La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
If he ever really gets his head straight he could be borderline unstoppable

It also still amazes me how fast he really is, he could easily have a second career in sprint racing :laugh: I wonder what his 100m time would be

He had the ball glued to his feet today, and the finish on that goal was exquisite. Read he completed 11 dribbles with 15 attempts, all of that with him having to leave halfway in the 2nd half. His game in the final third is still developing, but he’s been on fire the last little while

Reactions: les Habs

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
They were not that much better offensively last season if you watch them every game like I do. Only Ronaldo turned it in on the second half of the season after a bad first half of the season. Modric is starting to play like he normally does and Ceballos had an excellent game. Vinicius his raw but has great ability. Isco got fat and is not motivated and Vasquez is a work horse player not a top player. Zidane used Vazquez a lot as well last season especially in big games.

Modric has slowly been getting better, now he finally seems to be getting fully to form. He was brilliant vs Sevilla, especially in the second half.
Varane and Ramos are slowly hitting form as well.
On the other hand, Marcelo is struggling, Carvajal is playing pretty ordinary and regardless of how long Modric has in the tank in the middle of the pitch their problem start with a very mediocre front-3.
To be clear, Benzema's still great (though lacks the clinical finishing), but the other two slots NEED to be ugraded ASAP if they want to go back to competing vs Barca etc. Hazard + another top scorer is quick and easy fix and the other stuff can be ironed out later.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Really entertaining match at the Camp Nou against Leganes. Leganes put in a good performance and were tough to break down. In fact it wasn't even our best performance. However really liked what I saw from a couple of guys and then some really good theater in the second half.

Dembele definitely Man of the Match for me. As @TheLeastOfTheBunch noted he still needs to work a bit on his end product (his passing can be a bit lazy) and decision making, but he's not far off. And to put him into perspective, this is technically his first season and he's only 21. He's just so skilled from the dribbling, to the passing and the finishing. And as @Savi noted he's got a really good turn of pace. He'll definitely be one of the best of his generation. I've never doubted the signing and time only reinforces this belief. He did some amazing things out there today, but that finish which he made look so easy was just fantastic.

Also very happy with what I saw from Alena in this one. It's really too bad he didn't see more of the ball. His performance is something I'd expect from Coutinho to be honest. Thinking ahead to the future he's very different than Arthur and Puig and I like that they all are different midfielders. Really hope Alena gets more minutes this season.

Have to mention Suarez and his gamesmanship once again. Has to be the best in the World at it. Was having a row with the Leganes goalkeeper. Then scored that goal where he caught the keeper on face with the follow through. Moments later the keeper throws an elbow (which of course the ref missed). Then after Recio kicked Suarez after the ball was well out of play Suarez was rowing with him. He just gets under the skin of the opposition. Interesting that the commentators brought up Cruyff and how he brought in Stoickov back in the day because he was this sort of player and the rest of the squad were too much like "good" guys.

I'll leave it Messi and Alba which is perhaps appropriate considering how they finished off the match. Full credit to Messi on Suarez's goal for just an amazing shot out of virtually nothing. Anyway, the way he and Alba interchange is just a joy to watch. Alba with two more assists today and had Suarez finished as he should have late on would have had three assists. He's on pace for near Neymar level assist numbers this season. In fact in the last four seasons including this season thus far he's averaged 6 assists a season in an average of only 25 starts. And Alba's last assist to Messi today was just fantastic when you watch the overall play. So I'm curious where @HFBoardsSoccerForum is. If this were Marcelo I was talking about there'd be how many posts talking about how he's the best LB in the World and how his career has just been amazing (LOL).

Dembele and Arthur are a joy to watch these days. Fantastic players

Yeah, but they're crap signings because as someone noted in the Transfers thread the other day we don't make good signings. Or better yet all the question marks when we bought Dembele.

Who's better Arthur or Coutinho

@Duchene2MacKinnon nailed most of it. I'll just add two things. First, for his age, Arthur is just fantastic. He looks experienced out there. Second, he's been here only half a season, but he looks far more settled than Coutinho does on the pitch. I'm a big, big fan, but there's a buzz from some of the commentators who are just really looking forward to his second half of the season.

Messi saves the day in the 2nd half. Coutinho's struggling a bit, crowd's noticing it now

Not sure I noticed the crowd on top of Coutinho, and in fact they were behind him just last week, but really just odd how Jeckyl and Hyde he is. He's getting the minutes so there's nothing to complain about there. I think he's definitely lacking in confidence. That said his season has been way overblown when you consider the matches he's shown up in. My take is that we'll need him for the second half of the season, but that's also a real test period for me. If he doesn't step up a level and I mean consistently, then I'd shift him this Summer.

If he ever really gets his head straight he could be borderline unstoppable

It also still amazes me how fast he really is, he could easily have a second career in sprint racing :laugh: I wonder what his 100m time would be

I think his head will be on straight eventually. I don't think he's really that much of a problem anyway, but either way he's surrounded by too many professionals who while holding him accountable are still very clearly behind him and supporting him.

He had the ball glued to his feet today, and the finish on that goal was exquisite. Read he completed 11 dribbles with 15 attempts, all of that with him having to leave halfway in the 2nd half. His game in the final third is still developing, but he’s been on fire the last little while

I'd be curious to know what constitutes a "completed" dribble and see what dribbles were considered unsuccessful because he'd dribble 2-3 players and then lose the ball. So if he's dribbling three players and losing the ball I'd call that somewhat successful unsuccessful dribble. :DD

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
f***ing Valverde. TF was he thinking putting in that lineup against Sevilla? We can still go through, but it's going to be difficult now when it could have been easier.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Man reffing in la liga needs a major overhaul. Getafe down 10 man already and another player gets sent off for clapping. Embarrassing.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Feel bad for Coutinho, just can't catch a break. Antidote is certainly to play him regularly until he finds his groove, which is how Dembele got better this season.

Arthur continues to show how important he is to this Barcelona team, added much needed control in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Talk about take the points and get out of town. Dull performance and Girona were up for it as they always are against us. I'm sure neither side was impressed with the ref either. Ter Stegen and Pique coming up with big saves and despite Semedo netting the winner it felt like Messi's goal was the real winner. Alba to Messi yet again, but full credit to Suarez for his turn and releasing Alba to perfection. Suarez also put Coutinho through really well late on. Suarez should have had a brace though.

Feel bad for Coutinho, just can't catch a break. Antidote is certainly to play him regularly until he finds his groove, which is how Dembele got better this season.

Arthur continues to show how important he is to this Barcelona team, added much needed control in the 2nd half.

I don't really. If he put in the work on the defensive end I'd be more sympathetic, but he offers nothing defensively. He clearly has the support of his teammates, but then he should be putting in the work too.

Big improvement over Vidal. Vidal apparently not happy being subbed, but he's more than free to put in a transfer request if that's the case. Anyway, Arthur was excellent in possession. Just wait until he starts playing it a bit less safe and starts putting in through balls.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Arthur is awesome and always seemed built for Barca (that DNA perhaps :P). de Jong is going to be amazing there too. Coutinho can kick rocks.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Coutinho looking better today from the little I've seen. Hopefully that goal gives him some confidence.

Excellent ball by Arthur on that Rakitic goal. He's looked good again from what I've seen.

BIG save from Cillessen on that penalty. We are so fortunate to have him as our backup. He should be a full time starter somewhere.

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Excellent ball from Suarez that had some heat to it and nice diving header from Coutinho. Now add another goal and then get Semedo out there to defend the lead.

A few minutes prior to the goal Lenglet made a really smart and perfect foul to stop the break.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
f***. Cillessen needed a better clearance before that goal. Of course it didn't help that the ref let Messi's shirt being pulled off the ball go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad