Friedman: Kyle’s Summer of “Kawhi”

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He's a good GM.

There I said it. No, I'm not being sarcastic or joking either. He gets way too much crap because the team couldn't close, but he fixed their "crap defense", got out of the Marleau contract he had NOTHING to do with (funny enough that Lou gets no crap for this one for reasons), and kept their core together while supplementing their lost depth (Hyman being replaced by Bunting for example).
Giving up the 1st that drafted Seth Jarvis to get rid of Marleau isnt really ideal I mean we had to dump his cap and that was the price but damn...
so wouldnt call that getting out of. paid more than fairly to get out

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Unless he's one of the players that also want out.
I wouldn;t mind him traded to a contender. would help my dynasty team

Not that it needed to be reported, but it's already been reported he's fine being here as long as the Jets are going for it.

When he hits FA in two years we might do a rebuild, lots of contracts up around then.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He essentially swapped his starter for Carolina's backup in order to save 700k.
Yeah but Dubas needed Andersen to be the fall guy for getting bounced in the playoffs that year. He sure wasn’t going to take ANY blame for the playoffs, never does.

Dubas has blamed Babcock, Kadri, Marner, and Andersen for everything in respective years. He picks one guy and gets the Toronto media to rile the fan base up to deflect from his failures.

They are trying a different approach this year “everything is fine, Dubas is great”. And you see that reflected here.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't know that Nylander is attractive enough to the Ducks to have them move Gibson. He smoothes a lot of roughness out of games while their defense is rebuilt and guys like Zegras continue to develop.
What planet are Duck fans on with the value you guys put on Gibson? It’s not 2018 anymore.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Giving up the 1st that drafted Seth Jarvis to get rid of Marleau isnt really ideal I mean we had to dump his cap and that was the price but damn...
so wouldnt call that getting out of. paid more than fairly to get out
And again…

Dubas didn’t sign that contract. Of course it wasn’t ideal, but Marleau had a full nmc and wanted back in San Jose. Wasn’t like he could dump that contract to any rebuilding team. The alternative was losing kapanen and Johanson. Not ideal either.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Not that it needed to be reported, but it's already been reported he's fine being here as long as the Jets are going for it.

When he hits FA in two years we might do a rebuild, lots of contracts up around then.

tru thats good. I didnt mean to wish anything bad on WPG just in a selfish way if he gets moved to a serious contender could make my team so much better
but if he stays which looks like he will I hope WPG kill it this year. win every game with 30 or more saves. be perfect

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
And again…

Dubas didn’t sign that contract. Of course it wasn’t ideal, but Marleau had a full nmc and wanted back in San Jose. Wasn’t like he could dump that contract to any rebuilding team. The alternative was losing kapanen and Johanson. Not ideal either.
Yeah Im well aware he didnt sign Marleau that was Lou, I liked the contract at the time too just not that 3rd year I thought it was going to seriously get in the way not sure what Lou was thinking because it was clear as day that it was 1 year too long.

Kinda funny how things worked. in the end we moved Kap and Johnsson
Johnsson traded for Joey Anderson (yet to make the NHL beyond a few cups of coffee)
Kap traded for 15th(Amirov) + Evan Rodrigues + Hallander
Amirov ended up getting a brain tumor(hope he recovers), Evan Rodrigues was released or I dunno let go and has had a solid season and Hallander is back in Pittsburgh

so in the end losing both Kapanen and Johnsson was alot more ideal than keeping over Marleau who cost us Seth Jarvis

Leafs lost in the 1st that year again so nothing changed

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Patrick Kane, and to a lesser extent JT Miller fit the bill (loosely) for a Kawhi type situation.

Kane would require significant retention (probably full 50%) and TO needs to ship salary out as well.

Obviously Kane would need to approve the move too given his NMC.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars have a slightly used former Art Ross winner and #2 in Hart and Lindsay voting to offer .

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't see who Kawhi supposed to be in this instance. Blockbuster trades happen when a star wants out, not because you want the star. I don't see any Norris defensemen or Vezina goalies demanding a trade to facilitate a 'Kawhi' trade.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
is it a trade with a team like Vancouver where you take a guy like Nylander and maybe another forward and you swap them for one of JT Miller or Conor Garland and a guy like Nils Hoglander I don't want to see Nylander traded but if it did happen I wouldn't be against Garland I wanted him when he was in Arizona.

is it something where you trade say Kerfoot and Nylander for Garland and then try to put the savings on Kerfoot towards a David Perron or Bryan Rust in free agency?
1) Highly, highly unlikely Van trades both Garland and Hoglander, regardless of what is coming back.

2) JR has stated their primary goal this summer is to shed cap. Taking on Kerfoot and Nylander for a great contract in Garland does the exact opposite of that.

Much more likely it's a 2 part trade. Toronto goes and gets futures and prospects for Nylander, then trades those to Van in a package for Miller or Garland or whoever.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
1) Highly, highly unlikely Van trades both Garland and Hoglander, regardless of what is coming back.

2) JR has stated their primary goal this summer is to shed cap. Taking on Kerfoot and Nylander for a great contract in Garland does the exact opposite of that.

Much more likely it's a 2 part trade. Toronto goes and gets futures and prospects for Nylander, then trades those to Van in a package for Miller or Garland or whoever.

I don't see Dubas trading Nylander for futures, because even though he wasn't as adamant about not tarading the core this time, he also said it doesn't make sense to make moves that make you worse.

Nylander for futures makes them worse

he also said he sees the core as being bigger than the top 5 guys so it is possible that none of them get moved and it's a Brodie or Kerfoot, or Muzzin etc instead we don't know how big he thinks the core is we just know he thinks it's more than Matthews, Marner, Nylander Tavares and Rielly.

But back to the topic trading Nylandeer for Futures makes them worse.

but trading Nylander for Garland and then signing Perron or Rust in Free agency

that might make them better that's why I'm wondering if that's one of the things he's thinking

it's not exactly a Kawhi move.

I also wonder if it's a deal where they acquire a guy Blackwood and Severson from NJ

or Blackwood and Miles Wood to improve their bottom 6 they certinaly need a better quality bottom 6

again not exactly a Kawhi move but it would be a significant shakeup.

I don't know what the big move ior moves are but I do think some significant changes are coming because Dubas has 1 year left on his deal, I'm surprised his job wasn't on the line this year, it literally is next year because this is the last year of his deal.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah but Dubas needed Andersen to be the fall guy for getting bounced in the playoffs that year. He sure wasn’t going to take ANY blame for the playoffs, never does.

Dubas has blamed Babcock, Kadri, Marner, and Andersen for everything in respective years. He picks one guy and gets the Toronto media to rile the fan base up to deflect from his failures.

They are trying a different approach this year “everything is fine, Dubas is great”. And you see that reflected here.
Andersen quit on the team with an undisclosed undiagnosed injury the most robust and in depth sport science dept. in the league couldn’t pin point.. because it was between the ears

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If it's really their summer of Kawhi, they gotta go in on J.T. Miller.
Canucks aren't taking Nylander alone though. It would have to be Nylander+Robertson or something.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He's a good GM.

There I said it. No, I'm not being sarcastic or joking either. He gets way too much crap because the team couldn't close, but he fixed their "crap defense", got out of the Marleau contract he had NOTHING to do with (funny enough that Lou gets no crap for this one for reasons), and kept their core together while supplementing their lost depth (Hyman being replaced by Bunting for example).
Woah, someone that can think for themselves? Unimaginable on here.

Reactions: The90

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't see Dubas trading Nylander for futures, because even though he wasn't as adamant about not tarading the core this time, he also said it doesn't make sense to make moves that make you worse.

Nylander for futures makes them worse

he also said he sees the core as being bigger than the top 5 guys so it is possible that none of them get moved and it's a Brodie or Kerfoot, or Muzzin etc instead we don't know how big he thinks the core is we just know he thinks it's more than Matthews, Marner, Nylander Tavares and Rielly.

But back to the topic trading Nylandeer for Futures makes them worse.

but trading Nylander for Garland and then signing Perron or Rust in Free agency

that might make them better that's why I'm wondering if that's one of the things he's thinking

it's not exactly a Kawhi move.

I also wonder if it's a deal where they acquire a guy Blackwood and Severson from NJ

or Blackwood and Miles Wood to improve their bottom 6 they certinaly need a better quality bottom 6

again not exactly a Kawhi move but it would be a significant shakeup.

I don't know what the big move ior moves are but I do think some significant changes are coming because Dubas has 1 year left on his deal, I'm surprised his job wasn't on the line this year, it literally is next year because this is the last year of his deal.
Really not that complicated. I'm not saying Toronto trade Nylander for futures and stand pat, obviously that does not make sense for Toronto. I'm saying Van will need futures Toronto doesn't have in a Miller or Garland trade, Nylander probably isn't of interest due to cap issues.

So instead of:
Nylander for Miller/Garland

Toronto would go:
Nylander for Futures
Then
Futures for Miller/Garland

They will only have the futures for the few days or whatever it takes to make the Vancouver deal.

All that being said. I imagine any team interested in Nylander would also be interested in Garland, perhaps even moreso given his age and salary. So maybe it makes more sense for Van to just cut out TO entirely and deal Garland to LA or something for the futures they need instead.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Dubas just doesn’t seem like that type of risk taking GM that makes such a bold move.
More likely he shuffles the bottom six again and then goes bargain hunting for another cheap starting goalie.
He just seems attached to the players he has and will either win or lose with that core group. It’s probably his last chance next year but then again many said that after the Montreal debacle so who knows?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They are at like 74M already and need to sign Giordano, Mikheyev, Engvall, Sandin, Liljegren and a goalie. They're basically up against the cap so unless Dubas gets Kariya+Selanne for peanuts then no, this isn't the summer for ''Kawhi'' (whoever that is).

Now theorically they could probably move some salary like Nylander, Muzzin, Brodie, but that would weaken the club anyway and leave a hole. Plus, they'll have to give up a 1st or a top prospect to trade Mrazek away.

They're in an awful spot.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas just doesn’t seem like that type of risk taking GM that makes such a bold move.
More likely he shuffles the bottom six again and then goes bargain hunting for another cheap starting goalie.
He just seems attached to the players he has and will either win or lose with that core group. It’s probably his last chance next year but then again many said that after the Montreal debacle so who knows?

yes we did but this is actually his last year under contract so this has to be it, this is his last chance that's why I think a big move isn coming because he has to do something to shake the roster up

They are at like 74M already and need to sign Giordano, Mikheyev, Engvall, Sandin, Liljegren and a goalie. They're basically up against the cap so unless Dubas gets Kariya+Selanne for peanuts then no, this isn't the summer for ''Kawhi'' (whoever that is).

Now theorically they could probably move some salary like Nylander, Muzzin, Brodie, but that would weaken the club anyway and leave a hole. Plus, they'll have to give up a 1st or a top prospect to trade Mrazek away.

They're in an awful spot.

They aren't in an awful spot but OK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad