Kronwall dangerous boarding against Matthews

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Lol oh I have seen some good ones in here, like " He should not be allowed to hit a star player like that", "Old washed up Dman should know better". This is hockey, that is his job! No just because hes your star does not mean other teams can't hit him. I think we have a new name for him and it has to be Glasshews!!! Sorry leaf nation.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Matthews has to be careful or he'll be the next lindros

He's probably been so physically dominant his whole career that he never had to think much about protecting himself until he hit the NHL

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
2min penalty is enough here, Kronwall should have just lifted the stick but probably didn't know he was going to reach out like that. Matty's a big guy and would have otherwise just been slown down. Glad he wasn't injured.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Good hit, interference for sure, but definitely not boarding or suspension worthy, give us all a bloody break!

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Christ. another nothing burger. Can we stop with the threads everytime a player gets sneezed on?

Kronwall shoved him. Didnt even hit him. Ducks that Matthew's went down where he did but jesus christ

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Just finished watching the game. That hit scared the **** out of me. Thank God Auston is okay.

My thoughts: A dirty hit, but not close to suspension worthy. Typical Kronwall, though. Wish he hadn't of gone the dirty route, but don't think he should be suspended for it. I'm just glad Matthews is fine.

Dirty? Lmao.

Kronwall has had some borderline (and very iffy by that) hits in his career. Old school step ups. Rarely ever dirty.

If you believe that hit on Matthews was dirty, then you may need to get your eyes checked, man.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Dirty? Lmao.

Kronwall has had some borderline (and very iffy by that) hits in his career. Old school step ups. Rarely ever dirty.

If you believe that hit on Matthews was dirty, then you may need to get your eyes checked, man.

It's dirty in that it's an illegal hit, hence the penalty. It wasn't predatory though.

Reactions: TheNewKid

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
LOL, that was nowhere near suspension worthy. Probably should not have even been a boarding penalty. Matthews was like 5 feet from the boards and trying to reach around Kronwall.

Not suspension worthy agreed, but 100% an interference penalty and an unfortunate dangerous hit (not Kronwalls fault)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Penalty, that's about it.
That no one made him accountable for it really highlights how soft a team the Leafs are.
He should have been spoken to.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Not even sure how people are calling it interference. Just watch gif in the OP and focus on Matthews' stick and the puck. They connect at the moment he gets hit. He's fair game.
Nasty fall but it's 100% on Matthews. Don't make plays like that if you can't brace yourself for a safe impact.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Kronwall is checked out and basically a teddy bear these days. He hasn't Kronwalled anyone in years. If anyone thinks he tried to hurt Matthews, I can assure you he doesn't have the energy left in his body for such effort. Just an awkward angle and balance for both parties. We aren't talking about this play if it weren't for the players involved.

He Kronwalled someone like 3 games ago....

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Scary play. Matthews needs to withstand some hard hits given his style of play but not of that variety.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Suspension?

Come on. Anybody who thinks this is a suspension must want bodychecking completely out of the game. This was a laughable 2 minute penalty call. He literally got 2 minutes for bodychecking.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
That's not even anywhere near the top 100 worst things Kronwall has done. I really dislike Kronwall, he is a filthy, predatory hitter, but in this case it's not even actually all that dirty just a simple interference penalty where he threw an illegal pick on the guy with a football style block. Matthews was totally unready for any kind contact and went flying 6 feet into the boards off this minor contact, hopefully he is not hurt but it's a bit of a lesson maybe to be careful when you are thinking of trying to fully stretch out to reach a loose puck when there's a lot of traffic around. Maybe that would be OK in the Swiss league but not in the NHL where anyone near you is not just going to stand aside and watch you go for that puck.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Soon every single hit that happens in the league is going to have it's own thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad