Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm saying Kuemper ends up in Toronto in a deal around Darcy and Freddy.

Reason being: Andersen has a cap hit of 5M for the remaining year on his deal, but with his 4M signing bonus already being signed, that means only 1M in cap is left to be paid to Freddy for the year on his deal. A damn near perfect contract for a financially strapped Arizona team next year. They get a solid goalie who probably comes in and puts up fantastic numbers as every other goalie does in Arizona while spending very little actually money on him.

I'm all for this but I don't think it happens

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's an extremely underwhelming package of spare parts.
I don't know how Benson or Lavoie would be considered spare parts but I get your point. I'm just saying what I believe the Oilers would be willing to give up.

All that said I feel like trade values will be a little weird this year due to massive cuts needed by some teams. It'll be interesting to what value really ends up being and how reducing costs might be a lot more valuable than we might believe

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Kuemper is worth a 1st++, Andersen is worth at least a 1st himself. No goalie is bringing back 2x 1st in value unless he's a perennial Vezina contender signed long-term.

Andersen is signed for 1 year vs. Kuemper signed for 2 at a better Cap hit. For this reason Kuemper should be worth at least twice Andersen.

Although Andersen + #15 OA is too much IMO. #15 for Kuemper would be fine with Toronto moving Andersen for a ~2nd round pick elsewhere. Maybe Kuemper @50% retained for Andersen + #15.

Reactions: Luckylarry

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I could see Kuemper returning something similar to or just shy of what Andersen got when the Leafs picked him up in 2016. Kuemper's numbers are better but he's older and will be a UFA in 2 years (though, his contract is very good until then). So a very late 1st as a base plus another pick or comparably valued prospect. If it's an earlier 1st (for example, the Oiler's 14th) then I would bet that's it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The 14th pick isnt just a regular 1st though. It's a mid 1st in a deep draft. Goalies dont get top 10 picks with very rare exceptions.

If the Oilers had 23-28 1st than yes a pretty solid add would be required something like a B+ prospect like Lavoie. However the 14th pick is very close to kuempfers value imo. Maybe a slight add like a 3rd in 2021 but the deal is their and its beneficial for both teams and aligns with their directions for the next 2 years.

Crouse is hard to value b/c his production is underwhelming but he has great size and still young. I'm not sure what his value would be. The oilers dont have any 2nds for the next two years

I cant imagine any team (maybe Colorado) would be moving this years 1st for Kuemper. Next years makes more sense to me
If 14th overall is too much to move for Kuemper, perhaps Edmonton could trade down a few picks to extract some value from that #14 pick before trading with Arizona.

For example:

To Edmonton: #24 + pick/prospect/roster player to bridge the gap between 14 and 24.
To Colorado: #14

To Edmonton: Kuemper
To Arizona: #24 + prospect/pick

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Andersen is signed for 1 year vs. Kuemper signed for 2 at a better Cap hit. For this reason Kuemper should be worth at least twice Andersen.

Although Andersen + #15 OA is too much IMO. #15 for Kuemper would be fine with Toronto moving Andersen for a ~2nd round pick elsewhere. Maybe Kuemper @50% retained for Andersen + #15.

The whole point is Arizona is broke. That’s why they would trade gkm

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was thinking more in the line it Benson or Lavoie
Friedman was extremely clear about what he’s been told Kuemper’s expected trade value should be from sources around the league. Your proposal is out of alignment with that expectation.

I get that Holland is a new GM in Edmonton and may want to keep his picks. We see it often enough to expect it. New GMs are also generally a lot less attached to kids picked by previous GMs. It’s just a fact of life.

So if the thought is that Holland won’t give up the 14th, that’s fine. Whatever you aim to replace it with better be just as good. Which brings us back to Bouchard or Broberg and not Lavoie or Benson.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm saying Kuemper ends up in Toronto in a deal around Darcy and Freddy.

Reason being: Andersen has a cap hit of 5M for the remaining year on his deal, but with his 4M signing bonus already being signed, that means only 1M in cap is left to be paid to Freddy for the year on his deal. A damn near perfect contract for a financially strapped Arizona team next year. They get a solid goalie who probably comes in and puts up fantastic numbers as every other goalie does in Arizona while spending very little actually money on him.
Good call. Both Kerfoot and Johnsson had some bonuses too. Kerfoot in particular had a large chunk of his contract paid last year. If the Leafs could trade 14th OA + Andersen + Kerfoot/Johnsson for something like Kuemper+Crouse they will save cap space AND be a better team while AZ saves actual cash while picking up a mid 1st.

If you aren’t onto something with your suggestion, shame on Dubas because there’s definitely a deal to be made.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Crouse is hard to value. He's a good third liner with speed, grit, and size good for 15+ goals. Also PKs. Then there's the issue that he's young and cheap so what if anything is his upside, so what's that worth?
When your team is as soft and small as Arizona's is, it adds yet another wrinkle. Why in the world would they ever trade him?

Reactions: Heldig

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Arizona needs draft picks. They don’t pick until the 4th round. Edmonton has a first, but it’s 14th overall. Do they move that pick for Kuemper? I have no idea if that’s fair value, since I don’t know how good Kuemper is.
If he could stay healthy he'd be viewed as a top 5G

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't think the Oilers will be willing to do that for Kuemper. Holland hates moving firsts. Also I think in the current NHL with everyone trying to cut costs, Russell has value. I could see Russell, Prospect, 3rd perhaps? Holland also doesn't sound like he wants to drop out of the first round at all this year, so maybe next year's first lotto protected instead?
Calgary will hope that's the offer....

Reactions: Nightrain

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Friedman, Marek, and others have been talking about this a lot:

“Kuemper trade talk

Between their financial losses and a desire to retool the roster over the next three seasons, it’s a forgone conclusion that the Coyotes will look to reduce payroll. I examined a number of ways they could do that, including trading from a group of veterans entering the final year of their contracts. As I noted previously, it’s also possible that the Coyotes could look to move two of their most attractive assets, goalie Darcy Kuemper and captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson.”

Friedman: Flames could be a fit for Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Darcy Kuemper

Oilers Have Shifted Focus to Goaltender Darcy Kuemper

Just curious, but is there any confirmation on whether OEL's bonus has been paid already? I was under the impression most bonuses were paid out July 1st (I believe all the Toronto big guns were paid out July 1st), but then I recall Lucic received his bonus on a different day, and I believe some players got their bonuses paid in separate installments. But I'm curious about OEL, because if his bonus has already been paid July 1st, what would be the motivation to trade him this off-season? If you're a team with an internal budget, how does it make sense to pay $4million this year to have your best player play for someone else?

Unless it hasn't been paid out, but that bonus payment is just around the corner, which would then make perfect sense.

Would gladly take any insight you have on this rt.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
don't see why the Oilers want him. It was just yesterday that Mikko Costconen was their franchise goalie for the future.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just curious, but is there any confirmation on whether OEL's bonus has been paid already? I was under the impression most bonuses were paid out July 1st (I believe all the Toronto big guns were paid out July 1st), but then I recall Lucic received his bonus on a different day, and I believe some players got their bonuses paid in separate installments. But I'm curious about OEL, because if his bonus has already been paid July 1st, what would be the motivation to trade him this off-season? If you're a team with an internal budget, how does it make sense to pay $4million this year to have your best player play for someone else?

Unless it hasn't been paid out, but that bonus payment is just around the corner, which would then make perfect sense.

Would gladly take any insight you have on this rt.
Confirmed as paid. Paid a day late, in-fact. :facepalm:

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad