La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Savi: Yeah but there's zero % chance one of those teams will be in the title race.

What makes you say that, how do you know, La Liga is more up in the air than ever right now, with Ronaldo leaving and not being replaced, with Barca not getting a new striker teams have more of a chance than ever.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Savi: Yeah but there's zero % chance one of those teams will be in the title race.

What makes you say that, how do you know, La Liga is more up in the air than ever right now, with Ronaldo leaving and not being replaced, with Barca not getting a new striker teams have more of a chance than ever.

Because none of the teams can be consistent enough to rack up enough points to challenge for top spot.

Look at least season. Valencia had a fantastic season in La Liga, their second best in the 14 years since they last won the title. They finished on 73 pts. Then look at Madrid, who by al means feel like they've had a disastrous Liga season. They finished with "only" 76 pts.

Last season was the 9th consecutive season it took at least 90 pts to win the league, the years before that it required 80+ pts as well. Valencia winning La Liga with 77 pts almost feels like another era.

Valencia's record high points total is 77. Sevilla's is 76. Other teams even lower. So yeah it would take quite the miracle to make it happen.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
It may have been Huesca, but it was still a fantastic performance where the team made the win and it wasn't just given to them. Could have scored 12 goals really. Very pleased with the way the team played despite the scoreline.
  • More fantastic goals from Messi. The guy's goals are so good they're rarely average. Which is actually something for the doubters and the dip****s who chalk up all of his success to Xavi and Iniesta (shhhh, don't tell them Xavi and Iniesta no longer play for the club). Put any other player in his position on those goals and tell me they convert all those chances. Not a chance. And I won't name names, but if I recall correctly no one in particular laughably made mention of Messi's off the ball movement. Well go have a look at his second goal and tell me about his off the ball movement.
  • Alba is such an underrated player. Excellent match in the attack third from him. Forced an own goal, made an excellent run (one of many) to get an assist and then of course scored towards the end. Thank you Lucho for dropping him and motivating an already top tier LB even more.
  • Curious where all the Suarez doubters are. All over the place in this one. His first goal was a result of an excellent run where he read the play way ahead of three of the Huesca defenders and then made a nice finish to slot it home. He made some nice passes putting in his teammates and might have had another assist. He also put in the work off the ball.
  • Coutinho with a really good match as essentially a CM/ACM. To get the best players on the pitch and do a 4-3-3 (at least when the whistle blows) I think we'll need to function in that role. Anyway, really liked his playmaking in this one and his fee looks like it is going to be pretty easily forgettable.
  • As I was saying, Dembele clearly deserves to be a part of this side. He didn't see that much of the ball, but when he did just some amazing quality. His shot off the bar was excellent and he took it so quickly. Still needs to smile once in a while, but glad to see him getting the consistent minutes.
  • Quick not on Vidal, I hope that yellow card was intentional and the enforcer move I think it was. I've been calling for an enforcer for some time and he'll grow on me quickly if he's going to stick up for his teammates like that.

You don't need to tell us what you're doing. We all know all of your posts are trolling whether you say they are or not. I'll take the bait though. Last season vs Juventus Messi was Man of the Match and scored two goals in a 3-0 win which went a long way to the team winning the group. He also had a very good CL Final against Juventus just a few years ago, but then that should come as no surprise as Messi has never had a bad CL Final. Maybe you're suffering from some sort of denial along with your Madridista delusion since he's the best ever Clasico player and regularly ***** slaps your fascist club.

Yeah, nobody gives a ****.
I struck multiple nerves

That was easy :)

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I guess Barcelona woke up last night.

The title race looks more fun than what I expected.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No nerves here, just calling you out.

You honestly thought Madrid was going to run away with the title? LOL

No, I had them as favourites for nothing this season. A development season with some interesting players to follow.
But it looks like they could give some trouble to Barcelona this season already.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Because none of the teams can be consistent enough to rack up enough points to challenge for top spot.

Look at least season. Valencia had a fantastic season in La Liga, their second best in the 14 years since they last won the title. They finished on 73 pts. Then look at Madrid, who by al means feel like they've had a disastrous Liga season. They finished with "only" 76 pts.

Last season was the 9th consecutive season it took at least 90 pts to win the league, the years before that it required 80+ pts as well. Valencia winning La Liga with 77 pts almost feels like another era.

Valencia's record high points total is 77. Sevilla's is 76. Other teams even lower. So yeah it would take quite the miracle to make it happen.

But you just said RM had a poor season, which is what I'm saying, maybe Barca and RM will have poorer seasons, AM looks poised to get the title this year, the other clubs have a shot too, this is the 1st season in a long time that Barca and RM don't look unbeatable and AM look good.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Messi is still the greatest soccer player in the world. He doesn't need awards to determine that either. He just sees things nobody else can.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
But you just said RM had a poor season, which is what I'm saying, maybe Barca and RM will have poorer seasons, AM looks poised to get the title this year, the other clubs have a shot too, this is the 1st season in a long time that Barca and RM don't look unbeatable and AM look good.

How does AM look poised to get the title? I mean, before the season started sure, they held on to their players and made some good additions, improvement expected, agreed, it crossed my mind too. But poised? ...they are currently sitting at 10th in the league with a win a loss and a draw and a -1 GD, while Barca and RM sit at 1-2 with goal differentials of 12-2 and 10-2 respectively. Anything can happen, by all means, but I don't know where you're getting your narrative...

Reactions: All Might

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
How does AM look poised to get the title? I mean, before the season started sure, they held on to their players and made some good additions, improvement expected, agreed, it crossed my mind too. But poised? ...they are currently sitting at 10th in the league with a win a loss and a draw and a -1 GD, while Barca and RM sit at 1-2 with goal differentials of 12-2 and 10-2 respectively. Anything can happen, by all means, but I don't know where you're getting your narrative...

Well they look like they have a good chance, let's put it that way.

I know some clubs haven't had good starts and Barca has, but it's still early, it's not how you start, it's how you finish, though Barca and RM have started well, they have had easy matches.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well they look like they have a good chance, let's put it that way.

I know some clubs haven't had good starts and Barca has, but it's still early, it's not how you start, it's how you finish, though Barca and RM have started well, they have had easy matches.

Well, I mean I guess the top two's opponents haven't been any cream of the cream, but is Celta Vigo (who Atleti just lost to, and really that third goal probably should have counted)? They finished 13th last year... Of course the season is young and anything can happen, I said as much, but still Atletico has looked much worse than they probably should thus far

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Watching these first 3 games did nothing to change my mind about Lopetegui's Madrid - I think they'll be more consistent in La Liga, but will struggle against big teams.

They went from a side built for power football and taking down big teams to a side that's trying to maintain 75% possession without necessarily having the players for that type of football.

Modric is the best at opening passing lanes, Kroos is a sublime passer, Bale can make fantastic off-ball runs... But for now it's all coming down to countless side-passes and it's looking very much like Spain in the WC - high possession, but largely uneventful.
Of course, it gets easily masked because of the teams they've been facing.
I mean, I could be wrong, that's just my impression.

Barca, OTOH, in their "ideal 11" with Coutinho, look really good offensively, but there's a gap in the middle of the pitch where Rakitic and Busquets are left alone vs the opposition, Coutinho is much more offensively orientated so it's more of a 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3.
They've looked great (the silly game on an unplayable pitch in Valladolid aside), Messi's looked great, but as with Madrid, they've not really faced any serious teams.
On paper and on the pitch though, they do look good, and they have some extra depth this year to help them in multiple competitions.

Bottom line, I expect the title race to be close, as Lopetegui's Madrid might just thrive on hammering inferior teams, but in turn is not a team that will come close to winning another CL.
Barca, OTOH, might just get that CL title this season, though it's still very hard to judge after 3 games vs inferior opposition.

I've not seen a single Atletico game, just highlights, so can't really tell what's up with them and their rather pedestrian start.

Reactions: Power Man

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
And they're going to be doing this every year for the next fifteen years?? :barf:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
And for anyone interested, Girona decided to do this for 4mil. At least their fans know their opinion is worth less than what is chump-change in today's football market.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They spent a total of 10 million in transfers... 4 million is definitely not chump change to them.

But he wasn't saying it was to them, he was saying it was in the general football world, i.e. for the league almost certainly. Naturally it's their own poor status that led to them being the ones to approve it in the end. (I would imagine more money changed hands behind the scenes though as well)

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But he wasn't saying it was to them, he was saying it was in the general football world, i.e. for the league almost certainly. Naturally it's their own poor status that led to them being the ones to approve it in the end. (I would imagine more money changed hands behind the scenes though as well)

Thank you.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He clearly says Girona decided to do this... not la liga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad