News Article: Lafleur says Vanek, Patches should GTFO

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Lafleur is right, as usual, but his delivery is off target. But they need to make Pacioretty captain or something. Imagine Patches and Kreider on the same line? Oh, but we drafted Leblanc..

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I see the PC Police have done their job and beaten Lafleur back into submission.

What's funny is that anybody here saying the same thing as Lafleur and they'd get torn to pieces just the same. Probably much worse.

Some of you need to take the posters you've had on your walls since you were 12 down and accept that a stupid opinion is still a stupid opinion when it's said by your childhood idol.

Guy knew what he was doing. He exaggerated his opinion to cause a buzz like he did when he claimed the habs had four 4th lines and he got the reaction he was after.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
What's funny is that anybody here saying the same thing as Lafleur and they'd get torn to pieces just the same. Probably much worse.

Some of you need to take the posters you've had on your walls since you were 12 down and accept that a stupid opinion is still a stupid opinion when it's said by your childhood idol.

Guy knew what he was doing. He exaggerated his opinion to cause a buzz like he did when he claimed the habs had four 4th lines and he got the reaction he was after.

Did the GM at the time immediately make a radical personnel change because Lafleur made his imperial pronouncement?:sarcasm: I'm glad that Serge Savard, not Guy Lafleur, is the outsider who has the most influence on Geoff Molson.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

That's the entire point. Lafleur knows what he's talking about, online keyboard warriors not so much.

Lafleur put the round 3 floaters in the spotlight, a lot of people blamed the messenger and refused the message. Some of those same people were making non existent injury excuses to pre-empt the criticism. Now that criticism is in the public domain by a high profile and credible messenger it's a character assassination. Semantics, micro analysis of syntax and sentence structure has superceded any attempt to understand the thoughts behind the message. Typical HFboards crap.

But because this is HFboards, where bubbles are created , when critical ideas come in from an outsider it becomes a bees nest of activity to destroy the intruder.

Whether it be a poster from another board, a journalist, a HNIC crew member, or even the legendary Guy Lafleur, people have bubble wrapped themselves online to the point where they can't handle truth.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
So apparently you CAN win with floaters and players who take entire games off in the playoffs. Guy should apologize. :help:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
That's the entire point. Lafleur knows what he's talking about, online keyboard warriors not so much.

Lafleur put the round 3 floaters in the spotlight, a lot of people blamed the messenger and refused the message. Some of those same people were making non existent injury excuses to pre-empt the criticism. Now that criticism is in the public domain by a high profile and credible messenger it's a character assassination. Semantics, micro analysis of syntax and sentence structure has superceded any attempt to understand the thoughts behind the message. Typical HFboards crap.

But because this is HFboards, where bubbles are created , when critical ideas come in from an outsider it becomes a bees nest of activity to destroy the intruder.

Whether it be a poster from another board, a journalist, a HNIC crew member, or even the legendary Guy Lafleur, people have bubble wrapped themselves online to the point where they can't handle truth.

Anyone can make loud noises. The highest db level usually is associated with the most distortion.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

What are you babbling about?? People have been discussing the lack of production from DD's line and Vanek all POs. Were you not following this board during our run??

Lafleur didn't discuss anything. All he did was label two players and bash them.
''They suck, they floated around, disappeared when it matters'', ya, that's senseless bashing that you hear from basic fans. It's crap I expect to hear from my football fans that become habs fan only during the POs.

We can't handle the truth??? What freaking truth?? MaxPac had his share of struggles. Who here has denied this?? Seems to me like you're the one in denial.
Heck, you have people suggesting to trade MaxPac for E.Kane, a kid that posted pictures of him with loads of cash on twitter, a player that has been criticized for his attitude in Winnipeg regularly, a player that broke the 20g mark once, a player that 0 PO experience, a player that is more expensive.
Or, we have others suggesting we trade MaxPac for a freaking pick.

Discuss ''why'' MaxPac struggled, you'll see people play along a lot more then when it's some senseless bashing. Pretty ironic considering Lafleur struggled and only scored 4 goals in his first 29 PO games.

MaxPac struggled, no doubt. What Lafleur said was stupid.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
What are you babbling about?? People have been discussing the lack of production from DD's line and Vanek all POs. Were you not following this board during our run??

Lafleur didn't discuss anything. All he did was label two players and bash them.
''They suck, they floated around, disappeared when it matters'', ya, that's senseless bashing that you hear from basic fans. It's crap I expect to hear from my football fans that become habs fan only during the POs.

We can't handle the truth??? What freaking truth?? MaxPac had his share of struggles. Who here has denied this?? Seems to me like you're the one in denial.
Heck, you have people suggesting to trade MaxPac for E.Kane, a kid that posted pictures of him with loads of cash on twitter, a player that has been criticized for his attitude in Winnipeg regularly, a player that broke the 20g mark once, a player that 0 PO experience, a player that is more expensive.
Or, we have others suggesting we trade MaxPac for a freaking pick.

Discuss ''why'' MaxPac struggled, you'll see people play along a lot more then when it's some senseless bashing. Pretty ironic considering Lafleur struggled and only scored 4 goals in his first 29 PO games.

MaxPac struggled, no doubt. What Lafleur said was stupid.

You are wrong. People discuss things in this board then freak out when an outsider say the same things.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So apparently you CAN win with floaters and players who take entire games off in the playoffs. Guy should apologize. :help:

Aren't the NYR in the POs with Nash not scoring until the 3rd round?
Didn't LA win with Penner? A notoriously inconsistent player?
Isn't LA now just 2 wins away from winning it again with Richards having some pretty mediocre POs, being a shadow of his former self?
Didn't Boston win with Ryder?

Of course you can win with Floaters. Since when has it been impossible??
You think every player will play full out every second of every shift of every game?? That's impossible.

That's why you need depth. And when your two best scorers are used to easy match ups, well then you can certainly expect them to have a harder time producing in the POs. But hey, why discuss this when you can simply bash players?? What's the fun in trying to look at what could be done when you can simply say ''Bahh..they suck...they float...let's trade''...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Compelling argument...
What did Lafleur discuss?

I am not taking you seriously. Every post every thread all you want to do is feel like you win the argument. You rarely do because all you want to do is argue.

This topic is pretty simple. Lafleur expressed a view, some people agree some disagree but it doesn't matter Lafleur's experience and credibility make him worth listening to. People here who attack the messenger are just petty and but for a few exceptions aren't taken seriously here.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I am not taking you seriously. Every post every thread all you want to do is feel like you win the argument. You rarely do because all you want to do is argue.

This topic is pretty simple. Lafleur expressed a view, some people agree some disagree but it doesn't matter Lafleur's experience and credibility make him worth listening to. People here who attack the messenger are just petty and but for a few exceptions aren't taken seriously here.

What are you talking about? I asked you a simple question, what did Lafleur discuss. You said he discussed the same things people here did. So what was it? And you have the direct quotes posted just a little higher in this very page.

I had no issues discussing things with others here about MaxPac. Of course I'm talking about people that were constructive, not the ones doing useless bashing.

So if Lafleur did this discussing, where is it.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Aren't the NYR in the POs with Nash not scoring until the 3rd round?
Didn't LA win with Penner? A notoriously inconsistent player?
Isn't LA now just 2 wins away from winning it again with Richards having some pretty mediocre POs, being a shadow of his former self?
Didn't Boston win with Ryder?

Of course you can win with Floaters. Since when has it been impossible??
You think every player will play full out every second of every shift of every game?? That's impossible.

That's why you need depth. And when your two best scorers are used to easy match ups, well then you can certainly expect them to have a harder time producing in the POs. But hey, why discuss this when you can simply bash players?? What's the fun in trying to look at what could be done when you can simply say ''Bahh..they suck...they float...let's trade''...

The Rangers will get bounced in 4 or 5 games. It's about winning the Cup not coming in 2nd.

In addition, having your 2 best players floating around the ice and not putting on the line, you're not getting far. Luckily the Rangers had some luck this year and made it this far. But they'll be buying out Nash real soon if he keeps stinking it up.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Rangers will get bounced in 4 or 5 games. It's about winning the Cup not coming in 2nd.

In addition, having your 2 best players floating around the ice and not putting on the line, you're not getting far. Luckily the Rangers had some luck this year and made it this far. But they'll be buying out Nash real soon if he keeps stinking it up.

The Rangers are giving the Kings quite a tussle. If not for some late stage heroics the Rangers could have been leading 2-0. As I recall, the Kings murdered the Habs in their encounters during the regular season. Obviously the Rangers have something the Habs don't. A better coach, perhaps?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The Rangers are giving the Kings quite a tussle. If not for some late stage heroics the Rangers could have been leading 2-0. As I recall, the Kings murdered the Habs in their encounters during the regular season. Obviously the Rangers have something the Habs don't. A better coach, perhaps?

That, and much more speed, especially on the wings. LA is slow and speedy teams cause trouble for them.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

And yet, the Rangers are playing about as good as they can and the Kings have not put a full game together yet. Are you pleased with Nash's play? 3 goals in 22 games. :help:

I will agree though. Vigneault is a superior coach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Off topic but... yeah, we could use a better coach. Definitely agree on that one.

We brought back the wrong guy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And yet, the Rangers are playing about as good as they can and the Kings have not put a full game together yet. Are you pleased with Nash's play? 3 goals in 22 games. :help:

I will agree though. Vigneault is a superior coach.

I don't think LA is showing up and purposely deciding not to put a full game together.
They are the superior team, don't get me wrong, but credit the NYR for making it difficult on LA. Two OT wins so far, the Kings have been getting the bounces. It could easily have been 2-0 NYR, regardless of how LA has looked they're lucky to be up in this series.

Nash has been playing badly.

Well I think any team that makes the Finals has a chance to win, so I put them both in the same category, but that's why I also mentioned Richards. He has been floating around for LA during these POs. He is a shadow of his former self.
So, whichever team wins, they will have floaters. It's the same pretty much every year btw.

The problem is you can't have your top wingers float. At least not on our team, we'd need much better depth for that. That's why discussing the ''why'' is a lot more important than just useless bashing. So is it really that Max is a floater that shies away from important games? Well, he did score big goals during elimination games both in TB and Bos. So I'm inclined to think he isn't this ''lazy'' or ''shy'' player Lafleur is painting him as.
He's a player that has been used in a sheltered role all year. His line is made up of one guy that will crash the net senselessly, another one that likes to carry it and dish it out to Max. So it's pretty simple. Give all the attention to Max, defend him, and you'll make this line a lot less effective.
So, what did we do to get MaxPac away from those tougher match ups? Did we double shift him? Did we try to make a different line? We didn't even try to reunite Max-DD-Van. We didn't even mix up our PP lines despite it being incredibly bad.
Isn't this more important to discuss than just dismiss and label this 25yo because he didn't keep up a 40G pace in his first real PO run???

NYR and LA have floaters, but they also have depth. Can you tell me why Eller, our best producer in the POs up front, was our 6th more used forward?? 9th for PP, meaning not even 30sec of PP per game? Why didn't we move Max to his wing, with Bourque on the other side?? Having two other big guys on his line that didn't shy away from corners, actually Eller does quite well there, could have made it a much more difficult line to contain and give us a stronger top line.

MaxPac didn't perform to his best, no doubt, but I don't think it's because he's a lazy floater. He got physically challenged by Hedman, then Chara, and then Girardi. We did very little to get him away from those tough match ups. But I could see it happen before it even started, particularly why I never liked Max playing on an exploitation line with DD. He needs to get used to those tougher match ups, otherwise he'll always get shutdown.

Coming out and just bashing a player seems pretty childish and pointless.

Last edited:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I don't think LA is showing up and purposely deciding not to put a full game together.
They are the superior team, don't get me wrong, but credit the NYR for making it difficult on LA. Two OT wins so far, the Kings have been getting the bounces. It could easily have been 2-0 NYR, regardless of how LA has looked they're lucky to be up in this series.

Nash has been playing badly.

Well I think any team that makes the Finals has a chance to win, so I put them both in the same category, but that's why I also mentioned Richards. He has been floating around for LA during these POs. He is a shadow of his former self.
So, whichever team wins, they will have floaters. It's the same pretty much every year btw.

The problem is you can't have your top wingers float. At least not on our team, we'd need much better depth for that. That's why discussing the ''why'' is a lot more important than just useless bashing. So is it really that Max is a floater that shies away from important games? Well, he did score big goals during elimination games both in TB and Bos. So I'm inclined to think he isn't this ''lazy'' or ''shy'' player Lafleur is painting him as.
He's a player that has been used in a sheltered role all year. His line is made up of one guy that will crash the net senselessly, another one that likes to carry it and dish it out to Max. So it's pretty simple. Give all the attention to Max, defend him, and you'll make this line a lot less effective.
So, what did we do to get MaxPac away from those tougher match ups? Did we double shift him? Did we try to make a different line? We didn't even try to reunite Max-DD-Van. We didn't even mix up our PP lines despite it being incredibly bad.
Isn't this more important to discuss than just dismiss and label this 25yo because he didn't keep up a 40G pace in his first real PO run???

NYR and LA have floaters, but they also have depth. Can you tell me why Eller, our best producer in the POs up front, was our 6th more used forward?? 9th for PP, meaning not even 30sec of PP per game? Why didn't we move Max to his wing, with Bourque on the other side?? Having two other big guys on his line that didn't shy away from corners, actually Eller does quite well there, could have made it a much more difficult line to contain and give us a stronger top line.

MaxPac didn't perform to his best, no doubt, but I don't think it's because he's a lazy floater. He got physically challenged by Hedman, then Chara, and then Girardi. We did very little to get him away from those tough match ups. But I could see it happen before it even started, particularly why I never liked Max playing on an exploitation line with DD. He needs to get used to those tougher match ups, otherwise he'll always get shutdown.

Coming out and just bashing a player seems pretty childish and pointless.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Max and Vanek played poorly. They're not depth guys. They are pretty much the team's offense and were given opportunities to produce (moreso Max). Did not like what I saw from both players. I like that Guy didn't mince his words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad