Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think if you can get a first in a deal for him, you pretty much have to accommodate that deal in AZ's position. It's too rich an offer to pass up. He's only making $3.5M this season, so it's not going to be cost motivated. But the roster is going to be spinning their wheels for a season or two. No sense in letting Keumper go "to waste" for those two years instead of picking up a great return.
Raanta is only owed $2M for the rest of the season. He'd only get a third, maybe a second if they took back another goalie. If he's healthy, he's a great goaltender. Maybe they decided to sell high on Keumper and roll with Raanta.
I thought they'd trade Raanta. Might be they still do.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I know I am probably the only one but I feel sorry for the fans(there aren't many) that supported this tram.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Not sure how reputable this guy is:

What could be the return?

A draft pick? And cap space to get to the floor. Edmonton goalie caroussel continues, longing for the days of Moog, Fuhr, and Ranford.

Edit: the Oilers have no picks, maybe a 2022 2nd:laugh:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
One would think the new GM would want a say in who gets traded and what for. Could be a little while before this situation is resolved.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It’s been just about two days and still haven’t heard nothing on the Darcy Kuemper trade front.

Still kinda baffled as to why Arizona would want to trade their starting goalie in the prime of his career.

Kuemper has stellar numbers on a sweetheart deal for two more seasons.
I wouldn’t fully trust Raanta to take the starting reins full time knowing his injury history and knowing that he would be trucked with even more games then he could handle, that’s the whole reason Kuemper was acquired in the first place and Adin Hill isn’t the answer either.
1. Coyotes officially announcing a new GM tomorrow (Bill Armstrong)....this was step 1 for Coyotes trades/moves.
2. Trading Kuemper will likely make the Coyotes worse, not better, but given the owners desire to cut $10m from payroll and add picks/younger players this is a pragmatic step.
3. Raanta may well be traded as well....if he can return a 2nd-ish type pick.
4. Hill has demonstrated he's a capable of being a decent NHL back-up, if Raanta's moved the Coyotes will likely bring in a low cost vet until Prosvetov is ready and who is hopefully the long-term starter.

Coyotes in Rebuild Mode v14.0

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
1. Coyotes officially announcing a new GM tomorrow (Bill Armstrong)....this was step 1 for Coyotes trades/moves.
2. Trading Kuemper will likely make the Coyotes worse, not better, but given the owners desire to cut $10m from payroll and add picks/younger players this is a pragmatic step.
3. Raanta may well be traded as well....if he can return a 2nd-ish type pick.
4. Hill has demonstrated he's a capable of being a decent NHL back-up, if Raanta's moved the Coyotes will likely bring in a low cost vet until Prosvetov is ready and who is hopefully the long-term starter.

Coyotes in Rebuild Mode v14.0
Moving players like Kuemper, Raanta, Ekman-Larsson and Stepan would put Arizona right back in the basement, which I don’t believe they can afford to finish at the bottom of the standings again for long stretches anymore.

Forwards Hall, Richardson and Soderberg are all UFA’s in October and defensemen Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Demers and Oesterle are all UFA’s after next season (20-21).

Major moves that Arizona might be planning are moves that make me question if the ownership wants to sell off costly assets in a move to sell the team and relocate the franchise to another city perhaps Kansas City or even Quebec City.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Arizona finalizing a contract with a brand-new GM today, and his likely being officially announced tomorrow, I imagine that has pulled the e-break on all Arizona trade discussions. I assume he’ll be brought up to speed tomorrow and Friday. But I can’t imagine we’ll see any moves finalized until sometime next week at the absolute earliest.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Personally I'd rather target Rantaa if Holland's looking at an ARI goalie.

Yes, he's got major injury concerns, but if he's in a tandem with Koskinen that's should be mitigated a bit.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With Arizona finalizing a contract with a brand-new GM today, and his likely being officially announced tomorrow, I imagine that has pulled the e-break on all Arizona trade discussions. I assume he’ll be brought up to speed tomorrow and Friday. But I can’t imagine we’ll see any moves finalized until sometime next week at the absolute earliest.
So you think the new GM will stop the deal to get Neal? :laugh:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Personally I'd rather target Rantaa if Holland's looking at an ARI goalie.

Yes, he's got major injury concerns, but if he's in a tandem with Koskinen that's should be mitigated a bit.
Raanta missed the entire “playoffs” because a puck hit him in the mask during warmups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad