News Article: Lafleur says Vanek, Patches should GTFO

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Lafleur tells it how he sees it. He's not a PR guy and he's not coached by Saillant, he doesn't care how it will be perceived. I guarantee you many of us will want Patch out of town if he doesn't bring it in the playoffs the next go around.

pine*

He's entitled to his opinion.
He's supposed to be an ambassador for the team.
He's a classless idiot.

All true facts.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was probably just fired up and said some stupid ****. Who here hasn't said stupid **** when pissed off at the habs?
Not an excuse.

The people here aren't celebrities (at least they aren't public about being one anyway) and Lafleur should know better. One thing to spout off some stupid **** at a bar and have some guy catch your words with his cel phone... totally different story to say this **** to a reporter. He's a celebrity (a huge one in Quebec) and he has to be smarter than this.
Strangely for me, it means the same thing. As you don't need guys that doesn't bring it, looks lazy and don't want to be a key factor and yet....you need those guys as they have the talent enough to be a gamebreaking player. So you need their talent. But you don't need their lack of implication. For me, they go perfectly together. But Lafleur can't put it too eloquently.
Like I said, if he says they "need to be better" or something like that, it would've caused a stir but what he said was absolutely dumb.

We have to get rid of Vanek AND Max? :laugh: I actually laughed when I read it.
Well that's my main problem. The perimeter play HAS to change and yet...nobody talks about his comments and how HE thinks that his game is perfectly fine and that it should be the way to play? How the perimeter game suits his game so much? Nobody is concerned about that?
I think he was great this year. I don't think he was great in the playoffs. I think over the summer he'll realize this.

And for what it's worth, I think Max should stay out of the microphone's way as well. He's said some dumb things in the past too. He needs to learn how to give very boring answers.
I don't know how you can read the OP and come away with this tbh. He said you don't need players who don't show up. He didn't say OMG Pacioretty must go. He was implying that his play was a major disappointment. I can't help but agree with him.
He said you can't keep these kinds of guys on your team and you can't win with them... Pretty hard to see how he wasn't saying we should get rid of them.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Not an excuse.

The people here aren't celebrities (at least they aren't public about being one anyway) and Lafleur should know better. One thing to spout off some stupid **** at a bar and have some guy catch your words with his cel phone... totally different story to say this **** to a reporter. He's a celebrity (a huge one in Quebec) and he has to be smarter than this.

Like I said, if he says they "need to be better" or something like that, it would've caused a stir but what he said was absolutely dumb.

We have to get rid of Vanek AND Max? :laugh: I actually laughed when I read it.

I think he was great this year. I don't think he was great in the playoffs. I think over the summer he'll realize this.

And for what it's worth, I think Max should stay out of the microphone's way as well. He's said some dumb things in the past too. He needs to learn how to give very boring answers.

He said you can't keep these kinds of guys on your team and you can't win with them... Pretty hard to see how he wasn't saying we should get rid of them.

That's what he said if you ignore half of what he said.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Des gars comme (Thomas) Vanek et (Max) Pacioretty, tu ne peux pas garder ça dans ton équipe.

Translated: "guys like Vanek and maxpac, you can't keep that on your team"

That's pretty cut and dry. Yes, he goes on to qualify that you can't keep players who aren't giving it their all. He didn't only say that their play was intolerable, though, but that they, themselves, were intolerable. Big difference. This isn't semantics, this is word for word what he said.

It was dumb. Yes he was a great scorer for us, but that doesn't make him a saint, untouchable, intelligent or a good person. He may very well be all of those things, but not because he was a good hockey player.

I think people are intentionally hearing what they want. He said you can't keep players if they're not willing to pay the price.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think people are intentionally hearing what they want. He said you can't keep players if they're not willing to pay the price.

Bingo

There's a good story from the early 80's after the Isles beat the Oil for their last Cup win where Edmonton caught a glimpse of the wounded in the New York dressing room and realized the price they needed to pay to win

Lafleur has paid that price and he's calling out those that have the ability to change the game to do the same - if Guy laid the coils Pacs & Vanek did we wouldn't have won half the Cups we did in the 70's

Pacioretty needs to stop using I'm a streaky player excuse and bring it more consistent and carry it over to the post season

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bingo

There's a good story from the early 80's after the Isles beat the Oil for their last Cup win where Edmonton caught a glimpse of the wounded in the New York dressing room and realized the price they needed to pay to win

Lafleur has paid that price and he's calling out those that have the ability to change the game to do the same - if Guy laid the coils Pacs & Vanek did we wouldn't have won half the Cups we did in the 70's

Pacioretty needs to stop using I'm a streaky player excuse and bring it more consistent and carry it over to the post season

Not sure if you are serious. Habs won the cup without losing more than a couple playoff games every year. Those teams were so stacked Lafleur could have played without skates or a stick and still won the cup. There was only one 7 game series in 4 years and that was back in the day where the Habs got a pre-lim bye every year so the "price paid" was even lower. I sincerely doubt the greatest hockey dynasty of all time would have even a single cup less if Lafleur floated for a few games.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not sure if you are serious. Habs won the cup without losing more than a couple playoff games every year. Those teams were so stacked Lafleur could have played without skates or a stick and still won the cup. There was only one 7 game series in 4 years and that was back in the day where the Habs got a pre-lim bye every year so the "price paid" was even lower. I sincerely doubt the greatest hockey dynasty of all time would have even a single cup less if Lafleur floated for a few games.

100% serious - well as much as anyone is serious on HB

Montreal had great teams but you take away over half of Lafleur's points on that run, and if you throw in Shutt's if we are comparing to 2 players from today that makes a huge difference so yes I believe they have less Cups if their 2 top scorers in the 70's took a pass on the playoffs

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

So you're actually more worried about how he does interviews than him being satisfied to be a perimeter player? Why would he realized he wasn't all good when he actually thinks it's the way to play the game? He will tell you that he scored most of his 39 goals with a perimeter play. So why would he change? Again, personnally, the perimeter play comment he made comes after being hit by Chara and after hitting a couple of guys with questionable hits. I will stand with what I say and belive that he has the Latendressitis.....and that can't be good. I hope he plays through it. If not, we will have to give Mr. Pacioretty the best 2 linemates in the team to hope that he gets the easy goals while the other would have worked it out. At one point, this team needs LEADERS, guys that will take charge. Price takes charge of his net. Subban will take charge of the D's. Who takes charge of the offense on that team up front? Everybody looks at each other. Is Galchenyuk the type of persona to be that leader? 'Cause if Pacioretty can't be, we have NOBODY ELSE. Gallagher has the work ethic and dedication but doesn't have the talent.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
So you're actually more worried about how he does interviews than him being satisfied to be a perimeter player? Why would he realized he wasn't all good when he actually thinks it's the way to play the game? He will tell you that he scored most of his 39 goals with a perimeter play. So why would he change? Again, personnally, the perimeter play comment he made comes after being hit by Chara and after hitting a couple of guys with questionable hits. I will stand with what I say and belive that he has the Latendressitis.....and that can't be good. I hope he plays through it. If not, we will have to give Mr. Pacioretty the best 2 linemates in the team to hope that he gets the easy goals while the other would have worked it out. At one point, this team needs LEADERS, guys that will take charge. Price takes charge of his net. Subban will take charge of the D's. Who takes charge of the offense on that team up front? Everybody looks at each other. Is Galchenyuk the type of persona to be that leader? 'Cause if Pacioretty can't be, we have NOBODY ELSE. Gallagher has the work ethic and dedication but doesn't have the talent.

Late in the season Pacioretty was asked about his breakaway chances and how come he was getting chances now and he wasn't getting any earlier in his career. He answered he had no idea he could get breakaways. Patches said something about Briere (I think that was who he said) showing him how to get open for breakaways and he thought this was great. Similar thing with his liking for DD is because I think DD took the time to show him how to play the game when others wouldn't.

I think Patches is a blank canvas as far as being a hockey player goes and if he's getting ideas in his head it's because someone is putting them there and in this case my guess (and only a guess) would be this idea would be Vanek's.

Halifaxhab*

Lafleur should start working as a coach or GM. He is entitled to opinions, but if Savard cameout and said this, then I would be listening. But this is the opinion of an ex player, a great one, but one that doesn't seem to grasp reality. He even said Briere should retire, then come back with someone else like he did.....WTF is that? Sounds like a man who still holds a grudge from how things ended in 84

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So you're actually more worried about how he does interviews than him being satisfied to be a perimeter player?
Um... no.
Why would he realized he wasn't all good when he actually thinks it's the way to play the game? He will tell you that he scored most of his 39 goals with a perimeter play. So why would he change? Again, personnally, the perimeter play comment he made comes after being hit by Chara and after hitting a couple of guys with questionable hits. I will stand with what I say and belive that he has the Latendressitis.....and that can't be good. I hope he plays through it. If not, we will have to give Mr. Pacioretty the best 2 linemates in the team to hope that he gets the easy goals while the other would have worked it out. At one point, this team needs LEADERS, guys that will take charge. Price takes charge of his net. Subban will take charge of the D's. Who takes charge of the offense on that team up front? Everybody looks at each other. Is Galchenyuk the type of persona to be that leader? 'Cause if Pacioretty can't be, we have NOBODY ELSE. Gallagher has the work ethic and dedication but doesn't have the talent.
Like I said, I think it's an open wound for him right now. He played poorly and he's being defensive in what he said. I think over the summer he'll gain some perspective and realize that he didn't play as well as he thinks he did. Then again, maybe he won't...

Either way though, he has to be better next time around.

Halifaxhab*

Um... no.

Like I said, I think it's an open wound for him right now. He played poorly and he's being defensive in what he said. I think over the summer he'll gain some perspective and realize that he didn't play as well as he thinks he did. Then again, maybe he won't...

Either way though, he has to be better next time around.

Well the playoffs are a different hockey. It took him a couple seasons to get himself together. The same for playoffs. He went from 0 to. 6ppg with 2 series clinching goals. He has room to improve, but he wasn't garbage either.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think he's backtracking, more clarifying. There's no reason for Guy to backtrack.
"You can't win with these guys... you can't keep them on your team"

vs

"You need these kinds of players to win"

I know that's not all he said... but yeah, he was backtracking pretty quickly. Anyways, you can spin this however you wish, his words are there in black and white.

Again, he should've been smarter with what he said the first time around.

Halifaxhab*

"You can't win with these guys... you can't keep them on your team"

vs

"You need these kinds of players to win"

I know that's not all he said... but yeah, he was backtracking pretty quickly. Anyways, you can spin this however you wish, his words are there in black and white.

Again, he should've been smarter with what he said the first time around.

If he would have said that these guys had dissapointing playoffs based on what they gave in the regular season, anddidn't meet those expectations. He'd be right, but he absolutely attacked them and is now backpeddling fasted than Lance Armstrong

Halifaxhab*

who cares?

We should care so we can have a bit of perspective. A 1st overall pick considered (rightfully) to be agenerational talent, struggled in his 1st 3 playoffs. Pacioretty has only had 2, and he is no Lafleur, just a good goal scorer. Maybe Guy is setting the bar to his prime days?

Guy is now also backtracking, but not before giving us alittle more golden advice. Briere should retire then come back somewhere else like he did?

He is just coming across as not only critical of the players and team, but bitter. He's a legend so his opinion is news. But that doesn't make it right.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
We should care so we can have a bit of perspective. A 1st overall pick considered (rightfully) to be agenerational talent, struggled in his 1st 3 playoffs. Pacioretty has only had 2, and he is no Lafleur, just a good goal scorer. Maybe Guy is setting the bar to his prime days?

Guy is now also backtracking, but not before giving us alittle more golden advice. Briere should retire then come back somewhere else like he did?

He is just coming across as not only critical of the players and team, but bitter. He's a legend so his opinion is news. But that doesn't make it right.

Pacioretty's performance was bad, there's no disputing it. This whole thing falls under the " who cares " category, it's one guy giving his opinion. We all criticize players on performances and our playoff success is a little worse than Guy's first 3 years I'd think. You don't need to score a bunch of goals to see that pacioretty was dogging it.

Halifaxhab*

Pacioretty's performance was bad, there's no disputing it. This whole thing falls under the " who cares " category, it's one guy giving his opinion. We all criticize players on performances and our playoff success is a little worse than Guy's first 3 years I'd think. You don't need to score a bunch of goals to see that pacioretty was dogging it.

Never argued that Pacioretty could have given us more, but he showed flashes in those 17 games, andwasn't the only one who could have gave more in the last 6 games....but nothing was said about that. And Lafleur is a Habs legend, who still works for the team as an ambassador. This is him throwing a guy under the bus, nothing less.

pine*

Lafleur can go **** himself. What a disgrace to the CH.

I'd fire his ass as an ambassador. Like GTFO

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
An article in La Presse reports that Lafleur suggests that Briere should retire, then come back at a later date (as he did). How old is Briere now, 36, 37? This stamps Lafleur as nothing more than a crackpot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad