Kypreos calls out the league

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, they’re really “growing the game” in Florida, Carolina, and Arizona. “Speed and goals” sells the game... in Canada. AGAIN... he wasn’t talking about that (Goonery). Rivalries? There aren’t any anymore. I guess “intensity, chirping, animosity and rivalries” are bad for the game.
3 non traditional southern markets that barely make the playoffs ever and spend no where close to the cap and have their arenas located in the suburbs. 100% recipe for disaster. If your point is that goonery would sell the game better down in the States, I’d disagree completely. If anything, Americans probably think hockey is extremely violent based on the propaganda that ESPN spews out whenever a Todd Bertuzzi or Marty McSorely incident occurs. Trust me, the NHL is glad they don’t have to deal with a lot of these players anymore or the lawsuits would be much much worse.

The game is a lot cleaner today and more family oriented. You don’t get as many injuries, concussions, line brawls, fights, violence and lawsuits with today’s game. Guaranteed, the NHL is much happier today with the increased goals and record profits than all the junk from back in the dead puck era.

Reactions: aufheben

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Fans from non-traditional markets and European fans are the worst thing to ever happen to the game. That's great the league has grown but the actual game sucks. I understand the league trying to career to casuals with its watered down creampuff rules. It's a business. But it's been absolutely horrible for the game. The heart and soul is gone.

Reactions: cliffclaven

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Here go go

1) he is only partially right. The game needs more 'personalities' like reaves and subban. Entertainers. The league does not need more meatheads eith little skill and an abundance of douche.

2) I'll somewhat agree that the game needs a bit more passion some nights.

3) its nick f***ing kypreos. Was he ever relevant? His opinion on anything doesnt sway me much.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Reaves and Wilson have a combined 24 points on the year. Wilson is over a point-per-game. These aren't your daddy's knuckle dragging nobodies. Kypreos is right, the league needs more players that can inject some physicality in the games. Makes the product much more entertaining.
This. These feuds like Reaves-Wilson and Kesler-Johansen are fun. It makes you want to tune into those games even more.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
99pyU5Ga1kwkmgdExsEkP6mdPizGKkJ2scxN9RU63e2fbGr8JHcFJ5kBTh1aCe22oGMYgeDKqQr2b76qXjYegz4QmNQn4kGb9QWY6ZsEeh9nNrNEQPyFUrCnGtCCsYF3RF

Hockey wouldn't have the same "charm" if all it's dinosaurs went extinct.

It'd be better without that "charm" though.
The not-donosaurs are weak hockey players who would get destroyed by former greats.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He wasn’t even calling out the NHL, he just mentioned he’d like to see more players from his era that way. He says this on every show too and it’s not a big deal.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
99pyU5Ga1kwkmgdExsEkP6mdPizGKkJ2scxN9RU63e2fbGr8JHcFJ5kBTh1aCe22oGMYgeDKqQr2b76qXjYegz4QmNQn4kGb9QWY6ZsEeh9nNrNEQPyFUrCnGtCCsYF3RF

Hockey wouldn't have the same "charm" if all it's dinosaurs went extinct.

It'd be better without that "charm" though.
The not-donosaurs are weak hockey players who would get destroyed by former greats.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
He's not wrong. We all hate tom wilson but we all wish we had someone like him to get revenge. Imagine having a Reaves on your team who could rag doll wilson every time wilson does something dirty.

I wish the Pens kept Reaves and let him loose like LV does.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I agree that the league is definitely lacking intensity. Rivalries are nothing compared to even 10 years ago because the physicality is being removed from the game.

Just last night in the Flyers v Jackets game Giroux took a pass in his skates and Jones was cutting through the middle and had him completely lined up but because Giroux was looking at his feet as he kicked the puck up to his stick, Jones avoided the hit and tried to poke check. He got Giroux's feet and earned himself a tripping call. In the past Giroux would have possibly taken a pretty big hit, or maybe not because he's always aware and quick enough to know how to avoid hits like that but in today's NHL he felt no danger hunched over and looking down while cutting through he middle of the ice. The look on Jones' face after the call said it all. You could tell he was frustrated that he got penalized because of something he did to try to avoid a penalty. I say all of this as a Flyers fan no no bias here but it was frustrating to watch as a fan of the game.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
on hockey central today “ the league needs more reaves’ and Wilson’s. McLean said ‘where are you gonna find these players?’ “I don’t know, but I don’t see any competitive fire from night to night. All u hear on the bench is ‘nice stick’ not ‘finish your check’.

Nick needs to spend a few moments with all the players suffering affects from fighting and concussions.

StumbleBum7

Dec 7, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don’t understand why so many people get defensive over this guys comments. I believe it’s obvious he has some valid points. Yes goals and stuff are fun to see. But I also enjoy the physical side hockey once had. The passion and personalities of those physical players brought emotion and feeling into the game. It made me more passionate for my team and for the game when I could have someone to root against rather than hoping just to outscore a opponent in a math with no emototion and physical play. Fans used to pride themselves on how tough hockey players were. Missing teeth, broken bones and still playing. Where has that gone? It’s been watered down just like everything else in today’s modern PC world. It’s a crying shame that people refuse to admit the game could use more emotion.

I took my girlfriend to her first game 2 years ago and it was so bleh (Flyers vs caps) and we haven’t been back or plan to since. It’s just not worth it to us and the “new” game didn’t draw her in. She wondered where the hitting and excitement was she always heard about

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We've likely got another 15 maybe 20 years of this type of league. Eventually most teams are going to be smaller teams that skate fast with skill. Some team is going to get lucky and manage to grab two or three guys in the draft who have size and skill and play an edgy game, and then build around that identity.

They will bully the teams in the playoffs and suddenly, we'll hear about how the game today you need toughness to win and it will slowly start shifting back over to size again.

StumbleBum7

Dec 7, 2009
Pennsylvania
We've likely got another 15 maybe 20 years of this type of league. Eventually most teams are going to be smaller teams that skate fast with skill. Some team is going to get lucky and manage to grab two or three guys in the draft who have size and skill and play an edgy game, and then build around that identity.

They will bully the teams in the playoffs and suddenly, we'll hear about how the game today you need toughness to win and it will slowly start shifting back over to size again.

Well if that’s the case the nhl won’t get my money for another 15 years I guess. For me as a fan they are ruining the game I loved. I hope it does change though but Im not expecting much sadly

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think he just wants more players who can defend themselves and their teammates.

NHL will always have cheapshots and the league won't ever punish enough

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He says he wants more big, open ice hits.

What I think he actually wants is more clutching and grabbing like the game used to be. Now the game has become wide open with tons of goals and guys like Kypreos have an issue with that.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I know that most of you won't agree with this but Kypreos is exactly right. First, he wasn't talking about goons or more fights, he was talking about guys that create moments like the Reaves/Wilson hit parade.

These guys bring an energy to the game and lets face it, as much talent as there is in the NHL a big hit, an on-ice feud and/or a little gamemanship always gets everyone tuning in and talking. It's good to have personality but more importantly he's talking about guys who play hard. Wilson is one of those guys and even if his scoring numbers were more modest, every single team in the league would love to have him on their side.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I know that most of you won't agree with this but Kypreos is exactly right. First, he wasn't talking about goons or more fights, he was talking about guys that create moments like the Reaves/Wilson hit parade.

These guys bring an energy to the game and lets face it, as much talent as there is in the NHL a big hit, an on-ice feud and/or a little gamemanship always gets everyone tuning in and talking. It's good to have personality but more importantly he's talking about guys who play hard. Wilson is one of those guys and even if his scoring numbers were more modest, every single team in the league would love to have him on their side.
Exactly this.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I also don’t get the people saying nick is/was a “useless plug”.. yeah his nhl career wasn’t spectacular but he put up 62 goals in 64 games and followed the next year with 90 points in 46 games in the OHL. I’m assuming someone would have to have reasonable hockey skills to average nearly 2 ppg.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Everyone loves the rough stuff, the big hits, and yep the fights. Kids, families, young people, everyone. If you are at the game or in a bar watching the game it is pretty easy to see this.

I was embarrassed last night for the Leafs when no one went after Kronwall after he rocked Matthews (cleanly). I don't want to go backwards to the 70's or 80's but there should be a middle ground before the game becomes unrecognizable.

Reactions: Mez

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I know on HFboard you are supposed to go to the extreme to prove your point and all...but im gonna take the middle ground. Hitting and some fighting is an exiting part of the game. Offensive skill is exciting and good for the game. We need both. The physical side brings emotion while the skill side brings entertainment. What makes the Battle of Alberta so entertaining? there is skill and lots of hitting and fighting.

Reactions: Neuf

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
He's an idiot. The quality of the game is so much better now than it's been in at least two decades.

We don't need more talentless plugs whose only talent is their ability to fake a concussion baseline test.

Soooo they do have a talent, or they don't?

:sarcasm:

Reactions: The Macho Man

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Everyone loves the rough stuff, the big hits, and yep the fights. Kids, families, young people, everyone. If you are at the game or in a bar watching the game it is pretty easy to see this.

I was embarrassed last night for the Leafs when no one went after Kronwall after he rocked Matthews (cleanly). I don't want to go backwards to the 70's or 80's but there should be a middle ground before the game becomes unrecognizable.

Consequently, during the Leafs-Sabres game, Marner kept coming up the LW and cutting across the middle to pass it back to Hyman. And the Sabres dman kept trying to poke the puck away. Like, hit the damn guy before he can even make a play!!

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad