Kypreos calls out the league

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Objective fact. **** we changed the rules because the game was so boring. Average shots per game were like 25 a game. Slow, boring players dominated because waterskiing was a viable defensive strategy.
Then I guess you loved the first season after the lockout? Where they had 15+ power plays a game? That year was total, complete garbage.

Reactions: Dave Karp

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Then I guess you loved the first season after the lockout? Where they had 15+ power plays a game? That year was total, complete garbage.
Takes awhile to find the right way of going about it. And you're trying to officiate against guys who played their entire lives a certain way.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Slow, boring players dominated because waterskiing was a viable defensive strategy.
Water skiing still is a viable defensive strategy.
Yes there is.

The league has made it very difficult to have success with that strategy .... Anything that even looks bad is a penalty

Naw.

Best and most exciting player in the league. Refs are allowing open season on him. It's pretty funny:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
He wasn’t talking about goons.
Didn't you get the memo though?
Players who finish their checks are all goons.

Dale Hunter, Pat Verbeek, Brendan Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, Theo Fleury, Paul Coffey, Mark Messier, Al MacInnis, Jeremy Roenick, Dino Ciccarelli, Denis Savard, Alex Kovalev, Doug Gilmour, Bernie Nicholls, Joe Thornton, Vincent Damphousse, Luc Robitaille, Jaromir Jagr, Dave Andreychuk, Glenn Anderson, Rod Brind'Amour, Mike Gartner, Mats Sundin, Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque, Jarome Iginla, Mark Recchi.

Any idea what all these guys have in common?
They'd all be considered goons today.

All of these guys have over 1000 PIM since the 1980/81 season.
They also all have over 1000 points.

Yup, don't want any of these guys on any of the teams today. Can you imagine how pathetic a guy like Paul Coffey would be in today's NHL?
How about that pathetic bum Jaromir Jagr. I'd bet he couldn't even skate in this league in his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The last three years, the Cup winner has found a way to balance skill, size, speed, and snarl. It is difficult, but it's not impossible to assemble a team that has all four elements. Those teams generally win when it counts.

Brawn when it's not paired with skill and skating is pointless, but there is absolutely a place in the game for size and snarl when you stockpile skilled players who also bring that intensity. It will become apparent again in April. Many will forget that lesson by July.

The hockey community is guilty of cyclical remembrance and forgetfulness on this point.

Last edited:

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
The last three years, the Cup winner has found a way to balance skill, size, speed, and snarl. It is difficult, but it's not impossible to assemble a team that has all four elements. Those teams generally win when it counts.

Brawn when it's not paired will skill and skating is pointless, but there is absolutely a place in the game for size and snarl when you stockpile skilled players who also bring that intensity. It will become apparent again in April. Many will forget that lesson by July.

The hockey community is guilty of cyclical remembrance and forgetfulness on this point.
Disagree. If anything, the playoffs will be worse unless the refs swallow their whistles. No teams will want to play a heavy physical game for fear of a penalty for being a big mean meanie. I predict a devils trap type sc winner this year.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Reaves and Wilson have a combined 24 points on the year. Wilson is over a point-per-game. These aren't your daddy's knuckle dragging nobodies. Kypreos is right, the league needs more players that can inject some physicality in the games. Makes the product much more entertaining.

Like.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I would say literally everything beats late 90s and early 2000s hockey. Those were the worst years of watching hockey for me.
This year certainly does not. I can count the number of “good games” on both hands. One was buf/tor and Calgary/Edmonton.vegas/caps would’ve been good, except the refs stepped in.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Reaves and Wilson have a combined 24 points on the year. Wilson is over a point-per-game. These aren't your daddy's knuckle dragging nobodies. Kypreos is right, the league needs more players that can inject some physicality in the games. Makes the product much more entertaining.
Wilson was not that good before he got on Oveckin and Backstroms line, so lets ease up thinking hes anything near a .5ppg player let alone a ppg

Reactions: Cellee

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I would say literally everything beats late 90s and early 2000s hockey. Those were the worst years of watching hockey for me.

Earlys 90s was dope tho... I watched the 1991 NHL All Star Game and 1992 too on youtube... people saying player today are wayy better, It was such a blast seeing all my fav player growing up, seems like they had easier time catching pass with wooden stick then composite.

Reactions: The Macho Man

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Didn't you get the memo though?
Players who finish their checks are all goons.

Dale Hunter, Pat Verbeek, Brendan Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, Theo Fleury, Paul Coffey, Mark Messier, Al MacInnis, Jeremy Roenick, Dino Ciccarelli, Denis Savard, Alex Kovalev, Doug Gilmour, Bernie Nicholls, Joe Thornton, Vincent Damphousse, Luc Robitaille, Jaromir Jagr, Dave Andreychuk, Glenn Anderson, Rod Brind'Amour, Mike Gartner, Mats Sundin, Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque, Jarome Iginla, Mark Recchi.

Any idea what all these guys have in common?
They'd all be considered goons today.

All of these guys have over 1000 PIM since the 1980/81 season.
They also all have over 1000 points.

Yup, don't want any of these guys on any of the teams today. Can you imagine how pathetic a guy like Paul Coffey would be in today's NHL?
How about that pathetic bum Jaromir Jagr. I'd bet he couldn't even skate in this league in his prime.

Jaromir Jagr literally just played in this league last year and literally nobody ever called him a goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->