Speculation: Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Trouba will be traded this offseason, hopefully for a young RHD. Outside chance Jets re-sign him if they give him his $7-8 million AAV request.

I'd give Connor a long-term contract at $7 million x 8 years.

I'd bridge Laine at 2 or 3 years x $6-7 million per season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I feel like 7 million is light for Connor but other then that makes sense for the most part.

Connor is very similar to Ehlers, he’s actually analytically worse then Ehlers in multi ways. One could also add Nylander as a comparable also. Poster used a 8 year term which was more then Ehlers & Nylander but I can’t see one year having a “significant” impact on the AAV albeit it will increase it.....keeping in mind Ehlers is 6 million and Nylander is 6.9 million. Time will tell, but I like Connor a lot. Good farm kid.

Laine would only get a bridge from me or a lower type of long term deal from me until he proves himself more. If he wanted 10+ million I would trade him in a blink of an eye or hope for a huge OS and gladly take the 1st rd picks.

Trouba will be traded this summer as a RFA, return will depend on who’s offering it but I would be targeting 2C and/or top 4 D prospects or young roster players. Might also consider purely picks if enough were offered.....but that’s less likely.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Connor is very similar to Ehlers, he’s actually analytically worse then Ehlers in multi ways. One could also add Nylander as a comparable also. Poster used a 8 year term which was more then Ehlers & Nylander but I can’t see one year having a “significant” impact on the AAV albeit it will increase it.....keeping in mind Ehlers is 6 million and Nylander is 6.9 million. Time will tell, but I like Connor a lot. Good farm kid.

Laine would only get a bridge from me or a lower type of long term deal from me until he proves himself more. If he wanted 10+ million I would trade him in a blink of an eye or hope for a huge OS and gladly take the 1st rd picks.

Trouba will be traded this summer as a RFA, return will depend on who’s offering it but I would be targeting 2C and/or top 4 D prospects or young roster players. Might also consider purely picks if enough were offered.....but that’s less likely.
Market has seemingly changed a lot in the last year or so with top young RFA's. I could see him signing around the 7 million mark for slightly less then max term. Say a 7x6 deal in and around there with it pushing to 8x8 for a max term. Going to be an interesting off season for a lot of teams though with all this young talent needing new contracts.

Reactions: valente317

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Market has seemingly changed a lot in the last year or so with top young RFA's. I could see him signing around the 7 million mark for slightly less then max term. Say a 7x6 deal in and around there with it pushing to 8x8 for a max term. Going to be an interesting off season for a lot of teams though with all this young talent needing new contracts.

Yeh there’s about a half a dozen RFA around the league that will be interesting

Reactions: HavocWreaker

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hate seeing teams come into cap stress due to drafting well. Other teams that go sign free agents to massive deals i dont feel bad for, but when teams draft well, it sucks

Anyways, trouba is gone definately.. Connor and Laine stay 100%

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Laine's play this season has cost him a lot of money. A bridge in his case is in the best interest of all parties.
36 goals. 44 goals. Now on pace for 38.

He's essentially a 40 goal scorer at 20, I don't see why he would not command 40 goal scorer money. With cap increases that's something like 8*10.

I guess he could take a bridge, why would he?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

He's essentially a 40 goal scorer at 20, I don't see why he would not command 40 goal scorer money. With cap increases that's something like 8*10.

Jets would probably go long term like 8x8. But that then tells you why Laine would accept a bridge; to re-build his value.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010

The issue is that he's currently on pace for 53 points this season.

Typical 40-goal scorers put up 80+ points a year.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Laine is the guy to trade, but maybe not yet. For now they should bridge him for as cheap as possible. I’m fine with giving Trouba 7-8 on a long term deal. Connor will be interesting but I doubt he gets more than 7.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
And everyone only talks about Toronto’s Cap.

Not true, in every single thread on the trade board the Jets cap is discussed as a significant concern.......even on the Jets board it's constantly discussed (I would know bc I mod both & see it every day). It's not discussed as much as the Leafs true, but that's because TO is the centre of the NHL and has the biggest fan base. With that title of the biggest fan base and hockey central there are both positives & negatives......of course fans & media discuss the Leafs cap more. Expecting anything else would be silly.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Cause he's a one trick pony who has become increasingly reliant on the PP to score because teams have adjusted to him, that's why.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Cause he's a one trick pony who has become increasingly reliant on the PP to score because teams have adjusted to him, that's why.

with one of the best shots in the game and who scored an insane amount of goals in one month earlier this season. I'm not a Jets fan, but it seems like recency bias.

Heck there was threads this season about him having the best shot in the league by far, no comparison, and that he was better than Matthews.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
No it just seems that way due to the Leafs having a fan base about 2 million fans larger then the Jets, if not more. Over on the Jets board there is a pile of talk about the cap situation.
Not to nit pick but the fan base is much larger than 2 million fans. Let's get real here.

Anyways, they'll let Trouba walk. Does he even want to be there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad