Friedman: Kyle’s Summer of “Kawhi”

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Leafs need more grind and toughness to their lineup. Something like this could really give them more snarl well meeting some of the Canucks needs:

To Toronto: Myers (8% retained), Lockwood, Palmu, 2024 5th

To Vancouver: Rielly, 2023 3rd

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dubas didn't "fix" anything.

He moved the final year of Marleau so he could afford 10+ million dollar contracts for three players, still has little to no depth after their stars, the roster has the same weaknesses (defense and goaltending), and has 5 first round exits in a row, ie the team hasn't proven any improvement.

I was hoping for some kind of improvement. My old man was heartbroken watching the final two games, and since I had no vested interest in other series, I was cheering for the Leafs this time. This might not have been a final five minutes collapse for 4 goals, but a loss is still a loss here.

Take it from someone that has seen what a roster can do with competent management, and coaching, when very little else is changed, get Dubas out of there and back to finishing in the lower middle of his fantasy hockey pool.

Reactions: CartographerNo611

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Miller at 50% is exactly what that team needs to light a fire under their ass. That guy does not take losing well, and will absolutely say what is need if guys aren't pulling their weight.

I don't think Nylander is what Van is looking for, given their stated goal of losing cap, but that doesn't mean there isn't a deal to be made.

Trade Nylander for picks and prospects, then trade those in a package for Miller at 50% and everyone wins. Leafs get a mean-ass 99pt 2C, can push Tavares to wing where he should be, and run the rest of it back for next year.

They also save what, 4m cap going from Nylander to 2.75 Miller?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Problem with Dubas is that his contract negotiations are awful, which is pretty much the principle part of the job unfortunately. He's great in every other aspect.
He actually doesn't do the contract negotiations. That's Laurence Gilman's job.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Leafs need more grind and toughness to their lineup. Something like this could really give them more snarl well meeting some of the Canucks needs:

To Toronto: Myers (8% retained), Lockwood, Palmu, 2024 5th

To Vancouver: Rielly, 2023 3rd

Great we trade our best dman by far coming off a 68 point season signed for 8 years at 7.5 for a 4dman, a 23 year old ahl winger, a skilled but 5'6 24 year old winger which is what we have planty of, and a 5th.

The fact toronto adds a third is even more laughable.

Vancouver would need significant adds that fit and match what we need to make this enticing. Rielly is a mainstay on our team, and I doubt we would ever move him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I do agree but you're exaggerating a bit. Mikheyev scored 2, and Blackwell and Kampf both got 1 each in game 3. Tampa's depth delivered in game 4. Then no goals from any depth players from both teams in games 5 and 6.

So, really the only difference in the series from the bottom 6 was just in game 7 with Nick Paul scoring 2
(which was his first ever playoff goals). Plus, in game 7 I can nitpick a bunch of things about the leafs from the bottom to top.
The only difference? That’s a huge difference!!!
Tampa’s bottom six scored two game 7 goals while Toronto’s was MIA for the last four games of the series. Nick Paul was a difference maker even with Tampa missing a top player like Point.

Reactions: HofT

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
I bet you they could trade Tavares’s as the leafs have informed me he is signed to a good contract

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Troy Terry - 1.450
John Gibson - 6.400
Anthony Stolarz - 0.950

Mitch Marner - 10.903
Petr Mrazek - 3.800
Jack Campbell - UFA (rights to)
2022 1st - (24th overall?)

Notes:
Toronto would save ~9.500 (I'm assuming the Talbot contract for Campbell - 3.666)
Terry is the same age as Marner
I think Toronto still adds, but futures should be able to get it done IMO

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Troy Terry - 1.450
John Gibson - 6.400
Anthony Stolarz - 0.950

Mitch Marner - 10.903
Petr Mrazek - 3.800

Notes:
Toronto would save ~9.500 (I'm assuming the Talbot contract for Campbell - 3.666)

You think Toronto still adds to trading a 1st and Mitch Marner?

Is this a joke?

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I'm so confused why leafs media is comparing this to the raptors. The raptors were constantly making it out of the first round but were always losing to Lebron James. This leaf core has yet to beat anyone...

Reactions: CartographerNo611

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You think Toronto still adds to trading a 1st and Mitch Marner?

Is this a joke?
Marner and Campbell for Terry and Gibson, and a first to take on Mrazek for Stolarz.

Marner's a great player, but that cap hit being cleared is a huge boon for Toronto, and if Terry has another 30+ goal season, Marner's absence will be mooted. Getting Gibson will be a huge, huge win for Toronto too, making up for the gap between Marner and (assuming close to peak) Terry.

Mrazek's contract is a black hole, however.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Troy Terry - 1.450
John Gibson - 6.400
Anthony Stolarz - 0.950

Mitch Marner - 10.903
Petr Mrazek - 3.800

Notes:
Hard no.

Marner and Matthews aren't going anywhere.

Marner and Campbell for Terry and Gibson, and a first to take on Mrazek for Stolarz.

Marner's a great player, but that cap hit being cleared is a huge boon for Toronto, and if Terry has another 30+ goal season, Marner's absence will be mooted. Getting Gibson will be a huge, huge win for Toronto too, making up for the gap between Marner and (assuming close to peak) Terry.

Mrazek's contract is a black hole, however.

You think 30 goals replaces Mitch Marner? Uhhhh what?

I'd love to nab Gibson and stop worrying about our goaltending position. But you're absolutely nuts if you think Marner is going the other way.

• Haha
Reactions: KevinRedkey

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Ironically, if the Leafs run it back and fail yet again, there’s a good chance they will wind up on the opposite end of a “Kawhi” trade. With just two years remaining on his contract next summer, a team actually on the cusp of winning the Cup with a lesser 1C signed long-term (NYR/Zibby, VGK/Eichel) would be the perfect destination for Matthews.

Reactions: HofT

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hard no.

Marner and Matthews aren't going anywhere.

You think 30 goals replaces Mitch Marner? Uhhhh what?

I'd love to nab Gibson and stop worrying about our goaltending position. But you're absolutely nuts if you think Marner is going the other way.

You're delusional. lol

You also offer nothing in terms of proposals to fix anything. You're a typical fan that simply overvalues your own players just for the sake of it, and would turn down any offer that isn't bending the other team over. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You're delusional. lol

You also offer nothing in terms of proposals to fix anything. You're a typical fan that simply overvalues your own players just for the sake of it, and would turn down any offer that isn't bending the other team over. lol
Nah sorry bro. Your evaluation simply being shit doesn't make me delusional.

Nylander for Gibson is a much better base, happy?

"You're a typical main boarder that thinks he knows how to fix the Leafs, but in reality watched them a total of three times last year and doesn't know squat about the team nor the accurate value of their players. lol"

Reactions: Breakers

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1