Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Friedman and Marek have talked about it on 31 Thoughts twice. The last two episodes. Friedman has also mentioned it on other podcasts. The Coyotes beat-write Craig Morgan has also discussed in several recent articles and podcasts the likelihood of the Coyotes moving Kuemper as well.

Yeah, those are credible sources. This thread is based on a tweet by a guy named Joshua, who isn't verified and isn't a professional journalist.

There are NHL rumour twitter pages with over 25k followers who has never got 1 rumour right. The amount of followers someone has shouldnt deter someone breaking some real news.

I mean, it kinda does. 1300 followers is a pretty good indicator that this guy is not a professional and has no real leads or contacts. If he had credible sources of his own, surely he would have a larger following on social media. Can't see a guy flying under the radar if he has information not even people like Dreger and Johnson have.

Sure you can have 25k followers and never get 1 rumour right. Just look at Eklund. To me, it's not a real rumour until someone working on the field reports about it. You work for CBC? Okay, might be some truth to this statement. You have a fanpage and a shitty podcast? Get lost.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You’re undervaluing Crouse. And also Kuemper.

Friedman has stated frequently and emphatically that Kuemper’s value around the league is higher than just a 1st rounder. He said offers would need to start with a 1st and teams will need to add from there.

The 14th pick isnt just a regular 1st though. It's a mid 1st in a deep draft. Goalies dont get top 10 picks with very rare exceptions.

If the Oilers had 23-28 1st than yes a pretty solid add would be required something like a B+ prospect like Lavoie. However the 14th pick is very close to kuempfers value imo. Maybe a slight add like a 3rd in 2021 but the deal is their and its beneficial for both teams and aligns with their directions for the next 2 years.

Crouse is hard to value b/c his production is underwhelming but he has great size and still young. I'm not sure what his value would be. The oilers dont have any 2nds for the next two years

Reactions: Luckylarry

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If the Coyotes can get a premium price for Kuemper i say do it.

1) Kuemper feels like another Dubnyk situation, gain confidence in Arizona as a late-bloomer then go to a different team and play like a 1G for a few years - when you start doing that around your 30's clock is already ticking, Yotes aren't going to have a goalie for a decade in Kuemper
2) he'll most definitely explore his options in FA 2 years from now if he's able to keep this level of play up
3) if he regresses the value is gone, let's keep in mind he's been a #1 for less than 100 games
4) Rants is a decent goalie and the Yotes need to improve their team first and foremost because what they have now isn't enough to win the ultimate price regardless of who is in net, especially without Taylor Hall

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe 14 OA plus Russel? Oilers go with Koskenin and Kuemper for the next two seasons?
I don't think the Oilers will be willing to do that for Kuemper. Holland hates moving firsts. Also I think in the current NHL with everyone trying to cut costs, Russell has value. I could see Russell, Prospect, 3rd perhaps? Holland also doesn't sound like he wants to drop out of the first round at all this year, so maybe next year's first lotto protected instead?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't think the Oilers will be willing to do that for Kuemper. Holland hates moving firsts. Also I think in the current NHL with everyone trying to cut costs, Russell has value. I could see Russell, Prospect, 3rd perhaps? Holland also doesn't sound like he wants to drop out of the first round at all this year, so maybe next year's first lotto protected instead?

I feel like that deal gets beat pretty easily.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Well, that’s a pretty terrible offer.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Yeah, those are credible sources. This thread is based on a tweet by a guy named Joshua, who isn't verified and isn't a professional journalist.

I mean, it kinda does. 1300 followers is a pretty good indicator that this guy is not a professional and has no real leads or contacts. If he had credible sources of his own, surely he would have a larger following on social media. Can't see a guy flying under the radar if he has information not even people like Dreger and Johnson have.

Sure you can have 25k followers and never get 1 rumour right. Just look at Eklund. To me, it's not a real rumour until someone working on the field reports about it. You work for CBC? Okay, might be some truth to this statement. You have a fanpage and a shitty podcast? Get lost.
I am from the UK and see it very often in football about football rumours. A lot of very reliable stories are broken by people who are in the know and have very little followers.

All im saying is you really cant rule out the stories based on the amount of followers someone has. I agree they have very little merit but still, this story may have something in it.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm saying Kuemper ends up in Toronto in a deal around Darcy and Freddy.

Reason being: Andersen has a cap hit of 5M for the remaining year on his deal, but with his 4M signing bonus already being signed, that means only 1M in cap is left to be paid to Freddy for the year on his deal. A damn near perfect contract for a financially strapped Arizona team next year. They get a solid goalie who probably comes in and puts up fantastic numbers as every other goalie does in Arizona while spending very little actually money on him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm saying Kuemper ends up in Toronto in a deal around Darcy and Freddy.

Reason being: Andersen has a cap hit of 5M for the remaining year on his deal, but with his 4M signing bonus already being signed, that means only 1M in cap is left to be paid to Freddy for the year on his deal. A damn near perfect contract for a financially strapped Arizona team next year. They get a solid goalie who probably comes in and puts up fantastic numbers as every other goalie does in Arizona while spending very little actually money on him.
Yup. Anderson plus 15OA fir Kuemper.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hope that’s not it from Toronto. The difference between Freddie at 1 million and kuemper isn’t a 15th.

not in this market anyway.
If there are several teams involved, like suggested, then the price goes up. Oilers can offer 14 OA, and Russel (similar real money savings to Freddy).

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I hope that’s not it from Toronto. The difference between Freddie at 1 million and kuemper isn’t a 15th.

not in this market anyway.

If Kuemper is worth a 1st++, Andersen is worth at least a 1st himself. No goalie is bringing back 2x 1st in value unless he's a perennial Vezina contender signed long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad