Speculation: Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's an RFA at the end of this season and will be traded as such. He's one year away from UFA if the team he gets traded to decides to sign him to a 1 year contract.

To claim he has the same value as a rental is completely disingenuous.

No, no it's not.

How many years of control does he have?

One year. Thats a rental.

Reactions: klabob

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I will go on record saying the Jets won't get a Kadri, Gardiner, and a conditional 1st return for Trouba....let alone a better one.

Having Kadri locked in for 3 more years at $4.5 million for the Jets would be a huge win for them. Gardiner replaces Trouba for this year...certainly not as good...but you added a huge upgrade at C locked in for below market value for 4 playoff runs.
We'll have to agree to disagree there. I don't see Kadri as a huge upgrade on Little, as I don't see him as a fit on our second line. Also, he definitely won't beat out Lowry as our shut down center. As for Gardiner, he's UFA, so we can just sign him if we want him, no need to trade for him.

Just not enough there to make me consider moving a top pair RHD.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He's an RFA at the end of this season and will be traded as such. He's one year away from UFA if the team he gets traded to decides to sign him to a 1 year contract.

To claim he has the same value as a rental is completely disingenuous.
It's not disingenuous. He's arbitration eligible, so the team has only one season of control.
It's the same as trading for a player with one year left on his contract because that's as much assurance as you have that Trouba will be on your team.

Reactions: Devonator

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It's not disingenuous. He's arbitration eligible, so the team has only one season of control.
It's the same as trading for a player with one year left on his contract because that's as much assurance as you have that Trouba will be on your team.

Do you not think that a team trading for him will have contract talks before hand? Being one year away from UFA and being one year away from RFA are totally different scenarios. Sure he could go to arbitration. He could also retire. The team he gets traded to would surely do their due diligence before hand.

There is a massive difference between "The team has one year of control" and "If this particular scenario happens, the team has one year of control."

Reactions: Fables and Snowman

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Do you not think that a team trading for him will have contract talks before hand? Being one year away from UFA and being one year away from RFA are totally different scenarios. Sure he could go to arbitration. He could also retire. The team he gets traded to would surely do their due diligence before hand.

There is a massive difference between "The team has one year of control" and "If this particular scenario happens, the team has one year of control."
There is none since the team only has one year of control.
You are basically saying that any player with one year left on their contract is a long term asset since they could be signed long-term and that's disingenuous.

Reactions: Tripod

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
There is none since the team only has one year of control.
You are basically saying that any player with one year left on their contract is a long term asset since they could be signed long-term and that's disingenuous.

The person on a one year contract is locked into a contract for one year.

An RFA is locked into zero years and will more than likely negotiate a contract.

If the fact that he CAN take it to arbitration means that he absolutely will, then we should start treating all RFA players like 3 year rentals.

Again, this whole premise started with someone trying to trade UFA rights as a valuable asset....that's ZERO years.

Reactions: Snowman

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Says it right in my post

LOL he's a weasel that's your reason?? Yup, he gets under the players skin, forces penalties and will score you 30 goals a year. Jets fans would love him but it's ok keep Laine who will take you to the bank for being one dimensional.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The person on a one year contract is locked into a contract for one year.
An RFA is locked into zero years and will more than likely negotiate a contract.
If the fact that he CAN take it to arbitration means that he absolutely will, then we should start treating all RFA players like 3 year rentals.
Again, this whole premise started with someone trying to trade UFA rights as a valuable asset....that's ZERO years.
A RFA like Trouba is locked into one year (unless the team decides they don't want that year) and could opt to be locked up long term, just like any player on the last year of their contract.

When have they not been treated like that? Plus, we should look at Trouba's contract negotiation history to inform us of what he wants. He's making all the right move to hit UFA as young as he can.

Another poster making a ridiculous trade offer doesn't change the fact that you are wrong about this.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
LOL he's a weasel that's your reason?? Yup, he gets under the players skin, forces penalties and will score you 30 goals a year. Jets fans would love him but it's ok keep Laine who will take you to the bank for being one dimensional.

Kadri is a fine player, but I agree with Bat he’s not a great fit on the Jets as a 2C.....chemistry wouldn’t fit. This has nothing to do with him being a pest, he’s just not a good fit as our 2C.....chemistry wise

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
A RFA like Trouba is locked into one year (unless the team decides they don't want that year) and could opt to be locked up long term, just like any player on the last year of their contract.

When have they not been treated like that? Plus, we should look at Trouba's contract negotiation history to inform us of what he wants. He's making all the right move to hit UFA as young as he can.

Another poster making a ridiculous trade offer doesn't change the fact that you are wrong about this.

He is locked into one year if he decided to go to arbitration. It's all mute in the end because Trouba is not being traded without a contract being negotiated before hand.

If you think we are going to value him as a UFA in a trade then I will just continue to shake my head.

Surely you must agree that contract negotiations in the offseason are a lot different than they are mid-to-late season when a player is a few months away from hitting the open market.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Kadri is a fine player, but I agree with Bat he’s not a great fit on the Jets as a 2C.....chemistry wouldn’t fit. This has nothing to do with him being a pest, he’s just not a good fit as our 2C.....chemistry wise

That's a valid point but stating he's a weasel as the reason someone doesn't want someone on their team isn't a true hockey fan.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
That's a valid point but stating he's a weasel as the reason someone doesn't want someone on their team isn't a true hockey fan.
First, I don’t need to explain or justify my opinion to you or anyone.
Secondly, I could care less what you think, want, or like.
Third, as far as you getting a point that “you” consider valid, all i can say is “what ever helps you sleep at night.”
And last, I’ve been watching hockey a long time and don’t need you validation on whether or not I’m a “true” fan or not.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Some fans don’t like the Brad Marchand and Kadri’s of the world.....their from the same pest mould.....I don’t mind pests

Reactions: Flair Hay

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Some fans don’t like the Brad Marchand and Kadri’s of the world.....their from the same pest mould.....I don’t mind pests
They have no place in the sport, or should have no place in the sport, as obviously they are there and for some reason coveted by some.

Reactions: klabob

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nonsense. If he's being traded, he's being signed to more than 1 year.

At UFA prices. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. He has limited team control. Meaning that even if (as you rightfully assume) a team dealing for him is doing it with the idea of re-signing him, they are doing so at UFA prices. Which means the return in draft or player capital going back in a deal will be way less than is in your head.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Market has seemingly changed a lot in the last year or so with top young RFA's. I could see him signing around the 7 million mark for slightly less then max term. Say a 7x6 deal in and around there with it pushing to 8x8 for a max term. Going to be an interesting off season for a lot of teams though with all this young talent needing new contracts.

Connor isn't worth 8 for 8 if wheelers is worth 6 for 7
I would offer connor something similar
6.5-7 for 7 or 8 years

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
At UFA prices. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. He has limited team control. Meaning that even if (as you rightfully assume) a team dealing for him is doing it with the idea of re-signing him, they are doing so at UFA prices. Which means the return in draft or player capital going back in a deal will be way less than is in your head.

Heard that one before.

It's always the justification used to try and trade pennies for a dollar.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He is locked into one year if he decided to go to arbitration. It's all mute in the end because Trouba is not being traded without a contract being negotiated before hand.

If you think we are going to value him as a UFA in a trade then I will just continue to shake my head.

Surely you must agree that contract negotiations in the offseason are a lot different than they are mid-to-late season when a player is a few months away from hitting the open market.
I assume Trouba's ask will be known publicly and anyone trying to get him will be well aware of his demand for a 7.5M long-term deal (or so)
I never said to value him like a UFA, but like someone with one more year on his contract.
Yeah, they are.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
They have no place in the sport, or should have no place in the sport, as obviously they are there and for some reason coveted by some.

Some don’t like it, I respect their opinion but I have no issues with it as long as it doesn’t lead to dangerous plays

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad