Kronwall dangerous boarding against Matthews

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Just a questionable penalty. I thought this was going to be a typical Kronwalling.

Eh, maybe not. Matthews does touch the puck, but its after Kronwall is already into his check. Not boarding though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That is an unfortunate interference. Nothing more in my cleary unbiased non-homer opinion.

No I agree. I'm as big a Matthews fan as there is, but it just looks like an unfortunate collision. They're battling for position to get to the puck, Matthews probably ends up a bit off balance and crashes into the boards. It clearly was not in the numbers.

Just hope Auston is alright.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
5 and game I assume? ****ing dirty ass hit on a player who deosn't even have the puck. If he's injured I could easily see a few game suspension.

edit - sad to see so many biased leaf haters commenting in here. If it was their star player they would be up in arms, sigh.

Sometimes the irony that comes out of posts from Leafs fans is just brilliant. This would be one of those examples.

2 mins is borderline but fine since it was a couple feet away from the boards, but if Matthews hadn't put himself in the vulnerable position reaching for the puck and was more prepared for the hit Kronwall wouldn't have sent him flying like that either.. Anything more then 2 mins would have been an awful call.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Have players forgotten this is a physical sport? You are rushing into the puck with opposition rushing to the puck with you, PROTECT YOURSELF!!!

What does Matthews do? He tries to poke at the puck and takes a hit.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
It was very clearly not in the numbers. So no, it is not a textbook boarding.

Checking from behind is not boarding, there is no mention of hitting a player "in the numbers" as part of the boarding definition...

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

So yes, this is literally textbook boarding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad