La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get why they took Bale out with Barcelona winning, and why they keep taking him out.
He just got going while Benzema was having a very quiet game, and the new #7 has zero mins.

Now it's having to wait Barca to make mistakes which isn't good.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
He clearly has trouble with high balls played a great game up until those 2 incidents first one he could be forgiven but the second he MUST do better. Oh well go Werner!

Argentine clubs need to give young GK their shot... Brazil has a similar problem, teams are quick to turn to veterans even if they aren't all that good. The fear of a young player not handling the pressure of the position, keep them from producing star keepers while in Germany and Italy you see 19yo starting for first division clubs.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentine clubs need to give young GK their shot... Brazil has a similar problem, teams are quick to turn to veterans even if they aren't all that good. The fear of a young player not handling the pressure of the position, keep them from producing star keepers while in Germany and Italy you see 19yo starting for first division clubs.

This manifests itself with the NT. THere's players that should be on the team for years now and still don't have a spot.

Brasil is doing well for themselves no? I mean Ederson and Allison... I'd kill for Argentina to be as good as one of those right now. But no we have Willy.

Glad you started finally cheering for the right team in Spain.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
This manifests itself with the NT. THere's players that should be on the team for years now and still don't have a spot.

Brasil is doing well for themselves no? I mean Ederson and Allison... I'd kill for Argentina to be as good as one of those right now. But no we have Willy.

Glad you started finally cheering for the right team in Spain.
What are you talking about,, I'veays cheered for Real Madrid

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
On the one hand we were definitely fortunate to walk away with three points after that match. On the other had the ref done his job we likely would have won by a larger margin. Either way La Real came to play with this "bogey" fixture being what it's made up to be coupled with the fact it was their first home match of the season thanks to the work being done on the Anoeta. Add to that the fact that basically nobody showed up for us apart from maybe Pique and Umtiti along with Ter Stegen of course. Ter Stegen was huge in this one and easily the Man of the Match. Three big saves and quite frankly he should be involved in every best GK in the World discussion right now. He's been consistently good for a long time now.

Looking ahead it looks rough. This was the first of seven matches in a period of something like twenty three days against the likes of PSV, Spurs and Valencia. After that you've got Sevilla, Inter and Madrid before October is out. Then before Christmas it's Betis, Atleti, PSV, Espanyol away and Spurs before Christmas. Fortunately a good number of those matches are at home.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
On the one hand we were definitely fortunate to walk away with three points after that match. On the other had the ref done his job we likely would have won by a larger margin. Either way La Real came to play with this "bogey" fixture being what it's made up to be coupled with the fact it was their first home match of the season thanks to the work being done on the Anoeta. Add to that the fact that basically nobody showed up for us apart from maybe Pique and Umtiti along with Ter Stegen of course. Ter Stegen was huge in this one and easily the Man of the Match. Three big saves and quite frankly he should be involved in every best GK in the World discussion right now. He's been consistently good for a long time now.

Looking ahead it looks rough. This was the first of seven matches in a period of something like twenty three days against the likes of PSV, Spurs and Valencia. After that you've got Sevilla, Inter and Madrid before October is out. Then before Christmas it's Betis, Atleti, PSV, Espanyol away and Spurs before Christmas. Fortunately a good number of those matches are at home.
I think Ter Stegen is in that group from 4-8 or so.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Alisson is the only one truly produced in Brazil, though. Ederson started at Sao Paulo, but most of his youth days were at Benfica and he debuted professionally in the Portuguese League. I doubt he would've got a shot if he stayed put. We've got a lot of good keepers playing locally, but all of them are over 30.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pfff. He's nowhere near 8. Top 3 easily I'd say if you go by his actual performances.
Right now I got
Neuer, De Gea

Oblak, MaTS, Alisson, Ederson, Courtois, Buffon all around the same level. Currently I have Oblak, MaTS, and Alisson rounding out my top 5 but I think arguments could be made for any of them to be anywhere in the top 10.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Eh...Alisson hasn't really convinced me yet. He's been solid but he's also had some pretty questionable plays so far. I think it's tough though because nobody watches all these top goalies consistently and when they do they aren't analyzing all the stuff a keeper needs to concentrate on.

Reactions: Gecklund

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
For me, Neuer is the best goalkeeper, all things considered. He literally changes the game Bayern is able to play.

Best shot stopper - DDG.

Most consistent shot stopper - MaTS. He stops so many tough shots so consistently. While DDG seems to have a higher ceiling, he also seems to allow a stinker here and there.
MaTS gives Barca something they haven't had in ages, and it's working. Even in bad games, they seem to hold out until they squeeze one in and end up winning.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For me, Neuer is the best goalkeeper, all things considered. He literally changes the game Bayern is able to play.

Best shot stopper - DDG.

Most consistent shot stopper - MaTS. He stops so many tough shots so consistently. While DDG seems to have a higher ceiling, he also seems to allow a stinker here and there.
MaTS gives Barca something they haven't had in ages, and it's working. Even in bad games, they seem to hold out until they squeeze one in and end up winning.
DDG only allows stinkers internationally. Otherwise he’s making saves that we all thought were sure goals.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
My top 3 would be Neuer, ter Stegen and De Gea.

I don't agree with a lot of what @Corto says at times, but he's correct about ter Stegen's consistency. I would put that into further context to in that this is for a side that enjoys a lot of possession, can be susceptible on the counter due in part to playing such a high line and which doesn't always face a ton of shots. Ter Stegen has ensured points for a while now as last week's match at Anoeta is evidence. Also, while ter Stegen doesn't change the way Barça plays, he allows us to play the way we want. He's fantastic at playing the ball from the back under pressure.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My top 3 would be Neuer, ter Stegen and De Gea.

I don't agree with a lot of what @Corto says at times, but he's correct about ter Stegen's consistency. I would put that into further context to in that this is for a side that enjoys a lot of possession, can be susceptible on the counter due in part to playing such a high line and which doesn't always face a ton of shots. Ter Stegen has ensured points for a while now as last week's match at Anoeta is evidence. Also, while ter Stegen doesn't change the way Barça plays, he allows us to play the way we want. He's fantastic at playing the ball from the back under pressure.
That’s one of the things I really wish De Gea was better at. If he could play the ball out of the back he would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->