Kypreos calls out the league

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
I agree with him. Only a handful of Leafs' games this year really got me amped up. The one is San Jose was probably the best so far.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Agreed. On the other hand, a guy like Stevens would be receive lengthly suspensions from his hits in today's era...especially the Lindros one.
I don’t know. It all depends. He was rarely penalized for using his elbow, and never was a jumper or a blind side hitter overall. The problem is the head contact, but Stevens didn’t go for your head, he simply caught you with your head down. Not saying it’s any better, but the maliciousness of the act is different back then compared today.

A majority of Stevens hits were hard AND clean. His most controversial was the Jariya hit, where as the Lindros hit was a product of its time.

The problem now a days is a hit can no longer be clean AND brutal, because when it is there is almost always an overreaction by the players and overall fan bases. People forget that it’s entirely possible.

Reactions: cliffclaven

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He would be absolutely unstoppable in the current era, better than McDavid. And for the record, if McDavid played back in the day, I could just imagine Scott Steven's licking his chops to line him up the same he did to Lindros.

Likewise Stevens playing today would be a pylon and liability with the amount of penalties he'd take to compensate that slow skating

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I don’t know. It all depends. He was rarely penalized for using his elbow, and never was a jumper or a blind side hitter overall. The problem is the head contact, but Stevens didn’t go for your head, he simply caught you with your head down. Not saying it’s any better, but the maliciousness of the act is different back then compared today.

A majority of Stevens hits were hard AND clean. His most controversial was the Jariya hit, where as the Lindros hit was a product of its time.

The problem now a days is a hit can no longer be clean AND brutal, because when it is there is almost always an overreaction by the players and overall fan bases. People forget that it’s entirely possible.
I always thought Stevens was a headhunter. But sadly it’s gone from that, to what we have now. No one finishes checks anymore. It all stick checks. Any big hit in open ice is pretty much a penalty. I fear it will be worse in the playoffs. Teams won’t play physical because they’re worried about bs penalties. I hope I’m wrong.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Let’s not forget though. Lindros was also a product of that era and type of environment. When he hit you, he did it in a way that made it seem like he wanted to kill you. He fished out plenty of controversial hits and would go that extra mile to make you pay if you crossed him wrong.

Stevens wasn’t the only one. Lindros had a terrible habit of skating with his head down and that was exposed multiple times. Not saying it was right, but for the time being....that’s the style and mentality players had. Very dog eat dog. Multiple players exposed him and capitalized on his lack of.

But that’s how it was back then. There was much more responsibility on the player getting hit than the hitter. If you skated with your head down, faced the boards suddenly, decide to take liberties against a player, it was almost agreed on that you better watch yourself. The problem is that turned into some ugly behavior like the McSorely and Bertuzzi incident, that put a black mark on how the players handle things.

Lindros' problem was he was always bigger than everyone, so he could do that. If you hit him, you were going flying instead. Once he got to the NHL, that was no longer the case. And as a fan of the Soo Greyhounds, I both hate him and thank him. Without his standing them up, there probably would not have been any 1993 Memorial Cup victory.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I always thought Stevens was a headhunter. But sadly it’s gone from that, to what we have now. No one finishes checks anymore. It all stick checks. Any big hit in open ice is pretty much a penalty. I fear it will be worse in the playoffs. Teams won’t play physical because they’re worried about bs penalties. I hope I’m wrong.
I think his hits on Lindros and Kariya tend to overshadow the fact that he was overall a clean and well respected hitter during his playing days. But like you said, it was a different era where players embraced physical play and understood its do’s and do nots. Stevens was hardly a head hunter, he just pissed a lot of people off because he caught people at their most vulnerable....but I don’t ever recall there being an uproar about it. I saw Lindros so way more dirty stunts than him through out their careers, and he usually got away with it because of the times, as well as being a big, strong, mean SOB who could hold his own with nearly anyone.

Any and nearly every hit is now subject to scrutiny, usually by hyper sensitive teammates who don’t like seeing one of their own get thrashed with a nice hit.....it’s almost like they forget the game they are playing. The competitiveness isn’t at the same level it once was. Playing the body is really no longer a strategy, and if you do, your going to get some attention and crying simply because your a physical player. I’ve seen Players like Phaneuf get jumped constantly after laying some good clean hard checks. Players today seem like they can’t handle it.

Last edited:

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Oh, I agree. But even the Kariya one (which was hard but clean) would be the type of hit that would most likely incite a bench clearing brawl, stop the game for a lengthy period of time, force the refs to call the War room in Toronto for multiple camera angles on the hit etc. His game just wouldn't translate well in today's skill and speed era. Stevens was more of a predatory type of player than he was a cheap shot artist. Mark Messier was more of a dirty player than Stevens ever was, but you wouldn't know it due to hockey pundits praising him and his leadership abilities.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Lindros' problem was he was always bigger than everyone, so he could do that. If you hit him, you were going flying instead. Once he got to the NHL, that was no longer the case. And as a fan of the Soo Greyhounds, I both hate him and thank him. Without his standing them up, there probably would not have been any 1993 Memorial Cup victory.
I agree. He was always that big, and imposing player and it allowed him to be lazy. I wouldn’t say his play got him in the messes he was in, but he did play like he was bigger and stronger than everyone(he usually was). But in the end he was the victim of his own style.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I can't believe what Kypreos provides as insight or as a member of a discussion panel has monetary value.
Then again, the fact his nonsense helps everyone else look like a genius probably helps his cause.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Oh, I agree. But even the Kariya one (which was hard but clean) would be the type of hit that would most likely incite a bench clearing brawl, stop the game for a lengthy period of time, force the refs to call the War room in Toronto for multiple camera angles on the hit etc. Stevens was more of a predatory type of player than he was a cheap shot artist. Mark Messier was more of a dirty player than Stevens ever was, but you wouldn't know it due to hockey pundits praising him and his leadership abilities.
I agree, the Kariya hit would have gained a lot of attention in today’s game, and for all the wrong reasons.

Kind of ironic isn’t it? The arguably “greatest leader” and among one of the best players of all time elbowed, slashed, and made plenty of dangerous hits.....many see that as him doing “whatever it takes to win.” With Stevens, he’s a dirty POS who wouldn’t last in this league(not your words. Just an overall statement I’ve seen countless times).

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Are you guys that dense. Its not about goons. Its about players that play with passion.
Some players play with “passion” by being physical and having that intensity. The problem is the boundaries that are set are constantly shifting as to what is/isn’t acceptable. It’s so hard to even be physical anymore due to overzealous players and officials deamonizing nearly everything that is physical.

I mean you want passion? Take a look at some old and recent hockey rivalries. I mean I hadn’t seen as much “passion” in a stanley cup finals series since 2011 with the Bruins and Canucks. That series had nearly everything and it left you on the edge of your seat.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I agree, the Kariya hit would have gained a lot of attention in today’s game, and for all the wrong reasons.

Kind of ironic isn’t it? The arguably “greatest leader” and among one of the best players of all time elbowed, slashed, and made plenty of dangerous hits.....many see that as him doing “whatever it takes to win.” With Stevens, he’s a dirty POS who wouldn’t last in this league(not your words. Just an overall statement I’ve seen countless times).

Hahaha, couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, Messier was a great player. But like you said, he would do whatever it would take to win, even if it meant throwing elbows liberally at other player's heads without a care in the world. Total POS.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I honestly miss the physical play and fights. We can’t go back in time though. Nobody’s taking off the shields.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Hahaha, couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, Messier was a great player. But like you said, he would do whatever it would take to win, even if it meant throwing elbows liberally at other player's heads without a care in the world. Total POS.
It never overshadowed his playing though, I think that’s where people like to forgive and almost forget. Like you said, he backed up his play regardless, but he intentionally did things knowing he was protected and wouldn’t really suffer any consequences. Playing on a team with the likes of Semenko, McSorely, among others will do that. Very similar to Clarke.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Kariya hit was terrible blindside hit(super late hit). I'm glad hits like that are gone from the game or are trying to be taken off.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not sure if anyone brought this up, yesterday the league allowed a deflected goal against Vancouver were the opponents stick was clearly above the cross bar. Pretty disgusting, thats 2 against the Canucks so far where they allowed a goal off a skate with clear kicking motion and a deflected goal into our own net where the stick is Cleary above the cross bar at point of contact on the puck.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don’t understand why so many people get defensive over this guys comments. I believe it’s obvious he has some valid points. Yes goals and stuff are fun to see. But I also enjoy the physical side hockey once had. The passion and personalities of those physical players brought emotion and feeling into the game. It made me more passionate for my team and for the game when I could have someone to root against rather than hoping just to outscore a opponent in a math with no emototion and physical play. Fans used to pride themselves on how tough hockey players were. Missing teeth, broken bones and still playing. Where has that gone? It’s been watered down just like everything else in today’s modern PC world. It’s a crying shame that people refuse to admit the game could use more emotion.

I took my girlfriend to her first game 2 years ago and it was so bleh (Flyers vs caps) and we haven’t been back or plan to since. It’s just not worth it to us and the “new” game didn’t draw her in. She wondered where the hitting and excitement was she always heard about

Be patient, it will change.

Tom Wilson getting paid the big bucks is the best thing to happen to physical hockey in a decade. Players coming up from junior can look to him and see a possible path to success.

Every GM, when asked about Tom Wilson, say 'We are all looking for a guy like him'. Every team wants that guy, it's just a matter of finding and developing them. Physical play was a huge part of Stanley Cup winning Capitals last year.

I know exactly what you regarding your game experience. A lot of these games are so vanilla, it's almost a chore to get through them.

Reactions: Sam Spade

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I agree with him. How many drive by attempted poke checks do you see instead of finishing your hit these days??
To take it the next step, how many players do you see brace themselves for a hit or take one correctly? Half the injuries in the league are caused bc players don't expect the other guy to actually finish their checks...

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
I agree with him. How many drive by attempted poke checks do you see instead of finishing your hit these days??

dudes are scared of suspensions/fines. EVERY hit is now scrutinized. Did he leave his feet? Was it a head shot? Was his elbow tucked? Was the hit late? It goes on and on. League, IMO, is inching closer and closer to having no contact.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
not sure if anyone brought this up, yesterday the league allowed a deflected goal against Vancouver were the opponents stick was clearly above the cross bar. Pretty disgusting, thats 2 against the Canucks so far where they allowed a goal off a skate with clear kicking motion and a deflected goal into our own net where the stick is Cleary above the cross bar at point of contact on the puck.
Has nothing to do with this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->