Rumor: Kyle Clifford to the Leafs?

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
(mod)
On the topic of Clifford, he's something the leafs are missing for sure. And is becoming more evident every game. Don't know Clifford is the answer, but they definitely need to improve the size of their bottom 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why would you assume that I only watch two Kings games a year? I have the package that allows me to watch any NHL game that's on. I've probably watched ~10-12 Kings games this year.

Sorry, saying he sucks was off-base. What I meant was that I don't want him on the Leafs and they need to get someone who can play in the top 9.

Clifford is gritty and works hard on the Kings 4th line. He's not a very talented player, nor his he very fast. The Leafs need a gritty player who can play more than 4th line minutes. They need someone who can impact the game and put up some points.

You base your opinions of a group of people on the opinion I have of one player? That says more about you than it does me.

The bold is where we differ, Clifford can play in the top 9 and can put up points. He is just below a point every 2 games and in a more offensive role with a more offensive team that could change.

Sounds like you are more looking for a guy who can play top 6 but is better suited for 3rd line which is not what he is.

Reactions: smitty10

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Admittedly, I've been a very big critic of Clifford and I've wanted him traded for a long time; however, he has been outstanding this year and he is one of the only players playing with heart out there.

Because of that, he has endeared himself to the ownership, coaching staff, and locker room. I would be surprised if they dealt him because they've labeled him as important for weathering the stormy seas of the rebuild/retooling they are working on.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Ideally would like to see a Brown + mid draft pick or conditional 3rd and Clifford swap but I know Kings fans wouldn't like that. Im a huge fan of Clifford and his contributions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Admittedly, I've been a very big critic of Clifford and I've wanted him traded for a long time; however, he has been outstanding this year and he is one of the only players playing with heart out there.

Because of that, he has endeared himself to the ownership, coaching staff, and locker room. I would be surprised if they dealt him because they've labeled him as important for weathering the stormy seas of the rebuild/retooling they are working on.

That's all well and good, but what does it really mean in the plan going forward? Is he so invaluable that having him for only one more year is important? What if the rebuild/re-tool takes longer than that? Are they actually going to re-sign him, and to what? Considering that he already makes $1.8M and contracts are ballooning across the board, I imagine that he might warrant a 3 x $2.5M contract. Is that really worth it for him? What if he just goes back to his regular form that made fans want him traded, which is a strong possibility, and LA is suddenly stuck with that contract and a (once) physical guy on the wrong side of 30? Basically, it comes down to this: has he impressed you so much in just the last 50 games that you would give him a multi-year extension with a raise? If not, then you should consider trading him, especially when his value is highest, like it is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
That's all well and good, but what does it really mean in the plan going forward? Is he so invaluable that having him for only one more year is important? What if the rebuild/re-tool takes longer than that? Are they actually going to re-sign him, and to what? Considering that he already makes $1.8M and contracts are ballooning across the board, I imagine that he might warrant a 3 x $2.5M contract. Is that really worth it for him? What if he just goes back to his regular form that made fans want him traded, which is a strong possibility, and LA is suddenly stuck with that contract and a (once) physical guy on the wrong side of 30? Basically, it comes down to this: has he impressed you so much in just the last 50 games that you would give him a multi-year extension with a raise? If not, then you should consider trading him, especially when his value is highest, like it is now.

I agree with you on all points, which is why I am a huge critic of Clifford and what he brings to the table versus what we are going to get out of him in the future, but it is clear that the organization prizes him and won't let him go easily. If I was in charge he would have been gone, but with Blake I think he stays. It's tough to gauge when we don't know any of these people personally or the true behind the scenes. I am hoping for him to be dealt for a decent price this deadline though.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
There was a time when Kyle was waiver fodder.

He is having one of his better seasons but will get a raise after next season. LA should accept a nice return if that is being offered.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Are you serious or clueless? Bracco has 15 goals in the AHL this year in 52 games and 6 last year in 50 games. Most of his points are assists and he's on a very good Marlies squad. There is not guarantee he sniffs the NHL next year either. He's a good prospect not A+ like you may be thinking.
"Most of his points are assists" may be the worst argument I've seen in my 10+ years on this site. And no, the Marlies haven't been very good. Also, big lol to omitting Braccos point totals after you clearly looked it up. Talk about cherry picking stats, yikes.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If Clifford is so highly valued can the Leafs not work out a scenario where they just borrow him for a playoff run and trade him back?

Zaitsev
Lindholm
Borgman

for

Phaneuf
Clifford

then send Clifford back in the summer for future considerations

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
There was a time when Kyle was waiver fodder.

He is having one of his better seasons but will get a raise after next season. LA should accept a nice return if that is being offered.
Why?Kings have plenty of cap space and wont be contending for at lease a few years.Kings will have the young guys coming in and taking roster spots.Clifford's attitude and heart is needed in the room.Kings should actually strip Doughtys letter off and give it to Clifford.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
"Most of his points are assists" may be the worst argument I've seen in my 10+ years on this site. And no, the Marlies haven't been very good. Also, big lol to omitting Braccos point totals after you clearly looked it up. Talk about cherry picking stats, yikes.
Most of Gretzky's, Lemieux's and Booby Orr's points were assists too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad