Rumor: Kyle Clifford to the Leafs?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
There's literally zero chance of Clifford going to Toronto unless there was 50% retention. We don't have the cap space to spend $1.6m on a fourth liner next season. Our fourth line will cost at most $2m total next year to fit everything in so that is just a non-starter. Unless cap and term is heading to LA as well there's no way it works.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Cause hes a solid bottom six guy him and Wagner are clicking right now giving us a bottom 6 punch that we've lacked for some time. Just wish our top six would play with his heart and get their heads out of their holes.

That's not a reason to keep a guy, IMO. Muzzin was a solid top-4 having his best season ever and he got traded. Like Clifford, he'll be a UFA after next season. I recognize that he was traded because he was worth a lot more and would be worth less a year from now, and if Clifford were worth a 1st, he'd absolutely be traded, as well, but that's an argument for keeping Clifford because he's just not worth much to other teams, not because he's worth so much to the Kings. I can understand holding onto Clifford if the return isn't worth it. It's the thought that they'd hold onto him solely because they like him so much that doesn't make much sense. At the very least, he should be available for an overpayment.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
There's literally zero chance of Clifford going to Toronto unless there was 50% retention. We don't have the cap space to spend $1.6m on a fourth liner next season. Our fourth line will cost at most $2m total next year to fit everything in so that is just a non-starter. Unless cap and term is heading to LA as well there's no way it works.

Just dump him back on us in the offseason, happy to let you borrow him for some meaningful games in the mean time.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Every available player is going to be traded to the Leafs. Duh.

Stop being so anti leaf. No one on the trade bait board outside ferland and Simmonds and Jensen, have been linked to us...Clifford makes sense for us to inquire about. Has multiple years on a cheap AAV. He's a power guy we lack. When these things come out you have to ask what does that team need. Leafs need a PFW and or a RHD and it's a known fact.

To add to your smart comment. Have you heard us tied to Stone, Panarin, Bobo, burakovsky, Johansson etc etc. No...RHD or PFW gets mentioned then we are being informed that the Leafs are interested. What's wrong with that

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Any other rumor about any other team...hockey talk. Rumor about the Leafs...bull**** posts like this one....

Sickening isn't it. PFW may be available and they said Clifford when we got Muzzin was of interest. Why wouldn't he be. PFW with cheap AAV and term but of course why would we be interested.

The rumor never said he is going to us, or such and such.

Anytime a PFW or RHD ends up in the rumor mill, we are tied to it..and as it should be..we need both of those.

Guy is reaching EVERY guy is rumored going to us LoL

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Clifford has been very good this year, by far the best he's ever played in his NHL career. Blake would be dumb to atleast not see if he could sell high on him.

Well there's a fine line right. Asking way too much and keeping him on a last place team that clearly needs a rebuild as their core is aging. I do agree Blake needs to try to sell when he's high, but can't be Mike Gillis blind who hung onto Lu, traded Corey for junk, then traded Lu to late for junk. That rumor way back was leafs offered Naz, Jake and a 1st wow did Mike blow that

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Cause hes a solid bottom six guy him and Wagner are clicking right now giving us a bottom 6 punch that we've lacked for some time. Just wish our top six would play with his heart and get their heads out of their holes.

Our top 6 are elite. Marner's has huge heart, JT has stood up and Hyman for him more than once. Marleau has a lion heart as well and Matthew's is torching it yet again. Its the role guys that need a boost. Lindholm ducks, goat hasn't been too bad, Brown great D but horrible offense. Nylander and Kadri don't even want to pass it to him.

We need a bit of muscle for the playoffs..muzzin helps, Clifford would be awesome.

Even Adam Macquaid..that guy can throw huge hits and punches and he's not as dirty as Gudas.

I'm sure the leafs will get 1 of the 2 needs RHD or PFW we shall see what one.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well there's a fine line right. Asking way too much and keeping him on a last place team that clearly needs a rebuild as their core is aging. I do agree Blake needs to try to sell when he's high, but can't be Mike Gillis blind who hung onto Lu, traded Corey for junk, then traded Lu to late for junk. That rumor way back was leafs offered Naz, Jake and a 1st wow did Mike blow that

Bo Horvat is junk? :laugh: oh my you're a special one

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I wonder if something around Connor Brown + prospect(timishov)? For a retained Clifford makes sense?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely laughable.

Get a clue, or don’t make inane proposals like this. You are completely out of the loop.
Are you serious or clueless? Bracco has 15 goals in the AHL this year in 52 games and 6 last year in 50 games. Most of his points are assists and he's on a very good Marlies squad. There is not guarantee he sniffs the NHL next year either. He's a good prospect not A+ like you may be thinking.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Are you serious or clueless? Bracco has 15 goals in the AHL this year in 52 games and 6 last year in 50 games. Most of his points are assists and he's on a very good Marlies squad. There is not guarantee he sniffs the NHL next year either. He's a good prospect not A+ like you may be thinking.
...most of his points are assists, because he is a playmaker not a goal scorer, and a very good playmaker at that.

Reactions: SensFactor

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure Sportsnet reads HF boards. Next they'll say the Leafs are looking to get Ritchie.

Ritchie and Clifford are both guys that have been discussed by (some) of us as decent additions to the bottom 6 while getting rid of Lindholm, or trading Brown.

If they didn't get him in the Muzzin trade I doubt they get him now.

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
For what it’s worth both the Mayor and Bernstein have said the chance Clifford would be move was 1% and they said that was being generous. Those two are as in touch with the Kings as anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad