La Liga 2019/2020 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Has been going around for some years now that he chooses starting 11 and stuff like that. I call bullshit on that but obviously his opinion on some matters will hold some weight.

@les Habs I think is time to move on from Busquets. Sergi Roberto could go for all I care

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Can someone lead me to sources when Messi has been unprofessional? This is all new news to me.

people are trying hardest to drag him down for stuff he has no control over.

For what I'm referring to, just look up the video from the cooling break during the Celta match. Messi ignored Sarabia twice.

As for the rest of it, it seems he liked Valverde. The whole choosing teammates thing though and the Griezmann thing, nothing credible to suggest that if you watch the team regularly and follow the team regularly.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

That's not what he meant. If you look into all of Setien's post match comments it's clear.

Has been going around for some years now that he chooses starting 11 and stuff like that. I call bullshit on that but obviously his opinion on some matters will hold some weight.

@les Habs I think is time to move on from Busquets. Sergi Roberto could go for all I care

It all depends on the role Busquets is willing to take on. Would he be willing to be rotated more? His wages would be a concern, but he brings leadership and he works fine with a more balanced midfield around him. Concern I'd have him is him being name captain ahead of Pique.

Sergi should definitely stay. Good player and a club guy. He doesn't have to start every match, but he'd be good to have in the side still.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
For what I'm referring to, just look up the video from the cooling break during the Celta match. Messi ignored Sarabia twice.

As for the rest of it, it seems he liked Valverde. The whole choosing teammates thing though and the Griezmann thing, nothing credible to suggest that if you watch the team regularly and follow the team regularly.
Meh. I think people are reading too much into the video. It’s not that uncommon. He could’ve still been listening to him.

I can’t stand Barca but the lengths people are going to discredit Messi is appalling.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Meh. I think people are reading too much into the video. It’s not that uncommon. He could’ve still been listening to him.

I can’t stand Barca but the lengths people are going to discredit Messi is appalling.

I commented on this yesterday. Yes it's common, but not like that.

Admitting something is the first step to recovery. As for Messi, generally yes as I just told you. However in the instance with Sarabia he was in the wrong.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
pnWWudL.jpg

Not mine, but if they're going to call these things...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I commented on this yesterday. Yes it's common, but not like that.

Admitting something is the first step to recovery. As for Messi, generally yes as I just told you. However in the instance with Sarabia he was in the wrong.
Sorry man I’ve seen the replay of the incident multiple times now and I still feel people are making a mountain out of a molehill. He could’ve been asking something like are you feeling ready to close this game out or remember the tactics?, something that didn’t warrant a full out conversation. Or he’s just super focused to get on with the game.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sorry man I’ve seen the replay of the incident multiple times now and I still feel people are making a mountain out of a molehill. He could’ve been asking something like are you feeling ready to close this game out or remember the tactics?, something that didn’t warrant a full out conversation. Or he’s just super focused to get on with the game.

Couldn't disagree more. He's clearly ignoring him. Not warranting a full conversation is one thing, but not acknowledging someone is entirely another.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
On the bright side Puig's numbers look good. I think all of this is going to lead to him signing a new contract.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can someone lead me to sources when Messi has been unprofessional? This is all new news to me.

people are trying hardest to drag him down for stuff he has no control over.
It’s completely overblown. This usually happens to him in the NT, when they;re in shambles. However now that’s its Barca are garbage the same or similar stories are coming out. He hates a new player weekly according to some. Ivan was named a month ish ago. When Messi “ignored” him but hugged his other teams mates before the game. People see a 5 second video out of context and draw their own conclusions. Going back to the NT for a second prior to the Russia World Cup Pavon was linked to Barca because Messi was in love with his talent. Pavon is not playing in the MLS. He was also picking the team and deciding tactics yet his best friend was stapled to the bench in a knockout stage game. He makes transfers yet Greizz another player he hates was bought. This isn’t new mind you, he also hated Tello and Sanchez this is just on top of my head. Now he doesn’t respect the coach or his assistant yet

So did he all of a sudden have an epiphany and now respects the assistant? We have no clue as to what happens in the dressing room, who knows if they like one another to draw conclusions over a few second video is utter nonsense. Either way these guys are in way over their head coaching for Barca. Just as I suspected. I think he a good dude like Valverde but we need good coaches not nice guys.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
On the bright side Puig's numbers look good. I think all of this is going to lead to him signing a new contract.
He should be an out an out starter. I actually didn’t want him to start today because of how Atleti play. Thought they would rough him up and he wouldn’t be used to grown man hacking at him. Costa that poor excuse of a striker chopped him down Puig passed with flying colors. Wonderful wonderful wonderful player. It’s a good feeling when you see a kid who has tremendous potential finally gets to show it. Says a lot about Setein and Valverde of how conservative they are.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It’s completely overblown. This usually happens to him in the NT, when they;re in shambles. However now that’s its Barca are garbage the same or similar stories are coming out. He hates a new player weekly according to some. Ivan was named a month ish ago. When Messi “ignored” him but hugged his other teams mates before the game. People see a 5 second video out of context and draw their own conclusions. Going back to the NT for a second prior to the Russia World Cup Pavon was linked to Barca because Messi was in love with his talent. Pavon is not playing in the MLS. He was also picking the team and deciding tactics yet his best friend was stapled to the bench in a knockout stage game. He makes transfers yet Greizz another player he hates was bought. This isn’t new mind you, he also hated Tello and Sanchez this is just on top of my head. Now he doesn’t respect the coach or his assistant yet

So did he all of a sudden have an epiphany and now respects the assistant? We have no clue as to what happens in the dressing room, who knows if they like one another to draw conclusions over a few second video is utter nonsense. Either way these guys are in way over their head coaching for Barca. Just as I suspected. I think he a good dude like Valverde but we need good coaches not nice guys.

With regards to the first paragraph, I agree with everything you wrote. I said as much earlier today and it amazes me what comes out about transfers and such. However regarding Sarabia situation the footage from the Celta match is very clear:

Not the best clip and it's long, but if you go to about halfway through and watch you'll see that Messi very clearly ignores Sarabia, twice. In the one instance that is more clear he literally turns his back to him and walks away. I'm sorry, but the circumstances where I would find that acceptable are so highly unlikely that they surely didn't happen. If there's a scenario to justify Messi here that likely happened I'd love to know what it is.

Now if things are water under the bridge so be it. I'm fine with that. However I do not want to see players who play for my club doing what Messi and Rakitic did and saying what Suarez said. It shouldn't be tolerated by any supporter regardless of what any of those players have done and regardless of how bad our management team may be. I'm fine if they apologize and work things out, but then I never want to see it again.

The reason why there's a narrative is because in this instance it makes sense. The players had an issue when Lucho was manager. Then they didn't when Valverde was manager. Now that Setien and Sarabia are in charge they've got issues again. It doesn't strike me as coincidence that Lucho and Sarabia are more outspoken and more disciplinarian than Valverde and all of sudden some players have issues.

As for Setien and Sarabia, I think they inherited a really difficult situation. Mid-season start so no preseason, Suarez and Dembele out, one of your four CBs who you really could have used loaned out, squad out of shape and some of the players seemingly impervious to certain types of feedback. When the players actually show some intensity you can actually see the difference in the level of play from when Valverde was in charge. However for some reason it drops off and I'm talking relatively early in a match and it's back to the old ways under Valverde. That said I think they seem to be managing with fear. Fear of failure and a fear to upset the apple cart.

He should be an out an out starter. I actually didn’t want him to start today because of how Atleti play. Thought they would rough him up and he wouldn’t be used to grown man hacking at him. Costa that poor excuse of a striker chopped him down Puig passed with flying colors. Wonderful wonderful wonderful player. It’s a good feeling when you see a kid who has tremendous potential finally gets to show it. Says a lot about Setein and Valverde of how conservative they are.

I agree, he definitely needs to be a starter. He should be the #1 midfielder on the team sheet right now. For me it's a fantastic feeling to see this kid do what he's doing after seeing his potential a couple of years ago. So happy to see him experience his dream and to see a youth team player be a part of the first team.

Like I posted earlier today, the kid is tough. He showed it against AC Milan and Arsenal two Summers ago in preseason. One player for one of those teams was even targeting him and he stood up to it all. He's also been hacked a lot this season while playing with the B team. I think I posted a video or two earlier in the season.

I think you have to be fair to Setien. You might argue he should have played him sooner, but he's seen what Puig can do and has stuck with him. I don't know that Valverde would have given him the same chance much less stuck with him as much as Setien has. Whatever Setien's legacy and Puig's legacy the player will very likely always remember him as the manager who gave him his chance.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@Cassano Since when am I in the Messi detractor column? I've only raved about him to years. But the signs are clear here. I dislike Griez too (not the player though) as I've said for years. But Messi's behaviour ON THE PITCH towards him is disgusting.
Setien's comments yeterday are also beyond telling.
There's no "look the other way here". The signs are here : the player have become greater than the club.

Reactions: Cassano

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I wonder if Setien will be sacked sooner or later (after the season is later). Anyways hopefully Real can capitalize against Getafe tomorrow. Bilbao afterwards is always a tough match.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
4th loss in 5 games for Valencia since the restart
Deserved because of the way they treated Marcelino before he finally took the exit. The Peter Lim ownership is a disaster as they think that they know more about football than the coach. I hope they keep dropping and that no serious coach takes the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad