Laine already benched?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Looking at the shift charts, it looks like Kukan got benched even earlier after the first Canes goal. Whatta ya know, accountability!
He did, in fact; he was making bad passes and then acting like his role in the play was done - never mind if the puck ended up on the stick of a Cane in the defensive zone.

Kukan's been having really good games otherwise, tho; will be a shame to lose him in the expansion draft. So has Laine, but I hope we can keep him. :D

Reactions: Super Hans

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wingers covering for defensemen is absolutely standard practice. I believe every single NHL team does this.
It's taught from the junior hockey up lol. I played wing on my pathetic junior career, and it was pretty basic: stick to your D-man! It's not that hard. Man to man coverage works in these instances.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know you need to hold players accountable yada yada yada but at some point the ownership needs to wonder if keeping Torts around is a roadblock to getting high skill players signed long term.

Reactions: Crosstraffic

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I just went back and rewatched those two missed assignments starting @ around 7:30 of the 2nd.

I mean, I get that you can't just let him do that every shift but I don't see why he doesn't come back and play in the third. Especially with a tie game.

I guess it depends on your teaching/coaching style. Maybe Laine will respond well to a solid benching. Some players do.

Reactions: Marshall

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just went back and rewatched those two missed assignments starting @ around 7:30 of the 2nd.

I mean, I get that you can't just let him do that every shift but I don't see why he doesn't come back and play in the third. Especially with a tie game.

I guess it depends on your teaching/coaching style. Maybe Laine will respond well to a solid benching. Some players do.
Yeah, I'm of a similar position w/r/t bringing him back in the third. I guess we'll see how well it works. Fingers crossed that Laine comes out on Thursday with his hair on fire.

Reactions: Canadienna

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
If he’s such a diva that can’t handle being legitimately benched, do we need him ?
He did threaten to kill(Possibly only punch depending on whose story you belive) his coach and flipped him off after getting benched at the Ivan Hlinka tournament which got him kicked off the team and sent home. He has grown since then so I dont think we will see anything that dramatic but he has a history of not responding well to being benched.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Laine was a turnover machine all game trying to carry the puck in and lose it at the blue line.

The coverage on the second goal was the last straw for Torts.

While I don’t prefer such radical means of handling players, Torts had legitimate reasons to do what he did.
The turnovers is par for the course for him. He hasn't learned in 5 years of doing it.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
In the post-game interview, Tortorella said the benching was not due to the mistakes on the 2nd CAR goal and the following shift. He said the details will remain within the locker-room.

If actually true, this is very concerning, because it implies the existence of deeper issues between Laine and Torts already this early. Not looking great at this point, that is all that can be said.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Good on Columbus for the trade but whew this is a disaster waiting to happen

Think Tortella will be out before Laine gets moved though, his shtick has an expiration date and that time is near

Reactions: dick341

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad