La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I don't.
And guess what, many don't either.
Heck, some people are hyping Griez for BdO. I don't.

And my post said Modric couldn't claim the same (being key for two teams winning the CL and WC) than Varane, to which you answered yes he can.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I don't.
And guess what, many don't either.
Heck, some people are hyping Griez for BdO. I don't.

And my post said Modric couldn't claim the same (being key for two teams winning the CL and WC) than Varane, to which you answered yes he can.
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the majority opinion (not just because of his big name) is that Modric has been the best player over that time. He has been more influential at Madrid, and he took a team that not very many expected to go far to the final of the WC. That's significant. That doesn't mean other players haven't been good or influential, but I personally can't think of any other player that was as influential or consistent besides Messi, but in a world cup year where you go out early and don't have big stats generally you won't get the vote.

That's not just media driven either. Soccer fans from all over, whether they like Real or not, feel this way.

Reactions: Islesfan22

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think many expected Croatia to beat the opponents they beat. In fact, I think the overwhelming majority had them favourite in everyone of their game (not their fault big teams failed).

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Erh no. We're judging who's had the best year. Someone being key to his team winning the CL and then being key to another team winning the WC is a better resume than just the first part.

You're saying it like if Croatia got out in the group stage...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, Croatia beat average teams (barely) to get to the final.
The "Modric lead them to WC final" story is nice and all, but frankly, let's not pretend Modric put a Maradona 86/Platini 82 cape or something.
He had a solid WC, nothing outstanding IMO and his team barely beat inferior opponents along the way. Heck, the best game they played was in the final (and Modric didn't particularly shined BTW).
Modric has gone from underrated to overrated on this website anyway.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No, Croatia beat average teams (barely) to get to the final.
The "Modric lead them to WC final" story is nice and all, but frankly, let's not pretend Modric put a Maradona 86/Platini 82 cape or something.
He had a solid WC, nothing outstanding IMO and his team barely beat inferior opponents along the way. Heck, the best game they played was in the final (and Modric didn't particularly shined BTW).
Modric has gone from underrated to overrated on this website anyway.
Where do you rank Modric in terms of midfielder? If you have people above him, who is it? You might have said it earlier but I don’t feel like trying to find it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Where do you rank Modric in terms of midfielder? If you have people above him, who is it? You might have said it earlier but I don’t feel like trying to find it.
I rank him first or at least around it (depending on the sytem). But he's hardly head and shoulders above everyone. That's just a narrative.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Barca's troubles continue after falling behind at home against Athletic a few minutes before half-time. Messi is on the bench.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Messi comes of the bench to create the equalizer, Munir of all people scoring that. The problem is that without Messi they don't look anything special, and Messi at this stage of his career probably needs to pace himself a bit more to be at his best in late spring.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Valverde knows how to put a solid defensive structure in place but the poor man has absolutely zero offensive creativity. When Messi is on the bench, it's painful to see how little chances they create with those kind of (borderline) world class players. From the positioning, the complete lack of movement or ideas, I really wonder what the hell they practice on for an entire week. So many times when I'm watching Barça (and I had the same feeling last year even when they were winning every week) I get the feeling it's bunch of star players, playing with eachother for the first time.

tl;dr - Valverde football is shit

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Top down issues with Barcelona, along with Valverde not putting a few of his players in positions to succeed (Coutinho got absolutely bullied today), but also players who are inconsistent in form in recent weeks (Pique, Roberto, Dembele..). Pique needs to get his act together, October is a very rough month schedule wise, games against Tottenham, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Madrid and Inter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bale, Isco, Benzema and Asensio.

Why the need for Lewa? He doesn't score more than Benz and adds less on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna