Rumor: Kypreos: Lots of interest in Dougie Hamilton; not being shopped

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Calgary needs to tear it down...

Their top 6 is just not good enough.

The Dmen are shocking to me because they have some big names back there but just doesn't seem to be enough. To me, Calgary is a team with no identity of play

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Most of the free agent signings in the past two years IMO

We have signed a grand total of 5 free agents in the last two years tha warrant mentioning or have played games this year. (To the best of my recollection). Frolik has been one of if not our best and most consistent player this year. Brouwer, while not amazing definitely isn't the problem.

Grossman was terrible and signed for cap reasons (get more relief when they LTIR'd Smid). Why he ever played a game is beyond me. Vey is playing because they want to keep the kids in Stockton rolling and injuries. Hopefully doesn't play much longer.

Johnson has been arguably as good or better then Elliot and is signed for one year.

Our FA signings aren't the problem. Our inability to play a full 60 minutes and incessant need to turn over the puck in prime locations is the problem.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sam Reinhart
Zack Bogosian
2017 2nd round pick
2017 2nd round pick

Sam Bennett
Dougie Hamilton

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Calgary needs to tear it down...

Their top 6 is just not good enough.

The Dmen are shocking to me because they have some big names back there but just doesn't seem to be enough. To me, Calgary is a team with no identity of play

We're still in the 4th year of a so-called 5 year rebuild. People forget that because we made the playoffs in year 2. Tearing it down now would be so dumb.

Trade Hamilton for a defensive d-man? Sure. He is rather redundant on a roster with so many puck moving D. Other then that, this team has a ton of skill and we need patience.

Other then that we just need patience and confidence. We have zero confidence. Starting in net (Elliot has been god awful), Brodie is finally rounding into form (Gio's been good for the most part), he looked lost out there. But he was a top 5 damn last year and has the skill to change a game the 25 minutes he's out there.

Our AHL team has a half dozen prospects producing at high levels at young ages.

If we suck. Owell. Add another solid defencemen/forward in the draft. We have no bad contracts anymore except maybe Brouwer.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hamilton's contract looks ugly if he's going to continue to struggle as a third pairing guy moving forwards.

I wonder how that will impact his trade value.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hamilton is not a 3rd pairing Dman :laugh:

The Flames would not deal him short of a massive overpayment. If Dougie was not on the team, the hole left there would be the equivalent size to the Grand Canyon. He's not perfect, but he's still young and within 3 seasons I expect him to be playing some spectacular hockey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bouwmeester 2.0?

This obviously tells me you have never watched him. Other than skating ability, the 2 players are literally nothing alike. Jbo is pretty much a non physical shutdown defenceman, decent passer but has no shot. Dougie skates as well, is a better passer, has a far better shot, superior offsensive instincts, but is quite a bit worse defensively.

Dougie is actually everything I was hoping Jbo to be, he's just still a little raw.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
"Lets say Hamilton is worth more than petry" he says. How kind of you. Let's also say the sky is blue and grass is green too.

Seriously. Every thread I see you in you get roasted. It's hilarious but also kinda sad to see you struggle so hard trying to talk like you have any sort of clue.

Take a break from hf for a few years, watch as much hockey as you can, gain some knowledge and then come back and try again.

Seriously. You get torn apart every time you press the submit button. By multiple fan bases. Take a hint.

The problem isn't everybody else...

Petry os better than hamilton. thats all that matters in this trade. I cant see why hamilton would be worth more. Only reason being hes younger.

cdmcln

Mar 28, 2015
What would Calgary legitimately want for Hamilton if Toronto offered something?

I know he isn't being shopped but if he was going to be moved what would they look for?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still would love to have a Dman like Hamilton on the Oilers. That right shot offensive Dman with room to grow. I don't mind his contract either. Not that Calgary would make a deal there.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
This obviously tells me you have never watched him. Other than skating ability, the 2 players are literally nothing alike. Jbo is pretty much a non physical shutdown defenceman, decent passer but has no shot. Dougie skates as well, is a better passer, has a far better shot, superior offsensive instincts, but is quite a bit worse defensively.

Dougie is actually everything I was hoping Jbo to be, he's just still a little raw.

Thanks but that is not what I was insinuating. I meant its Jbo 2.0 in a sense that its the 2nd time that the Flames gave a big contract to a similar style dman (not exactly but young, big and highly touted) and it didn't work out as the anticipated.

That sais, I hope they swing a deal with the Pens.

Fleury and Maatta
for
Elliott and Hamilton

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I think it's a close comp.
I disagree that Dougie passes & shoots better than JBo.
I do agree that JBo is much better in his own end, but the offense is closer than you think ATM. I'd agree that Dougie has a better offensive potential though.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

all their big names on D are good offensive dmen. They don't have many guys that can actually play DEFENCE at a high level.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Maatta is still being counted on more - and with more succes - than DH this season, while playing his worst ever hockey for us.
And no, Fleury's stats are not as bad as Elliott's, despite some rocky outings taking lots of shots.

But it is true that DH's superior mobility would be the motivating factor for the Pens. Maatta just doesn't fit Sullivan's tactics very well - which likely impacts his perfomance (pretty good in the cup finals though). In terms of defensive IQ/play and penalty killing,Maatta is superior to DH. Suppose it is also about what Calgary's relative needs are.

DH is simply not playing a lot because Engelland is suddenly playing like a God, and DH got paired with Grossmann for a few games... In reality DH would still do well as a 2nd pairing D.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it's a close comp.
I disagree that Dougie passes & shoots better than JBo.
I do agree that JBo is much better in his own end, but the offense is closer than you think ATM. I'd agree that Dougie has a better offensive potential though.

No it's not a close comparison. One is a offensive dman and the other is a defensive dman. Pretty black and white really. Jbo is lucky if he cracks 25pts in a season. Whereas Dougie has 50, even 60pt upside. Jbo has a muffin of a shot from the blueline, he usually just tries to throw it on net using a low wrister. Dougie can outright blast the puck, not quite as hard as Dion, but a little better than Wideman. Their skating and passing ability is the only thing that is similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad