Kypreos calls out the league

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Nick needs to spend a few moments with all the players suffering affects from fighting and concussions.

He spends every day with himself though. Have you seen him try to form cohesive sentences on TV?

Painful to watch.

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
I love how Kypreos starts EVERY sentence with “listen...” as if he is going to say something interesting that we all need to hear. And what comes out is usually just nothing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
spoken like someone who took blows to the head for a living. this is the best the league has been in a while because it's centered around speed and skill

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Sign me up for more Iginla vs Lecavalier type fights, or Ovie/Malkin trading hits and firing eachother up. Don't care for the rest of it, if you need to fight and cross the line to stay in the NHL find a different job or ride the bus.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Its also because he is drastically less physical than he was in his younger days

I wonder if he made that decision after this fight? The camera didn't show it, but Thornton's face was a bloody mess afterwards. I believe Lindros broke his orbital bone if I'm not mistaken. Even past his prime, The Big E could f*** you up if you weren't too careful.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
This. Injuries aside, he was THE prototypical hockey player. Size, speed, hands, toughness...he had it all!

he sold me at the memorial cup in Hamilton. 1990 I believe.

the most dominant hockey player I've ever witnessed.

then in 1991 in Hamilton at the Canada Cup. He destroyed Ulf Samuelsson and became my favourite player. They beat the US in the finals. Lindros as the only non NHL Player on the ice was the best player on the ice.

And the kids these days only know him as a goon, lol.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
he sold me at the memorial cup in Hamilton. 1990 I believe.

the most dominant hockey player I've ever witnessed.

then in 1991 in Hamilton at the Canada Cup. He destroyed Ulf Samuelsson and became my favourite player. They beat the US in the finals. Lindros as the only non NHL Player on the ice was the best player on the ice.

And the kids these days only know him as a goon, lol.

I would like this post, but my liking privileges were suspended last week.

LIKE!

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
This. Injuries aside, he was THE prototypical hockey player. Size, speed, hands, toughness...he had it all!

He would be absolutely unstoppable in the current era, better than McDavid. And for the record, if McDavid played back in the day, I could just imagine Scott Steven's licking his chops to line him up the same he did to Lindros.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Physicality and overall grit is low because even on the cleanest hits, someone jumps on a player thinking they are doing right. The instigator rule let’s pests and cheap shot artist run rapid without any fear of the opposing team seeking their own brand of vengeance, resulting usually in “staged fighting” which is shameful, Or other dirty hits.

We are in a “No Hit League” era. I feel most players don’t want to finish their checks, or play that extra type of intensity, simply because everyone is so sensitive to ANY kind of hit the results in a player getting rocked. And they are usually clean as they come, but with the speed of the game and just how bad the hits appear to be, the players themselves can barely handle being hit without whining about it. A lot of the hitting is over analyzed and dramatized.

Reactions: cliffclaven

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Physicality and overall grit is low because even on the cleanest hits, someone jumps on a player thinking they are doing right. The instigator rule let’s pests and cheap shot artist run rapid without any fear of the opposing team seeking their own brand of vengeance, resulting usually in “staged fighting” which is shameful, Or other dirty hits.

We are in a “No Hit League” era. I feel most players don’t want to finish their checks, or play that extra type of intensity, simply because everyone is so sensitive to ANY kind of hit the results in a player getting rocked. And they are usually clean as they come, but with the speed of the game and just how bad the hits appear to be, the players themselves can barely handle being hit without whining about it. A lot of the hitting is over analyzed and dramatized.
You are correct.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
He would be absolutely unstoppable in the current era, better than McDavid. And for the record, if McDavid played back in the day, I could just imagine Scott Steven's licking his chops to line him up the same he did to Lindros.

Agreed. On the other hand, a guy like Stevens would be receive lengthly suspensions from his hits in today's era...especially the Lindros one.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Not even a Devils fan in the slightest, but how do you not mention them during this era?

It's a joke that makes fun posts that claim the late 90's were a great era for hockey but only cite the DRW/AVS rivalry and ignore 99% of games that were played in that era

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Let’s not forget though. Lindros was also a product of that era and type of environment. When he hit you, he did it in a way that made it seem like he wanted to kill you. He fished out plenty of controversial hits and would go that extra mile to make you pay if you crossed him wrong.

Stevens wasn’t the only one. Lindros had a terrible habit of skating with his head down and that was exposed multiple times. Not saying it was right, but for the time being....that’s the style and mentality players had. Very dog eat dog. Multiple players exposed him and capitalized on his lack of.

But that’s how it was back then. There was much more responsibility on the player getting hit than the hitter. If you skated with your head down, faced the boards suddenly, decide to take liberties against a player, it was almost agreed on that you better watch yourself. The problem is that turned into some ugly behavior like the McSorely and Bertuzzi incident, that put a black mark on how the players handle things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad