Rumor: Kyle Clifford to the Leafs?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hockey Central today's Podcast

Hockey Central @ Noon - Sportsnet.ca

Around 21:30 into the show

Kypreos:

"I'd be surprised to see a major change. (Not giving up for an expensive rental like Simmons or Ferland) (Instead) I don't know. People are talking about Clifford out of L.A.."

(Colby Armstrong confirms)

"Yeah I'd like that."

Seems logical to me in terms of not giving up a core piece for his services.

Some serious smoke here.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Hockey Central today's Podcast

Hockey Central @ Noon - Sportsnet.ca

Around 21:30 into the show

Kypreos:

"I'd be surprised to see a major change. (Not giving up for an expensive rental like Simmons or Ferland) (Instead) I don't know. People are talking about Clifford out of L.A.."

(Colby Armstrong confirms)

"Yeah I'd like that."

Seems logical to me in terms of not giving up a core piece for his services.

Some serious smoke here.
Every available player is going to be traded to the Leafs. Duh.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
What's his cap hit? Good physical 4th liner but Leafs can't afford to pay bottom 6 guys much with the contracts of Matthews, Marner and Nylander spiking along with possible extensions to Kapanen and or AJ .

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
will be interested to see if Clifford is moved. His skill set and low cap hit should make him a hot commodity.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I'm not sure there's really anything to this, when the Leafs had Matt Martin the guy couldn't even get in the lineup. Clifford and Martin are pretty much carbon copies as players so its pretty clear Clifford would be in the press box on the Leafs more often than not.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
I NEED this to happen...a Leaf poster whom I will not name was adamant that he was a cap dump and that it was laughable when I called him a useful bottom 6 energy player...I still can’t believe I had a debate over Kyle Effing Clifford...but this would make me laugh

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Every available player is going to be traded to the Leafs. Duh.

You must be referencing all the Stone, duchene, panarin, bobrovsky, zuccarello, dzingel, Johansson and huberdeau rumors involving the leafs.

Seriously man, this is a complaint from years past, but certainly not this year. The only players that have been rumored to the leafs this year are depth players, with the exception of Simmonds (maybe?).

Reactions: Jmo89 and OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dont see it. Any deal would have to have the Kings retain 50% of Clifford's contract because it wont be financially doable then.

I cant see the Kings retaining 50% on a fan favorite, unless they're blown away by an offer.

Fit wise though, I think it would make a lot of sense

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It kind of baffles me that this is a player that LA won't trade. Quick, Carter, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort and Pearson are all players that are or were made available for the right price, but Clifford, with 50 goals over 9 seasons, is the one that they want to hold on to. I get that he has a good attitude, but Muzzin, Pearson and the remaining players from their Cup runs have good attitudes, as well. The only way that it makes much sense to me is if this is a tactic to get a team to overpay for him. If Blake ends up getting, say, a 2nd for him, I'll stand up and applaud his ingenious negotiating skills, but I'm skeptical because we haven't seen him fleece anyone yet.

Last edited:

KOPITARRULEZ11

Apr 2, 2012
Minnesota
It kind of baffles me that this is a player that LA won't trade. Quick, Carter, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort and Pearson are all players that are or were made available for the right price, but Clifford, with 50 goals over 9 seasons, is the one that they want to hold on to. I get that he has a good attitude, but Muzzin, Pearson and the remaining players from their Cup runs have good attitudes, as well. The only way that it makes much sense to me is if this is a tactic to get a team to overpay for him.
Cause hes a solid bottom six guy him and Wagner are clicking right now giving us a bottom 6 punch that we've lacked for some time. Just wish our top six would play with his heart and get their heads out of their holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad