Laine already benched?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Torts is an ego maniac that likes to exert control over his star players. The benching doesn’t mean much considering Torts benches so he can sniff his own balls.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
yes I am sure that is his plan. Get a massive demotion from coaching to broadcasting, and get fired on purpose to do so. Brilliant

Maybe it's not about broadcasting. Maybe he wants to get fired and coach some other team.

I'm not sure what went down with PL Dubois, the former Blue Jackets' young star, but it sure seemed like his relationship with Torts wasn't great when he demanded his trade.

And then your GM goes out and trades the young star for another young star, and a couple games in, your coach benches him.

If that doesn't get the attention of your boss, I don't know what will.

Nov 24, 2006
Laine was a turnover machine all game trying to carry the puck in and lose it at the blue line.

That’s a Laine trademark for sure. It rarely works him going 1 on 2 or 3 but he still tries all the time. But when it does work, he will often score. Weird player in some ways.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Laine's one of my favourite players but this is pretty funny. Hope it motivates him to pull up his socks.

Reactions: Dache

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe it's not about broadcasting. Maybe he wants to get fired and coach some other team.

I'm not sure what went down with PL Dubois, the former Blue Jackets' young star, but it sure seemed like his relationship with Torts wasn't great when he demanded his trade.

And then your GM goes out and trades the young star for another young star, and a couple games in, your coach benches him.

Come on. His contract doesn't extend past this year. If he wanted to go elsewhere, he could just refuse to sign an extension. And he'd have a much better chance of getting that job elsewhere if he does that, as opposed to drawing the negative attention of not just his boss, but the entire hockey media world by making such dramatic decisions.

I think it's far less outlandish to just presume that he's attempting to do his job the best he can with the time and the tools he has.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Texier was playing the 4th line too, what's going on??

His energy sagged a bit, had a few weaker games. Tex looked better to me in this game. Torts isn't done with him. It took years with Bjorkstrand.

I'll give you a simpler theory: he's trying to get more out of Laine. I don't know why you didn't think of that.

Everyone who knows Laine and knows Torts knew that Laine wasn't going to be up to code upon arrival. There was going to be a benching or two. The only question is how Laine reacts.

Reactions: Viqsi

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

I understand that but Laine isn’t innocent here. Everyone wants to blame Torts but Laine is also a problem and has been his entire career. Blaming John Tortorella is always the easy way out.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What's he doing to cover the right point? That guy is hovering over the slot, the puck is cross ice and Laine is standing on the dot watching the puck. CBJ is basically a man down with coverage like that.

This is my thing, it doesn’t matter who he’s supposed to be covering or that it was a broken play, he is doing nothing by standing in the faceoff circle essentially motionless.

Most of the time, you don’t get caught in “no mans land” without already putting yourself there. These are perfect examples.

Anybody can go back and look at the goal that DAL scored on Laine’s 1st shift (I believe) with the CBJ. Shot from the point from the d man just after Laine lazily reached for a slow pass that rolled passed him out of the corner.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I understand that but Laine isn’t innocent here. Everyone wants to blame Torts but Laine is also a problem and has been his entire career. Blaming John Tortorella is always the easy way out.

It's not about innocence and guilt.
Why do you bench a guy with 3 goals in two games for the whole f***ing third period?
Just to show everyone you're the boss?
f*** that shit.
That might work if you're winning cups and taking teams to the finals.

We had a guy like Torts in Babcock. Needed to show everyone he was alpha.
By the end, he was practically spitting in Ken Holland's face, burying Ken Holland acquisitions in the press box.
Stuck around just long enough for desperate Holland to make Toronto up their contract offers.

He wanted out. He knew the lay of the land in Detroit and that Detroit's time was done.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
He dogged it like you see once a game from many players.

Problem is, Torts doesn't tolerate it.
Players will continue to hate playing in Columbus as long as he is coach.

Gotta love it though. Players like Pastrnak, Panarin, and Laine who choose not to play defense are not helping their teams.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Laine is a bi-polar player. He can literally win you games with his scoring prowess and he often does. He can also literally games for you with his turnovers and bad positioning.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting approach with your new elite player that is on the last year of his deal. Laine doesn't strike me as the type that is going to be kissing Torts' butt begging to be in his good graces.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Some of the takes here are bad, yikes. Some people can't handle criticism

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
I'm not making judgement calls about who is right or wrong, but let's examine Laine's NHL career thus far:

As the 2nd overall pick of Winnipeg, Patrik was rumored to have been bullied by several of his teammates. He struggled to fit in since day 1. The situation became untenable and a trade had to be made.

He finally gets a fresh start but unfortunately Torts is the coach of his new team. I like Torts but he's not for everybody. He's the type of coach you absolutely don't want if you're a finesse European player (what other people say, not me).

Only a few games in, Torts benches him for the entire third period. Many players can take this in stride but will Laine? He plays a certain style that Torts will be trying to change. I can see Laine wanting out of that situation if he doesn't already.

That would mean a third NHL team for the coveted 2nd overall pick..

And the worst part of all this for Laine may be that he's an RFA after this season.

Do you think Laine will work out in Columbus? Will he be traded? I think it's only a matter of time before he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad