Laine already benched?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Laine has his faults but on that replay you can blame the 3 other cbj players in the slot before you blame him for that goal. He is supposed to cover the defenseman on his wing and not help in the slot. The goal happened because the cbj dman thought it was a good idea to go for the hit and moved out of position leaving McGinn alone for the rebound. while the Center and other D were standing side by side.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I don't have a horse in this fight but from a drama perspective, I'm gonna hope both Laine and Torts remain stubborn lol. Laine is in talented enough that he'll always find someone who's gonna pay him, so he won't be pushed around if he doesn't to. Could be a good old fashioned power struggle brewing.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
To be fair, I don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it out to be. Yet.

Too much of a microscope on this already.
Unless Laine told him to go F himself you would think this could have been addressed at intermission and he could of played the 3rd.
Well it wouldn't be the first time.

I don't think there's a fallout or anything just yet. But it was always going to be a love/hate relationship with Laine and Torts. Let's not kid ourselves here, Laine has to do better than that. Not sure he gets benched on that in other teams, but he sure as well would hear about it.

Tortorella made a point early rather than later, and I think that's a good thing. He also knows, what a mighty weapon he has on Laine. I'm pretty sure it will smoothen out after this "dramatic" episode.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sad but true

Last playoffs was evident that Columbus cannot keep up with a speed game, they are soo slow on the breakout.

Torts defensive system is aggravating to play against, they might be the best team in the league at taking away passing lanes, that kind of stuff requires lots of buy-in and good communication and Columbus without their defense is nothing.

Reactions: Forepar

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Last playoffs was evident that Columbus cannot keep up with a speed game, they are soo slow on the breakout.

Torts defensive system is aggravating to play against, they might be the best team in the league at taking away passing lanes, that kind of stuff requires lots of buy-in and good communication and Columbus without their defense is nothing.
Some people would argue that we can’t get / keep talent because of Torts and his defensive system

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Players like Laine or PLD don’t fit in a place like Columbus.

They need a player who’s either perfectly capable of controlling a game like they had in Panarin, or they need an army of skilled grinders who are responsible in their own end and win a ton of board battles.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Players like Laine or PLD don’t fit in a place like Columbus.

They need a player who’s either perfectly capable of controlling a game like they had in Panarin, or they need an army of skilled grinders who are responsible in their own end and win a ton of board battles.
Brayden point type players

stranger

Jan 18, 2015
MN
There isn't a coach in the NHL that would result in Laine signing with Columbus. There is zero chance of him staying there regardless of Torts.

Just like he wasn't going to sign with Winnipeg, and I could list 15 other clubs there's zero chance he signs with.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Some people would argue that we can’t get / keep talent because of Torts and his defensive system

And that was a problem before Torts, only issue is that you weren't winning games or retaining talent.

It's on the GM too, you can't play faster hockey if you don't have fast, offensive minded players. Would've been huge if they could've kept Panarin, I think you would've gradually seen a shift in playstyle if he was there longterm as he's an elite play driver.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maybe Torts just wants to get fired

I am thinking this too. He is in the last year of his contract, maybe he made the calculation to lean all in on his "brand" to secure better career opportunities in media post his contract? I can see him angling for the Don Cherry/Brian Burke cantekrous old man spot on the national broadcast. And entrenching his reputation of accepting no nonsense even from star players would help him get there.

Reactions: MBH

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad