensive dynamo along with having the ability to score goals that most hockey players could only dream about. Now if you look at him today, it's almost like a night and day. If there's anyone who thinks Laine being forced to play with Little day in day out has somehow carved him into a better complete player, I couldn't but question their sense of judgement. Every single hockey fan knows exactly what happened immediately when Stastny arrived and Little was out of the picture. Laine was that player again, and even more. It's almost strange how short some peoples' memories are. I also don't sign up to the development idea of exposing youngster to his weaknesses and leaving them hanging (exactly what happened in the first half of 17-18) and what's happening right now. Coaches are supposed to find and use their strengths instead and let other aspects improve over time and with guidance. Instead of helping him find his streak again, lets demote him to second PP in a position the least effective considering the skill-set. Maybe a couple of 10-12+ minute games fires a guy up? How are these supposed to help exactly?

Laine isn't a line driver at this stage of his trajectory and they should just accept that and let him work out his issues with skating and other stuff first. There's no other explanation with how they've handled him than cap hit and I already brought down some of the underlying reasons that only supports the concept and like I said, if you can provide a reasonable and convincing reasons, I'm more than happy to hear you out. Using team's best forwards in one line doesn't make sense considering the fact that the second line is an absolute mess and isn't fixing itself over time as we have seen already. If you disagree or it's something, refuse to contemplate or what not, then by all means I'm not here to judge you for that. For someone who's missed maybe two or three Jets games within the past two and a half seasons I do think I have more extensive knowledge and perspective over the matter however. They could have tried to kick-start Laine with Scheifele at any point cause Little and Wheelers have a long a successful history and yet they haven't even bothered. If that alone doesn't raise questions then I don't know what will. I mean what if it worked better than expected (or better than the current S-W combo), how would they justify breaking it up. The Jets can afford to have a non-functional Laine in the line up cause the depth is so insane they'll win most of the games anyway.

Don't really have much expectations for the remaining of the year unless they come up with acquisition, but I highly doubt that. It's not going to play out well in the playoffs. As for the topic, I do think there's a reasonable chance for Laine to change scenario and Trouba is almost already kind of granted. The Jets kind of broke their own principles in Trouba's case by not letting him go since as far as I can remember they've priorly stated that anyone who doesn't want to be there doesn't have to, yet he gets dragged on until he's finally on the UFA status.
I can admit things I said about him were shown to be incorrect such as how quickly he played and scored at the NHL level at 5v5. I just never said he played like Armia or that is who we should expect him to produce like. I constantly comapred him to Hull, Heatley or a Semin who seemed to care. No one is going to be 100% right when talking about 17 year old kids and projecting them to the NHL. That's just the nature of things.

NHL coaches are not really developmental coaches. Their primary goal is to win, and they don't dramatically change things unless they are losing. They are primarily focused on the short-term, as that is what keeps them employed. Now, a GM can and will step in if they think it is significantly damaging the team's goals or long-term plans. Since the start of 2017/18, and the current line-up set-ups the Jets are winning at a rate they haven't seen in Jets 2.0 history. The prior year, they were not a great team overall. Since they found a line-up construct which has led to their first and third lines being highly effective, they are reluctant to dramatically alter it. You see coaches do insanely frustrating things all the time, but I've never seen it as a malicious attempt to destroy a guys numbers so they can get him cheaper. Generally, that level of management will create significant resentment in the negotiations and lead to the side that feels disenfranchised playing hardball. The way Chevy runs his team, it doesn't strike me as a team that would purposefully do it. They put Scheifele in a position to get paid as a youngster (giving him significant time with Wheeler as he approached RFA), and they paid Wheeler significantly as he was approaching UFA (while putting him in a position to put up big numbers). It just doesn't strike me as a way an NHL team operates, and these decisions don't lead me to believe that it is happening here. The reasons it is happening is basically, they are winning with the current line-up construct, they have 3 out of 4 lines working (which makes them less likely to split than having 1 line working and 3 not), and finally, they probably don't want Connor to be the main scoring threat on the 2nd line because they believe Laine is more likely to accomplish it. Maybe when Ehlers's comes back, they'll trust Ehlers and Connor to run on the 2nd line and finally give Laine that LW spot with Scheifele and Wheeler. Apparently, Scheifele and Wheeler prefer to play together and given the success of that line, they are unlikely to split those 2 up.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Connor is a typical player you probably 'should' let go. He would never put up the same numbers for a less strong organization...

Trouba has gone through hell to get his pay-day, I would be surprised if he gave that up, but you never know. Maybe he ends up feeling really 'at home' in Winnipeg and sign a long term deal. But it does seem likely that he will go to UFA. Also don't think he will be traded, who wants to trade a significant asset for a player that will get paid absolute top UFA money instantly?

Laine will probably not be hard to lock up. He is young and will get a heck of a pay-day, no matter what.[/QUOTE]

That would be a big mistake.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No thanks. The Jets should be able to get a better offer than that fairly easily.
I will go on record saying the Jets won't get a Kadri, Gardiner, and a conditional 1st return for Trouba....let alone a better one.

Having Kadri locked in for 3 more years at $4.5 million for the Jets would be a huge win for them. Gardiner replaces Trouba for this year...certainly not as good...but you added a huge upgrade at C locked in for below market value for 4 playoff runs.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I will go on record saying the Jets won't get a Kadri, Gardiner, and a conditional 1st return for Trouba....let alone a better one.

Having Kadri locked in for 3 more years at $4.5 million for the Jets would be a huge win for them. Gardiner replaces Trouba for this year...certainly not as good...but you added a huge upgrade at C locked in for below market value for 4 playoff runs.
I’ll go on record saying I can’t stand Kadri and don’t want him on the Jets. He’s a weasel.
So zero interest in any trade involving him.

Reactions: Snowman

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Laine bridge
Connor gets around the Ehlers deal with inflation
Trouba gets sign and traded in the offseason, hopefully in a deal or flipping that gets a replacement Trouba

Reactions: Heldig

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You realize that Trouba is unsigned with one year until UFA right? He is of rental value this summer. A top pairing RD rental value. But a rental.

He's an RFA at the end of this season and will be traded as such. He's one year away from UFA if the team he gets traded to decides to sign him to a 1 year contract.

To claim he has the same value as a rental is completely disingenuous.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad