Laine already benched?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Isnt Laines guy the right Dman?

At some point it HAS to be Torts no? How many star players will he run out of town???
With the standard system, winger covers for D. So, as soon as number 4 goes up to compete for the puck, Laine should take his position as the D. Hence, it was his man who scored.
I thought he is supposed to cover the defenseman as a LW?
Usually. It's just temporary that he needs to cover for the D here.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I haven't played a competitive game since 94 but back in that time it was the wingers job to cover the dman. It was the center and the defensemen's job to cover down low and the front of the net. My point, the video showing Laine's mistake wasn't on him, although the game has changed a lot since 94, so what do I know.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In the post-game interview, Tortorella said the benching was not due to the mistakes on the 2nd CAR goal and the following shift. He said the details will remain within the locker-room.

If actually true, this is very concerning, because it implies the existence of deeper issues between Laine and Torts already this early. Not looking great at this point, that is all that can be said.
I think it's fairer to say that it wasn't exclusively because of those things.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I haven't played a competitive game since 94 but back in that time it was the wingers job to cover the dman. It was the center and the defensemen's job to cover down low and the front of the net. My point, the video showing Laine's mistake wasn't on him, although the game has changed a lot since 94, so what do I know.

That's true but the winger on the weakside like Laine, generally sags a little lower and more to the middle. Staying between his dman and the net and to help out if there's a breakdown or something in the slot, like there was. Laine wasn't even between his guy and the net. Even if he was in better position and gave a better effort, the puck might have still went in but just standing there like that not defending anything is pretty inexplicable.

I'd expect any player to be benched by any other NHL coach if an effort and positioning like that was seen on a goal against.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
That's true but the winger on the weakside like Laine, generally sags a little lower and more to the middle. Staying between his dman and the net and to help out if there's a breakdown or something in the slot, like there was. Laine wasn't even between his guy and the net. Just standing there like that not defending anything is pretty inexplicable.

I'd expect any player to be benched by any other NHL coach if an effort and positioning like that was seen on a goal against.

Torts said it wasn't a missed assignment. By what he suggested me thinks it's locker room related.

And if that's the case and Laine has already made enemies in that locker room? Yikes.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Torts already said that wasn't the play that got him benched but look where he's floating, he's not covering anyone, if that puck makes it to the point Laine is in no position to cover. If he's not on the point then he should be adding a number down low, instead he was in the middle of nowhere - it would look bad on a regular shift but highlighted because of where the play went and how they scored.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If this happens all year he's likely not going to be a Blue Jacket next season. But I'm not going to judge after one game.

But I could see Laine heading to the LA Kings for Turcotte+.

Reactions: Faterson

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Torts said it wasn't a missed assignment. By what he suggested me thinks it's locker room related.

He was dangling and turning pucks over at the offensive blue and being a liablity in his own zone. It's not rocket science or some huge secret why he was benched.

Reactions: surixon

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Not sure how deep Torts plays his guys these days but back in the NYR days depending on the situation he had all 5 guys collapsing in a lot IIRC. I wouldn't doubt if Laine had been instructed many times where to be already and isn't taking the instructions thus it's a "locker room issue" versus one specific play.

Reactions: Forepar

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Too much of a microscope on this already.
Seems like Tortz could have addressed this in a less dramatic way so early in Laine's time there.

We see dozens of break downs every night on people making mistakes, not getting the puck out, covering the wrong person, being in the wrong position, blowing a back check... a bad change whatever. Very rarely does it result in an obvious extended benching like this did.

Unless Laine told him to go F himself you would think this could have been addressed at intermission and he could of played the 3rd.

Now it's going to get some national coverage and be blown out of proportion. I doubt it's the best way to get whatever he wants out of Laine's game.

I hope it works out for the best... yikes.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Torts will go before Laine.

Listening to Jarmo’s interview after he got Laine and there is no way he trades him.
He's just pumping up the stonks value for the trade.
000786a-6_2000x2000.png

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad