Rumor: Kypreos: Lots of interest in Dougie Hamilton; not being shopped

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit Red Wings- Dougie Hamilton+Freedie Hamilton.

Calgary Flames- Gustav Nyquist+Anthony Mantha+Brenden Smith+Detroit's conditional 3rd round pick (If Brendan Smith resigns)

Both me and a Flames fan agreed to this one, Not to bad of a deal here.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
You're right. A 23 year old, 6'5", good skating offensive defenseman with consecutive 40+ pt seasons and 10+ goals signed at less then 6 mill until age 29 isnt worth another top 4 d-man....

He has seriously regressed from the time he was in Boston. You happy with his play? He isn't playing like a top 4 Dman.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
believe what you want, but struggling for 5-10 games won't impact his value as much as the HF pundits like to believe.

It's been more than a 5-10 game struggle. Defensively, he has been a disaster since he got to Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's been more than a 5-10 game struggle. Defensively, he has been a disaster since he got to Calgary.
He was bad to start last year as he adjusted, after about the 15 game mark he wasn't a disaster at all. and this year he's been bad in fewer than half the games. Knowing of which you talk is an asset, I recommend trying it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Being a leafs fan I would like the idea of acquiring Hamilton. I know he is more offensively-inclined but having a young RHD in the Top 4 would help remove minutes from undeserving players like Hunwick, Polak, etc.

Im not going to pretend to know what the Flames needs are but my guess is forwards. With that said, does the trade have to involve NHL regulars or NHL ready prospects? Because the Leafs have a plethora of picks and with the Hamilton to CGY trade as framework the Leafs could afford to trade a 2nd or 2 along with a forward prospect or two to acquire Hamilton.

How would something like Kapanen+SJS/OTT 2nd+player with decent salary(not necessarily a cap dump but somebody getting paid more than an ELC) for Hamilton sound?

I wonder if there are any Burke pets left he'd like to have in Calgary? JVR? Gardiner?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Trade Brodie and Gio before Hamilton! The hate he gets around here is absolutely misplaced.

Brodie and Gio have rounded into form and are top teir NHL defencemen. Dougie has had a terrible start twice in a row. He's got tons of potential but so do Kulak, Anderssen and Kylington. We need a defensive D-man.

Dumba or Brodin from Minny would be my targets. Dougie could get taught up by Boudreau and finally realize his potential. Flames get a solid top 4 D to play behind Gio-Brodie.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'd rather wait a season or two when his value diminishes when he is valued as a good #3 rather than a #1.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie and Gio have rounded into form and are top teir NHL defencemen. Dougie has had a terrible start twice in a row. He's got tons of potential but so do Kulak, Anderssen and Kylington. We need a defensive D-man.

Dumba
or Brodin from Minny would be my targets. Dougie could get taught up by Boudreau and finally realize his potential. Flames get a solid top 4 D to play behind Gio-Brodie.

These two don't compute you know? Last year Dougie after the 15 games was better in all three zones than Dumba. This year Dumba has improved a lot defensively, but that's under Brodreau, so trading for Dumba is stupid. Brodin I'd definitely trade for. I'd love this lineup:

Giordano-Brodie
Jokipakka-Brodin
Kulak-Engelland (With the way these two have played, they'll be the best 3rd pairing in the league behind Edmundson-Parayko/Shattenkirk).

So two bros in the top 4.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I actually think W. Nylander for Hamilton could be a good deal. Obviously as Nylander continues to prove himself the price goes up and add is bigger on Calgarys side.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I actually think W. Nylander for Hamilton could be a good deal. Obviously as Nylander continues to prove himself the price goes up and add is bigger on Calgarys side.

For Calgary yes, Toronto haha no way.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Is this a 'no he isn't available' response from the GM or is this a 'we aren't shopping him around' Subban-like rumour. This feels a lot like the Subban talk.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
These two don't compute you know? Last year Dougie after the 15 games was better in all three zones than Dumba. This year Dumba has improved a lot defensively, but that's under Brodreau, so trading for Dumba is stupid. Brodin I'd definitely trade for. I'd love this lineup:

Giordano-Brodie
Jokipakka-Brodin
Kulak-Engelland (With the way these two have played, they'll be the best 3rd pairing in the league behind Edmundson-Parayko/Shattenkirk).

So two bros in the top 4.

Dumba is definitely improving defensively, but his forte is offense, not being a lockdown defender.

While it's true that the Wild might look to trading a Dman due to the emergence of Folin, the probable emergence of Reilly, and Olofsson down in the AHL , it is highly unlikely that they trade one for another Dman, especially one that is overpaid and underperforming. Wild need forwards, not defense, and especially not expensive ones that are draft elegible.

If they wanted another Dman they would've gone after Trouba.

To sum up, the odds of the Wild trading Brodin, Spurgeon, Dumba, or Scandella for another Dman, especially a draft eligible Dman whose cap hit is 5.75M, are slim and none. Simply not a need.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Dumba or Brodin from Minny would be my targets. Dougie could get taught up by Boudreau and finally realize his potential. Flames get a solid top 4 D to play behind Gio-Brodie.

WHAT on earth are you watching where Brodie and Gio have come to form? Both got abused by the rangers last game, and Brodie in particular was god awful against the stars. This is garbage- stop giving them a free pass

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh

Flames fans shut down Maatta packages but then mention Brodin? Brodin is marginally better than Maatta defensively and is an offensive black hole.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not for the Leafs.

They're not trading their bluechips - especially not for a guy like Hamilton whose had a fair share of struggles.

I think Leafs management would be much more inclined to move their 2017 1st than any of their big three young guys

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
WHAT on earth are you watching where Brodie and Gio have come to form? Both got abused by the rangers last game, and Brodie in particular was god awful against the stars. This is garbage- stop giving them a free pass

What are you talking about? Gio's been solid after the first 3 or 4. Brodie has been good for like 3 games after a tough start. Hamilton is a -10 or something in his last 3 or 4 games playing 3rd pairing minutes for the most part... Brodano has been on the ice for only a few goals recently while playing the toughest minutes on the team.

They were bad against the Rangers? Dougie and Kulak were on the ice for every goal against..

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agreed, Brodin is overrated. I'd honestly rather have Maatta out of the two.

Except Brodin handles top pairing defensive minutes... And Maata struggles on his own zone and is actually a downgrade defensively from Dougie. The last thing we need is another small offensive D.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Except Brodin handles top pairing defensive minutes... And Maata struggles on his own zone and is actually a downgrade defensively from Dougie. The last thing we need is another small offensive D.

Maatta's actually very good in the D-zone. He was at his best this season facing SJ, Anaheim and LA. Teams that cycle well.

His issue is handling speed off of the rush and playing in a system that requires alot of skating from its D-men.

He's also 6'2. Maatta ain't small.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

It's at this point your lack of knowledge about Maatta and his game ruins any credibility you may have on the subject.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
It's at this point your lack of knowledge about Maatta and his game ruins any credibility you may have on the subject.

That's my whole thing. If you don't want Maatta as the main piece, there are certainly credible reasons for that. But when your reasons are not credible or you in your next breath mention a worse young defensemen approvingly, methinks you're just falling victim to prevailing HF trends (that Maatta is basically Scuderi now). Popular HF opinions are fickle and usually just bit hyperbolic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Detroit Red Wings- Dougie Hamilton+Freedie Hamilton.

Calgary Flames- Gustav Nyquist+Anthony Mantha+Brenden Smith+Detroit's conditional 3rd round pick (If Brendan Smith resigns)

Both me and a Flames fan agreed to this one, Not to bad of a deal here.

Value makes sense on NHL 17; it doesn't make sense for Calgary.

Look at what young Dmen with upside cost, especially if they can play at a high level and are under 25. It's not 50 point wingers and a prospect that's nothing better than what we already have in the AHL. Jones got a potential 1C.

If Calgary moves Dougie for a forward, I'd look at someone like Duchene as centre piece.

This fan does not speak for the masses :laugh:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Something around David Savard+ for Hamilton+? (pluses added on both sides to even out the salaries)

Maybe something bigger with Savard+Dubinsky+Bjorkstrand/1st for Hamilton+Monahan?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Something around David Savard+ for Hamilton+? (pluses added on both sides to even out the salaries)

Maybe something bigger with Savard+Dubinsky+Bjorkstrand/1st for Hamilton+Monahan?

Be kinda dumb for us to trade a young, big offensive dman for an older, slightly smaller offensive dman.

And I want no part of Dubinsky. If this isn't the season he falls off a cliff, it's soon. That'd screw us at centre if we lose Backlund

I'd do Hamilton straight up for Murray or with us adding a small piece

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->