Laine already benched?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Torts is either going to be the best thing for Laine's career, or one if them will be leaving town.

I have faith Laine will embrace the challenge but it will take some time. Laine was given more of a young player's rope than people have let on.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
qFKO3oN.jpg

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
This was inevitable and probably it's best it happened this early, Torts has sent his message and now we'll see if things can work with Laine or not. It has been made clear his normal work ethic won't fly so either he makes changes, or he or Torts will be a goner.

It'll be Tortorella gone if there is problems in the either he goes or I do scenario. The Columbus GM loves Laine.

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
Regardless of whether or not he deserved the benching (idk... that clip is pretty bad), it doesn't really bode well that Laine is already showing signs that he doesn't want to be there. I mean, they just gave up a great player for you. If anything he should be extra motivated to play hard for his new team, no?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't remember him slacking like that here before. He may have missed his assignments in his last few games, but it was rarely due to being lazy, just being out of position. There's no excuse for that.

If this continues, he's gone in the offseason and/or taking a big hit on his RFA years. He's not playing better than his salary.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I saw the news on Twitter, I have no clue what's going, hence why I'm asking the question on the main boards. It seems huge to me and I see nothing on it...
Well you saw something on Twitter about it. You could at least link the tweet.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He then did it AGAIN on another shift and the Canes player hit crossbar.

He deserved the benching.
His very next shift, actually. With the same Canes player who had just scored.

I'm just hoping he chooses to learn from this. He's got the ability and opportunity to be an honest to G-d legend and I want to see it happen.

Reactions: Bobcat110

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Tortorella is a shitty coach but Laine is lucky to be an elite scorer because this play is embarrassing.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He definitely should have made an effort to win that battle, but idk if you should bench the LW for not clearing the puck that squirts from a slot scramble. I guess if Columbus plays a total collapse inside the hash marks defensive system sure, but there's a three on three down low and the puck squirts out pretty far from where Laine is.

This is his third game in a new system. That's a pretty stupid benching IMO.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Laine was a turnover machine all game trying to carry the puck in and lose it at the blue line.

The coverage on the second goal was the last straw for Torts.

While I don’t prefer such radical means of handling players, Torts had legitimate reasons to do what he did.
Well get used to Laine turning the puck over at the blueline, it's something he has done his entire career. He is a high risk high reward player who is going to have bad turnovers at times. Maurice tried to get him to change his game for 4 years, it clearly hasn't worked.

Reactions: Classic16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad