Friedman: Kyle’s Summer of “Kawhi”

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That’s wrong, he was brutal vs Montreal
wow, one series where one of the better shut down centers was able to shut him down (like he did to everyone last playoffs). Had JT not been injured that matchup would have been a lot harder to maintain.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's an exciting idea but doesn't seem realistic. The most realistic example I can think of would be trading Willy for picks or a goalie or some combo there of, shifting JT to wing and getting Malkin on a one year deal. It's a fun idea but it's not something I see coming. Kerfoot and Mrazek cost enough for a name with some creative accounting but what are you throwing in? Sandin? Could happen but it would need a ot of things to click right to work for us and would have some risk.

I know a lot of us are already trying to see what next year will look like but I think Dubas has to react after a couple chips fall. First sort out the Campbell situation one way or another and second, find out what Gio is going to cost. After we know those two outcomes we can really start to make sense of our situation but until then I feel like there are too many unknowns to make good guesses.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Overall I think he is solid, he has just made some rookie mistakes that hurt.

Marner and Matthews signed full flown UFA deals when they were RFAs. These contracts have handcuffed the leafs in a sense. There have been a few more badish moves but these two deals have impacted their future the most.

Other than that you can't really complain too too much. Tavares was pricey but that's normal as he was a UFA. The team blend also doesn't seem right with some size and physicality missing.

Anywho he is probably there for the long run.b
You don’t have to buy something just because it’s there. Tavares killed their cap because Dubas couldn’t keep it in his pants, and then Matthews and Marner pissed all over its grave.

Extend Dubas!

Reactions: DickSmehlik

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
You don’t have to buy something just because it’s there. Tavares killed their cap because Dubas couldn’t keep it in his pants, and then Matthews and Marner pissed all over its grave.

Extend Dubas!
It is really rare for a player like Tavares to hit free agency. His signing hurts now but only because of the Marner and Matthews deal.

Having three huge contracts like that limit everything else. They are built like Edmonton and this ripples down throughout the lineup.

I don't blame him for Tavares, other teams likely offered more in fact.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
That’s wrong, he was brutal vs Montreal
It's pretty easy to figure out why Nylander and Tavares play well in the playoffs. The entire defensive systems of the other teams are centered around shutting down Matthews/Marner. It's not a coincidence that Matthews isn't all that noticeable in the playoffs. He usually has an elite shutdown center shadowing him every time he's on the ice. Nylander getting freed up still doesn't stop him from pulling up short in a puck race or avoiding contact completely, even after being repeatedly being called out by his coach for lack of compete level.

• Haha
Reactions: Nylanderthal

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think Florida is a good template: they began with an elite three players and built around them with depth. While far better than Dadonov and Hoffman, the Nylander-Tavares addition to 16-34-44 is similar in as far as devoting too much of their resources to a few players. I think they’d be better served doing as Zito did and allocating across more players like Zito did with Reino, Verhaege, Gudas and Duclair instead of adding a superstar contract like Tavares. (NB: Bunting is a good start)
Why would a team thats choked just as much and is currently choking as we speak be a good template?

The Leafs don’t really need to change anything IMO. But that will look bad, so they’ll probably make a big move just cause. Guessing Nylander is gone.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why would a team thats choked just as much and is currently choking as we speak be a good template?

The Leafs don’t really need to change anything IMO. But that will look bad, so they’ll probably make a big move just cause. Guessing Nylander is gone.
Because Florida's problem (after winning a round!) is that the rookie coach hired in the middle of the season due to Q's stupidity can't respond.

Concentrated teams struggle especially without discounts: the Tampa model could have worked but each of Toronto's stars did not take discounts compared to Stamkos, Kucherov etc.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
In order to make a Kawhi trade, you need a Demar to trade. Who would that be for the Leafs? Don't tell me Tavares or Nylander lol, those guys aren't to the Leafs what Demar was to the Raps... it would have to be Matthews/Marner

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
There are people in this thread who will tell you their eyes >> analytics and they also think Dubas is a bad GM… really puts things in perspective.

In order to make a Kawhi trade, you need a Demar to trade. Who would that be for the Leafs? Don't tell me Tavares or Nylander lol, those guys aren't to the Leafs what Demar was to the Raps... it would have to be Matthews/Marner
Derozan, thankfully, is one of the most overrated players of this generation.. can’t believe he got Kawhi.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Marner and Mitch are higher in the league pecking order than DD was tho.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's an exciting idea but doesn't seem realistic. The most realistic example I can think of would be trading Willy for picks or a goalie or some combo there of, shifting JT to wing and getting Malkin on a one year deal. It's a fun idea but it's not something I see coming. Kerfoot and Mrazek cost enough for a name with some creative accounting but what are you throwing in? Sandin? Could happen but it would need a ot of things to click right to work for us and would have some risk.

I know a lot of us are already trying to see what next year will look like but I think Dubas has to react after a couple chips fall. First sort out the Campbell situation one way or another and second, find out what Gio is going to cost. After we know those two outcomes we can really start to make sense of our situation but until then I feel like there are too many unknowns to make good guesses.
Malkin ain't going to a market like Toronto. Anxious quiet Russian boy

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
A deal like this would be to shake up the core and change the culture, so their status relative to the league is irrelevant.
Nylander is as much a piece of the core as the other two are, so the goal is still accomplished if that’s their target

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
there isn't a Kawhi level player on the market but I do expect big changes because Dubas only has a year left on his deal this is a BIG sunner for him and the franchise

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00