Rumor: Kypreos: Lots of interest in Dougie Hamilton; not being shopped

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The problem was Brent Sutter, he completely neutered the offensive game of Bouwmeester. When Hartley took over for the lockout shortened season, Bouwmeester had 15 points in 33 games before he was dealt.

He neutered the offence of the entire team. Worst coach the Flames had during the Iginla era.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He's not playing as much as Engelland because Engelland can kill penalties and is probably playing the best hockey of his career. You can laugh all you want but outside of a couple blunders Engelland has been excellent this year.

We know that Engelland can put together long stretches of solid hockey (I like to say he's the sort of guy who knows his limitations and never plays outside of them--which is a wonderful thing for a D with limited talent to have going for him), but the idea that he's supplanted someone like Hamilton is just going to strike Penguin fans as odd, to say the least.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
We know that Engelland can put together long stretches of solid hockey (I like to say he's the sort of guy who knows his limitations and never plays outside of them--which is a wonderful thing for a D with limited talent to have going for him), but the idea that he's supplanted someone like Hamilton is just going to strike Penguin fans as odd, to say the least.

Supplanted might be the wrong word. He's played with Brodie a lot while Hamilton plays a lot with Jokkipaka. Gulutzan likes to spread our top 3 out on different pairings (though he hasnt been as much lately it seems) and Brodie of course plays more than Hamilton, while Engelland also kills penalties.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Being a leafs fan I would like the idea of acquiring Hamilton. I know he is more offensively-inclined but having a young RHD in the Top 4 would help remove minutes from undeserving players like Hunwick, Polak, etc.

Im not going to pretend to know what the Flames needs are but my guess is forwards. With that said, does the trade have to involve NHL regulars or NHL ready prospects? Because the Leafs have a plethora of picks and with the Hamilton to CGY trade as framework the Leafs could afford to trade a 2nd or 2 along with a forward prospect or two to acquire Hamilton.

How would something like Kapanen+SJS/OTT 2nd+player with decent salary(not necessarily a cap dump but somebody getting paid more than an ELC) for Hamilton sound?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's less supplanting and more that Gulutzan wants each pair to have a LH and RH shot playing their natural sides. Engelland and Brodie play well together and Hamilton and Brodie have not had much if any success playing together. Hamilton is also not suited to play top minutes with Giordano at the moment, thus leaving him with Jokipakka and Kulak most of the time, which causes his minutes to be lower than they were when he was playing with Kris Russell last year. Funny enough if one of Hamilton or Engelland shot left, they would probably make a pretty solid pairing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Being a leafs fan I would like the idea of acquiring Hamilton. I know he is more offensively-inclined but having a young RHD in the Top 4 would help remove minutes from undeserving players like Hunwick, Polak, etc.

Im not going to pretend to know what the Flames needs are but my guess is forwards. With that said, does the trade have to involve NHL regulars or NHL ready prospects? Because the Leafs have a plethora of picks and with the Hamilton to CGY trade as framework the Leafs could afford to trade a 2nd or 2 along with a forward prospect or two to acquire Hamilton.

How would something like Kapanen+SJS/OTT 2nd+player with decent salary(not necessarily a cap dump but somebody getting paid more than an ELC) for Hamilton sound?
The Flames most pressing need is an Alzner/Hamonic type defenseman, moving Hamilton for anything other than a top 4 defensive stalwart makes little to no sense for the Flames.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Fleury+Sprong+Schultz for Hamilton+Elliot

I don't value Sprong nearly as high as others, and Fleury needs to be dealt, but this is a lousy deal for Pittsburgh. The last thing Pittsburgh needs is a 23-year old defenseman being paid 5.75 million for the next 5 years playing horrid hockey. Hamilton hasn't been good. Let someone else take him.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
The Flames most pressing need is an Alzner/Hamonic type defenseman, moving Hamilton for anything other than a top 4 defensive stalwart makes little to no sense for the Flames.

But, based on his play and his lousy contract, he isn't worth a top four D man.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
But, based on his play and his lousy contract, he isn't worth a top four D man.

You're right. A 23 year old, 6'5", good skating offensive defenseman with consecutive 40+ pt seasons and 10+ goals signed at less then 6 mill until age 29 isnt worth another top 4 d-man....

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Red Wings are looking for defence. I wonder if Treliving was looking at either Larkin, Nyqvist or Athanasiou. Not a very good performance for the Wings today though. Maybe Brad will have to look elsewhere.

Doubt that Larkin nor AA would be involved in a deal based around Hamilton. Would Calgary need a D man coming back. Maybe something around Nyquist+Mantha+Detroit's 2017 1st round pick for Hamilton. If Treliving wants a D man back maybe something around either Smith or Ouellet added to the package.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Why would we trade Hamilton, 23 years old, one year after getting him when he's one of our best and will only grow? These always quite clearly say 'not being shopped', but like in the beginning of the season, everyone will mistake other team's interests for 'oh Calgary wants to trade him!!'

Hamilton your 'best'? I mean, if that's your best, then why is Engelland playing more minutes, has a better +/- (Engelland +8 to Hamilton's -9) and is only 2 points behind Hamilton? I call BS lol. Face it, Hamilton was overpaid, he can't perform unless he's sheltered and he just can't cut it. Hamilton is like the Dustin Penner of the Oilers. You expect him to be a Power forward (Hamilton a physical 2 way defender) but plays a totally different game than what you thought you had.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamilton your 'best'? I mean, if that's your best, then why is Engelland playing more minutes, has a better +/- (Engelland +8 to Hamilton's -9) and is only 2 points behind Hamilton? I call BS lol. Face it, Hamilton was overpaid, he can't perform unless he's sheltered and he just can't cut it.

Um first of all Engelland is a third pair D who picked up seven of his plus eight playing with Brett Kulak who was just amazing. He also picked up a plus or two on the penalty kill where our forwards teamed up for a shorty (you can't get a minus on the PK, but you can get a plus). The pairing, while very good together, also had a ridiculously inflated PDO.

Most of Hamilton's minuses have built up in a four game slump. He was +1 just four games ago. It doesn't help that he's often been paired with Grossmann, with whom he picked up four minuses he never deserved. Finally, the Flames have been on the wrong end of around six empty netters against at the end of games, naturally I assume Hamilton was on the ice for one or two of them due to being an offensive D.

Using +/- to decide who the better defenseman has been is absurd. Hamilton isn't without his warts but he's had a strong season prior to this slump.

Engelland has been picking up points, yes. Kudos to him, but everyone and their mother knows it's reliably unsustainable.

As for why Engelland plays more minutes

- He kills penalties
- When he kills penalties, he can't clear the puck and so he spends a long shift killing penalties
- The put the Flames been on the ice for more penalty kills than power plays.
- Because Kulak/Brodie are better LD than Jokipakka

Hamilton is like the Dustin Penner of the Oilers. You expect him to be a Power forward (Hamilton a physical 2 way defender) but plays a totally different game than what you thought you had.

Classic Oilers fan, trying to make up a narrative that draws a parallel to an Oilers fail.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doubt that Larkin nor AA would be involved in a deal based around Hamilton. Would Calgary need a D man coming back. Maybe something around Nyquist+Mantha+Detroit's 2017 1st round pick for Hamilton. If Treliving wants a D man back maybe something around either Smith or Ouellet added to the package.
To be honest I think that would be an overpayment by the Wings. I would do Nyquist, Mantha, Smith and a conditional pick (3rd if Smith does not re-sign) for Dougie Hamilton, and Freddie Hamilton (to balance the cap hits) and a conditional pick (3rd if Smith does re-sign)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
To be honest I think that would be an overpayment by the Wings. I would do Nyquist, Mantha, Smith and a conditional pick (3rd if Smith does not re-sign) for Dougie Hamilton, and Freddie Hamilton (to balance the cap hits) and a conditional pick (3rd if Smith does re-sign)

Yeah that sounds more fair, Nyquist+Mantha+Smith+Detroit's 2017 conditional 3rd round pick if Smith resigns that's more then fair and pretty much what i was thinking. For Dougie Hamilton and Freddie Hamilton would easily do this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah that sounds more fair, Nyquist+Mantha+Smith+Detroit's 2017 conditional 3rd round pick if Smith resigns that's more then fair and pretty much what i was thinking. For Dougie Hamilton and Freddie Hamilton would easily do this.
I think it could work for both teams. Try Nyquist with Gaudreau and Monahan and Smith gives us someone that is better defensively than what we have in Hamilton (with Gio and Brodie on the team and Kylington/Andersson in the AHL, I am not too worried about the offense we would lose from the blueline).

I actually really like what that does to our top 9 and I'd hope to see CGY pick up a UFA defenseman as well.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Nyquist
Frolik - Backlund - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Bennett - Mantha
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

Giordano - Brodie
Smith - Free Agent
Jokipakka/Kulak - Free Agent/Engelland (I think we will lose Jokipakka or Kulak to expansion)

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
believe what you want, but struggling for 5-10 games won't impact his value as much as the HF pundits like to believe.

On the other hand, it's also easy to say: believe what you want, but Flames fans are overvaluing Hamilton and the return they think they can get for him. His poor play has definitely hurt his value.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Um first of all Engelland is a third pair D who picked up seven of his plus eight playing with Brett Kulak who was just amazing. He also picked up a plus or two on the penalty kill where our forwards teamed up for a shorty (you can't get a minus on the PK, but you can get a plus). The pairing, while very good together, also had a ridiculously inflated PDO.

Most of Hamilton's minuses have built up in a four game slump. He was +1 just four games ago. It doesn't help that he's often been paired with Grossmann, with whom he picked up four minuses he never deserved. Finally, the Flames have been on the wrong end of around six empty netters against at the end of games, naturally I assume Hamilton was on the ice for one or two of them due to being an offensive D.

Using +/- to decide who the better defenseman has been is absurd. Hamilton isn't without his warts but he's had a strong season prior to this slump.

Engelland has been picking up points, yes. Kudos to him, but everyone and their mother knows it's reliably unsustainable.

As for why Engelland plays more minutes

- He kills penalties
- When he kills penalties, he can't clear the puck and so he spends a long shift killing penalties
- The put the Flames been on the ice for more penalty kills than power plays.
- Because Kulak/Brodie are better LD than Jokipakka

Classic Oilers fan, trying to make up a narrative that draws a parallel to an Oilers fail.

And typical Flames fans who thinks their defence is 'Best in the League' and 'We're the Blackhawks of the NHL'. Hamilton is a bust. Just like Penner was a bust, PRV a bust, Yakupov a bust, and many others. Difference is I accepted they're busts. You haven't.

And to clarify what I mean by bust, a player who's expected to become something higher than what they are playing at. Ex. Hamilton playing like a bottom pairing than a Top 2 Dman and Yakupov playing like a 1st Line RW rather than a #13 forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad