Rumor: Kypreos: Lots of interest in Dougie Hamilton; not being shopped

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
can some flame fan explain why he's playing 3rd pairing mins?

Poor coaching, and lack of depth has led to mismanaged pairings. Wideman is consistently on the 1st pairing. So far this year Hamilton has been paired with Grossman (...now out of the league he's so bad), and Jokipakka - who has been so bad, he could be down in the AHL soon.

Right now, he's getting paired with Kulak, who while he has been strong in the offensive, is a disaster in his own zone (...which is fair, he's young and has almost no NHL experience).

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
It's been explained numerous times across a few threads. GG has Brodie, Gio and Hamilton all on different pairings presumably to spread out the talent. Hamilton is also not a big penalty killer.

Now of those three, who do you think receives the least minutes?

Aren't Gio and Brodie LHD? And isn't 5-7 minutes usually the gap between top paring and bottom paring defencemen on most teams?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Aren't Gio and Brodie LHD? And isn't 5-7 minutes usually the gap between top paring and bottom paring defencemen on most teams?

Well, Brodie's supposed to be in the right where he's better, but yes he's playing lhd.

That's still completely missing the point. He wants all 3 of our best d to carry a different pairing.

Brodie and Gio double Dougiies pk time. Wideman plays with Gio even strength, Engelland with Brodie, and Hamilton gets the spare parts, hence the lower ice time for him.

I guess it's difficult to understand since it's a ****ing stupid way to do it. So I get the questions.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
A good defenseman fills our needs. He isn't poor in his own end. He has been our best dman to start the season despite coach usage, which we have a coach who has no idea what he's doing.

Soft, poor defensively, etc, all might have been true in Boston but Dougie is a very good defenseman for us and whatever his value, he would be much important to us. Why trade him for, say, as legend wants Pacioretty? Then we have two good defensemen and a bunch of bottom pairing, instead of three good defensemen.

When we made the playoffs on the back of our offense everyone said that was a horrible way, and now that we have a good, young defenseman, we should trade him for offends because he's not being played correctly??

I've seen the majority of the games he has played for the Flames. My conclusion of him is that he's a big, decent skating defenceman with a nice offensive skillset and good offensive instincts. From what I've seen, he remains well below average in his own end, and I haven't seen that much improvement in that area even from his early days in Boston.

Again, he's the type of player that can still be very valuable in certain contexts. Barring significant defensive improvement, he's not the kind of guy I'd want to be paying 5.5 million if I already had almost 7 million tied up in an aging Giordano. A genuinely good defensive defenseman with a much smaller price tag would be much more beneficial to a team with Calgary's makeup (Brodie and Giordano are already very good offensive defencemen, and Kylington is in the pipeline). If the Flames had an abundance of strong defensive defensemen, but a lack of good offensive defensemen, Hamilton would be much more valuable to them. As it stands, Calgary is as weak as any team in the league in their own zone, and would be better served with resources being devoted to a player who isn't somewhat one dimensional offensive defenseman.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Something around David Savard+ for Hamilton+? (pluses added on both sides to even out the salaries)

Maybe something bigger with Savard+Dubinsky+Bjorkstrand/1st for Hamilton+Monahan?

So the Flames give up the two best pieces just to get Bjorkstrand? Yeah no. You want Hamilton and Monahan? Wennberg must be in the conversation then. Granted we will take back some other cap dump to balance out the money, but yeah Wennberg must come back. So how about Johnson + Savard + Wennberg for Hamilton + Monahan + 1st round pick (Conditional)/Kylington?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
So the Flames give up the two best pieces just to get Bjorkstrand? Yeah no. You want Hamilton and Monahan? Wennberg must be in the conversation then. Granted we will take back some other cap dump to balance out the money, but yeah Wennberg must come back. So how about Johnson + Savard + Wennberg for Hamilton + Monahan + 1st round pick (Conditional)/Kylington?

I wouldn't do that. We would have no goalscorer come back for Monahan. Wennberg as good as he is does not show much finish. I'd actually take Johnson. Don't want Savard.

No way we are giving up our first this year either. And Kylington is playing lights out on Stockton. Would not give up on him til we see him in the bigs.

I still say Hamilton for Murray. And a cap dump I guess. But the second more pieces get thrown into a Hamilton trade the worse it seems for one team or another. Just do a one for one.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Dougie Hamilton for Evander Kane straight up. Comparable cap hit, Calgary gets their scoring winger they need and the remaining four year contract of DH gets cut in half by Kanes two year contract.

They both have Sketcy value right now, could benefit both teams

Buffalo is not adding, neither team is. This is just a change of scenery trade that gets both players closer to home.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
Dougie Hamilton for Evander Kane straight up. Comparable cap hit, Calgary gets their scoring winger they need and the remaining four year contract of DH gets cut in half by Kanes two year contract.

Buffalo is not adding, neither team is. This is just a change of scenery trade that gets both players closer to home.

I'm not sure I speak for all Flames fans, but I have zero interest in Evander Kane.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Because Glen Gulutzan apparently has no idea how to set defensive pairings. He's forcing Brodie to the side of the ice he's less comfortable with and split up the Flames' best defensive pairing since forever.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

No interest in Kane, you can keep your problem child.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Nobody wants Evander Kane you get laughed at for bringing up a trade for Evander Kane for Hamilton.

He's not much of a scoring winger and he hurts your team more then he helps it. So no your not getting a 23 year old defenseman with good offense and potential for a idiot team wrecker like Kane.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Let me know if I am getting too synical, but to be this just screams of Calgary desperately wanting to get rid of Hamilton but not being able to find any takers.

They make him available, and when nobody bites they try to spin it like they wanting to keep him around.

I like a few things about Hamilton. He has a good pass. Good reach on the offensive blueline. Ds get exposed on bad teams, and can do much better on good teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton ended up in like Pittsburgh and played well.

But the problem is his contract. At that level he would like be the 3rd highest paid players for NYR and highest paid D. On most teams he is top 3-5 and 1-2 on D. Very few have cap space. All teams have internal politics, there is only so much money to go around. In a locker-room, everyone recognize that everyone has the right to get paid, but all players are also aware that if they start to try to break the bank, the team cannot become a good contender. Some modesty is required. I am not surprised that nobody is interested in him. If you have cap space to get him, which very few does, doing so causes a WTF reaction in the locker-room. Many would think, this means that we have no money for me when my contract is up. Players are very aware of those type of things.

He has been a 3rd pairing D for Calgary for a reason. Sure there is potential, but he is -- already -- paid for fulfilling that potential and probably then some. And when you look around the league, teams got to be very aware of the cap hit for a player like him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is Vegas bound...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Let me know if I am getting too synical, but to be this just screams of Calgary desperately wanting to get rid of Hamilton but not being able to find any takers.

They make him available, and when nobody bites they try to spin it like they wanting to keep him around.

I like a few things about Hamilton. He has a good pass. Good reach on the offensive blueline. Ds get exposed on bad teams, and can do much better on good teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton ended up in like Pittsburgh and played well.

But the problem is his contract. At that level he would like be the 3rd highest paid players for NYR and highest paid D. On most teams he is top 3-5 and 1-2 on D. Very few have cap space. All teams have internal politics, there is only so much money to go around. In a locker-room, everyone recognize that everyone has the right to get paid, but all players are also aware that if they start to try to break the bank, the team cannot become a good contender. Some modesty is required. I am not surprised that nobody is interested in him. If you have cap space to get him, which very few does, doing so causes a WTF reaction in the locker-room. Many would think, this means that we have no money for me when my contract is up. Players are very aware of those type of things.

He has been a 3rd pairing D for Calgary for a reason. Sure there is potential, but he is -- already -- paid for fulfilling that potential and probably then some. And when you look around the league, teams got to be very aware of the cap hit for a player like him.

Be careful dude, if you keep reaching like that you will dislocate your shoulder

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

You're getting too cynical

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Something around David Savard+ for Hamilton+? (pluses added on both sides to even out the salaries)

Maybe something bigger with Savard+Dubinsky+Bjorkstrand/1st for Hamilton+Monahan?

Werent you the dude asking for monahan and 6oa for 3rd oa ?:laugh: PLD + wennberg or bye

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How about something around...

TO CAL: Del Zotto, Morin

TO PHI: Hamilton

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If he's not being shopped why are teams interested in him and why is his name always out there when it comes to trade rumours?

Everyone in the league is also interested in McDavid and Edmonton isn't shopping him, maybe we should make a thread (and start spreading rumors) about him too?

I hate it when teams do this, MB did it with PK too. They ask the media to spread rumors for them so GM's start calling them.

what happens is a reporter looks at a teams needs... its surplus... sees a player having issues with a coach... struggling... sees how the cap is...

then the reporter puts things in their article that wont cost them credibility.

saying colin mcdavid is desired around the league would get a reporter fired... but saying pk subban might be shopped sells papers because the coach is talking about pk publically.

hamilton has not been a top pair guy for calgary and has often been demoted to 3rd pair... its easy to suggest he might not be in the teams good gracies now. its an easy rumor to create that makes you look smart

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

coach is hoping some personal pride kicks in and he starts putting out a more consistent effort. icetime is really the only tool a coach has to coach a 5.5 mill player.

hamiltons talent allows him to have moments of brilliance. the casual fan will see the highlights and say the coach doesnt know what hes doing.

sadly if you give icetime to a guy who doesnt bring effort it sends a horrible message to the rest of the team. other guys become unwilling to battle. alot of them arent as talented as hamilton.

hamilton at 50% is still able to produce but the team suffers.

history has been full of guys with tons of talent that dont put out a winning effort and as a result end up on 3rd and 4th lines

but theres always a chance these players can change

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
On HNIC tonight, Nick Kyrpeos said there is a lot of interest around the NHL in Dougie Hamilton. He said Calgary isn't shopping him but there are teams looking for defensive help. Said he felt if Calgary is to trade him, they would want him to be playing better first to increase his value.

Yeah then there's the risk that he continues to play worse and stays on that bottom pairing and they are then stuck getting even less value.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Friedman in his 30 thoughts said, That Detroit would be the perfect fit for Dougie Hamilton 6'6 RHD exactly what we could use on the backend. Hopefully Holland is at least kicking tires on him.

Detroit Red Wings- Dougie Hamilton.

Calgary Flames- Gustav Nyquist+Brendan Smith+Detroit's 2nd round pick. Might be too much from Detroit but that should help us fit him under the cap here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad