Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Fair point. I personally wouldn’t have thought a goalie would be worth so much in a trade. My gut impulse is more aligned with what many oilers fans are saying.

I’m choosing to use Friedman’s sources as a barometer rather than my own instincts.

Remrmber in a UFA market goalies are wanting 4+ yrs. some teams might not want to commit that many yrs. Thrn goalies eho might dign 1-2 yrs aren’t necessarily full time starters.

How many other goalies coukd now be offered for high picks who also have 2+3 yrs of term.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Remrmber in a UFA market goalies are wanting 4+ yrs. some teams might not want to commit that many yrs. Thrn goalies eho might dign 1-2 yrs aren’t necessarily full time starters.

How many other goalies could now be offered for high picks who also have 2+3 yrs of term.
I also personally feel that Kuemper is not only the best available but one of the best, period. If I could have any goaltender in the world at 4.5aav for two years only (no chance to re-sign in this hypothetical), there wouldn't be more than one or two names ahead of Kuemper on my list.

Still, the idea that Friedman is saying he's going to get a 1st and another good asset is surprising. Just like I wouldn't ever sign a goalie to a big money contract, I would also personally never trade top assets for one. There are usually a couple of pretty darn good goalies available for reasonable acquisition/cap costs.

I guess I'm saying I understand why Kuemper has really great trade value for a goaltender, I personally struggle with understanding why that would be the case with any goaltender, however. But I don't set the market. The GMs do. And the market for Kuemper is reportedly extremely hot, and there my be hated rivals in on the bidding. So I'm optimistic about the return, even if I don't really understand it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think he’s going to Alberta, but not the Oilers.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Flames did something crazy here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t usually nitpick spelling mistakes, but yikes, you weren’t even close on this one.
That was the point of his joke. He was using humor. Costco is a bulk-purchase, discount grocery store chain in North America that offers cheap bulk pricing on a dizzying array of products sold in overwhelming bulk sizes. It's a membership service, with a bit of a reputation for maybe being "low-class" or something like that. Sort of how Wal-Mart has a somewhat negative consumer reputation among snobbier shoppers. Imagine if Lucas Wallmark was in your estimation a very poor value player, who's quality of play was very low. You might call him Lucas Wallmart if you were making a joke.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is this purely speculation based on your own observations or are there additional rumors now?
Speculation.

Flames badly need a #1 goalie and Tre chases after every player the Oilers are reportedly after.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
While I don't see Holland moving his pick this year I could see him offering the Oiler's 2021 pick as part of a package. I could also see him offering Samorukov or Caleb Jones as one of the other pieces.

If you move Kuemper, then Arizona is going to move 2 or 3 of their veteran Dmen for futures. All are UFA's at the end of the year and not part of a future.

I think Arizona is going to have a lot of picks in the 2021 draft come October 8th.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Still, the idea that Friedman is saying he's going to get a 1st and another good asset is surprising. Just like I wouldn't ever sign a goalie to a big money contract, I would also personally never trade top assets for one. There are usually a couple of pretty darn good goalies available for reasonable acquisition/cap costs.

I guess I'm saying I understand why Kuemper has really great trade value for a goaltender, I personally struggle with understanding why that would be the case with any goaltender, however. But I don't set the market. The GMs do. And the market for Kuemper is reportedly extremely hot, and there my be hated rivals in on the bidding. So I'm optimistic about the return, even if I don't really understand it.

A few teams may feel goaltending is their weak link from doing a playoff run.

I have problems trading a top 20 pick for an older goalie.

I understand trading a late 1st because you feel you have a 2-3 yr window to try and win it all while a player picked there you want see till 4 years from now.

Other teams could get involved. For example Washington has hotby as a UFA snd a young 23 yr old. They might not want horny for 4 but coukd be interested in a 2 yr contract.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think he’s going to Alberta, but not the Oilers.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Flames did something crazy here.
I certainly see the flames going crazy, Treveling is well known to swing and gets right in there when EDM is rumored to be in also.

I could see the flames going for both OEL and Kuemper, offering up 1 of Monohan/Gaudreau, maybe with an add back for CAL.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
While I don't see Holland moving his pick this year I could see him offering the Oiler's 2021 pick as part of a package. I could also see him offering Samorukov or Caleb Jones as one of the other pieces.

If you move Kuemper, then Arizona is going to move 2 or 3 of their veteran Dmen for futures. All are UFA's at the end of the year and not part of a future.

I think Arizona is going to have a lot of picks in the 2021 draft come October 8th.

The reason I don’t see Holland moving the pick is that he just traded 2 seconds for AA, has to give up a 3rd for Neal, and a 4th for 1 game of Green. For a guy that has built his career around drafting and developing I don’t see where he moves yet another pick. He’s also spoke very highly of this draft class in his interview and the Oilers are in a much better spot, draft wise, then they would have been had the regular season played out.

I could only see it if a team is willing to swap a late 1st for JP. But I don’t think there’s anyway that EDM is not walking up to the podium in the first round

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That depends on where in round one that first is though. What if the Leafs came in late and offered 15OA plus Anderson for Kuemper?
I would laugh my ass off if Darcy Kuemper got the return. The Coyotes could then retain 50% on Andersen and trade him for a 2nd+

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The reason I don’t see Holland moving the pick is that he just traded 2 seconds for AA, has to give up a 3rd for Neal, and a 4th for 1 game of Green. For a guy that has built his career around drafting and developing I don’t see where he moves yet another pick. He’s also spoke very highly of this draft class in his interview and the Oilers are in a much better spot, draft wise, then they would have been had the regular season played out.

I could only see it if a team is willing to swap a late 1st for JP. But I don’t think there’s anyway that EDM is not walking up to the podium in the first round

That is why I said 2021 not 2020. That pick is next year. He has time to re-coop that pick.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

I could see that for OEL, but not for a Goalie.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I certainly see the flames going crazy, Treveling is well known to swing and gets right in there when EDM is rumored to be in also.

I could see the flames going for both OEL and Kuemper, offering up 1 of Monohan/Gaudreau, maybe with an add back for CAL.

You'd certainly love for that to be true as an Oilers fan. I'd be calling for Tre's head the second that deal was made.

But yeah, I'm a bit nervous here as a Flames fan that we might do something crazy. I really hope with the goalies available on the market (including just keeping Talbot), that Tre isn't an idiot who gives up a 1st for a goalie (after already trading a handful of 2nds for goalies during his time as GM).

Goalie wasn't our issue this year outside of one playoff game. It's the LAST place on the team we should be spending our assets to upgrade.

Bond

May 10, 2012

Lol. Nah

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.
You are right I haven't even talked about the $4 million real dollars Andersen saves a cap strapped team as well.
I could see Dubas dealing Andersen one for one for Kuemper but that first won't be used on a goalie.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad