La Liga 2019/2020 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Barcelona's game against Villarreal is after Real Madrid's game away to Athletic Club on Sunday, and that game for Madrid is on a very quick turnaround, with travel and a rest disadvantage, against a team that hates their guts.

If Barcelona beat Atleti, they might be playing for first place come 22:00 CET (4:00pm ET) on Sunday. And with their final four games on the schedule, if they are ahead after MD34, they're going to win the league.

I understand Barça fans having tempered expectations here and it's not something I'm digging any of you for. But the path that leads to another Barcelona triumph is still there and not an unreasonable one to get to.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Fair enough.

We did beat Barca and drew. So I would be happy. But I feel like both clubs played under their potential.
I mean Real did underperform to a certain extent especially early on but once Madrid hit their stride they've been pretty good outside of that bad stretch we got bailed out of by the closures. I'd say if we win the title it was pretty deserved.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
There's actually nothing wrong with thinking about winning as many trophies as you can while Messi is still around. I don't think that's their motive though. Their motive was to balance the books by leveraging the respective fiscal years and make the team as competitive as possible without spending money so they can win something and keep this board in power come next year's election.

Well you didn't like a couple of months back.

Yeah I read some articles and watched some videos discussing the motives today and I agree with your point of view now. Incompetent management, not sure how I believe Barca need the money that bad.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Question: Reports seem to suggest Setien is under heat by the players. Or certain players anyway. Do you feel he is to blame for anything, or do you think the players possess a little too much power? I ca also understand the frustration of certain guys though who have to put up with this inept management.

Does anyone give any credence to the idea that FC Barcelona has become FC Messi/friends? Honestly I get Grizz hasn't been great, but he hasn't been used properly either, and if you;re going to spend that much on a guy you should try to get the most out of him. He's made good runs and just does not see or get many passses. I couldnt believe how Suarez overlooked him a couple games ago.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Question: Reports seem to suggest Setien is under heat by the players. Or certain players anyway. Do you feel he is to blame for anything, or do you think the players possess a little too much power? I ca also understand the frustration of certain guys though who have to put up with this inept management.

Does anyone give any credence to the idea that FC Barcelona has become FC Messi/friends? Honestly I get Grizz hasn't been great, but he hasn't been used properly either, and if you;re going to spend that much on a guy you should try to get the most out of him. He's made good runs and just does not see or get many passses. I couldnt believe how Suarez overlooked him a couple games ago.

Could be... but Setien wasn't exactly stellar in Betis. He also takes blame for picking the wrong players weekly. Either way he should be gone. As I stated when he first came on here. The same problems he had elsewhere are surfacing here.

He doesn't even believe in himself how does he expect others to follow him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah I read some articles and watched some videos discussing the motives today and I agree with your point of view now. Incompetent management, not sure how I believe Barca need the money that bad.

They do need the money to balance the budget for the fiscal year which ends tomorrow. In their defense I'm sure that COVID-19 has played a part. Still they've made poor decisions along the way. What they're really doing here though from a financial perspective is they're kicking the can down the road. All they're doing is deferring the money and the next board will be left with part of the bill.

I think you (and I mean "you" generally and not just you personally) when you say inept management. The board is one thing, the manager and his coaching staff are another.

With regards to Setien and the supposed (again, it seems entirely true) unhappiness from some or all of the squad, both sides are at fault. Setien and the management team are at fault based on some of the selection and substitutions. They're also rigid in their tactical approach and demanding in their training. I also think Setien's comments about Arthur, while true, served no good purpose at that point in time.

With regards to the players, I've basically had it with most of them. If this is true and if certain senior players have an issue with Setien and his staff, I'd like to know exactly what that issue is. For me I don't see much of an argument from any of them. Is it the tactics? Well the tactics are very close to what we've seen work for the team in the past. Is it the training? Well life's hard and your wages are disgusting considering the World we live in so suck it up. Is it the selection? Well few of the players are showing up right now and NO ONE is showing up consistently apart from Ter Stegen. Is it the substitutions? Well they're not all bad and if you performed up to your level it wouldn't matter anyway. Go back a match or two and look at how Setien and Sarabia reacted. There was a player where somebody was making a good run and Arthur hesitated and then hesitated again and the run was gone and Setien was clearly frustrated because he should have passed the ball. Also, look at some of the matches. When they play with intensity to start a match they look really good, but eventually that fades and we're not talking after 70 minutes of frustration but rather after 20 minutes of looking the better side. And while the buck stops with the manager, I don't care how poor they are, at some point you are responsible for your own performance. As someone who has managed/lead people for about 20 years I can tell you that the best people who work for me are those who take responsibility for their performance, are open to feedback and don't take everything personally. One of these people has been given feedback by leadership above me on and off in the past, and some of it wouldn't be easy for a lot of people, and he has always been open to the feedback and learned from it. Today he has a sterling reputation and deservedly so.

With respect to the Griezmann incident, I commented on that after the fact. That said not all of his runs are great and not all of them are where you'd be easily able to pick him out. I just saw something the other day too where in one of the matches Messi passed it to him X amount of times and that was one of the highest pass numbers from one player to another in that match. Forget about all that. My problem here is Messi's reaction to Sarabia and Suarez's post match comments. The only scenario where I can forgive Messi ignoring Sarabia as he did in the match against Celta is if Sarabia was telling him something along the lines of "you f***ing suck!" I think anyone will agree that he surely wasn't saying that. So for Messi to walk away like that is disgusting. You see players not looking at a member of the coaching staff all the time when they come on, but Messi was walking away here and in my opinion clearly ignoring him. Now Sarabia is the Henk Ten Cate of Setien. He's the guy who really goes at the players to try and get them to carry out the instructions, train, etc. And Sarabia doesn't seem to mince words or lack intensity. He laughably apologized for whatever he said just a while back about Busquets in a match. Still he's the assistant manager and it's not always juice boxes and rainbows when you're not performing. These players should be ready for some tough feedback. They're professional footballers for f***'s sake. So for me to see Messi ignore him and walk away... Let me be very clear here. Messi can walk away from the club as a whole for all I care. Which brings me to Suarez. "Ask the coaches'? Really? Well let me ask you, what the f*** were you doing in the match against Athletic Club? And where was "ask the coaches" during the entire tenure of Valverde? It's clear Setien is making you work where as under Valverde it was a paid workout, but guess what jackass, this is a job! You can kiss Messi's ass while it's walking out of the club and that way you'll be gone too. Both are fantastic players and have done a great job for the club. In all sincerity, thank you for everything. However this sort of shit doesn't sit well with me. The papers talk about the three untouchable players in the squad. Well I have four, maybe five or six, and Messi and Suarez don't make that list right now if ever again.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
love Piggy just hope he doesn't get eaten alive by Atleti tonight

Not worried about that. He's tough as nails. Got hacked all season long with the B team and has handled it otherwise. Never forget two years ago when Kessie tried bullying him around in preseason and it didn't remotely work.

Reactions: Cassano

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So wait, I'm not watching live here, but did they actually retake the penalty because Ter Stegen was half an inch off the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad