Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
There's workarounds on that, and starting to burn ELC now instead of Sliding a year brings the RFA money to you sooner.
I don’t think players can think too much in the way that you described in your post. One major injury and your career could be over after that. I believe players are thinking still mostly of how to get the best money at the moment. They have to think always how to get by the best right now and from now on.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don’t think players can think too much in the way that you described in your post. One major injury and your career could be over after that. I believe players are thinking still mostly of how to get the best money at the moment. They have to think always how to get by the best right now and from now on.

They got agents doing the thinking, and it's not completely out of question that Kves won't get KHL money by playing this season in NA. He gets NHL salary for all the time he spends in NHL roster.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I said back in summer this kid is good enough to make the show. My guess is they keep him to start year, maybe take him to Finland and then he plays with the Moose the rest of the year so he doesn't burn a year, but if he knocks down the door then he sticks, but I think he's down and Petan takes that spot.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I said back in summer this kid is good enough to make the show. My guess is they keep him to start year, maybe take him to Finland and then he plays with the Moose the rest of the year so he doesn't burn a year, but if he knocks down the door then he sticks, but I think he's down and Petan takes that spot.
surely you realized by now petan will be put on waivers or is pb bound.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I am pretty sure you know he didn't mean that.
Lets not start telling the other posters what they really meant with their posts. That’s a difficult road if everybody starts doing that here. I mean what I write. You can of course disagree, but it won’t mean that you are any more right than I am until the proof is seen.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I am pretty sure you know he didn't mean that.
And btw, tell me why the hell he would really even use the word TRY, if he was so absolutely sure that he will play in the AHL, after maybe not getting to play in the NHL for the full season? If he was thinking that he will play in the NHL or in the AHL no matter what happens, then for sure he would have said something like: ”I decided to play North American hockey from now on”. Absolutely no reason to use such a very careful way like: ”I decided that I would TRY playing North American hockey”.

By saying that he leaves a door wide open for the option of playing in Europe after all. He can try the North American hockey and still get back to Europe for one more year, if he can’t play the whole season in the NHL. I’m pretty sure that this is what he meant. But only time will tell the real answer, and only then of course, if he will not get to play the full NHL season this season after all.

Reactions: grey area and GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
And btw, tell me why the hell he would really even use the word TRY, if he was so absolutely sure that he will play in the AHL, after maybe not getting to play in the NHL for the full season? If he was thinking that he will play in the NHL or in the AHL no matter what happens, then for sure he would have said something like: ”I decided to play North American hockey from now on”. Absolutely no reason to use such a very careful way like: ”I decided that I would TRY playing North American hockey”.

By saying that he leaves a door wide open for the option of playing in Europe after all. He can try the North American hockey and still get back to Europe for one more year, if he can’t play the whole season in the NHL. I’m pretty sure that this is what he meant. But only time will tell the real answer, and only then of course, if he will not get to play the full NHL season this season after all.
people shouldn't try and parse words of people that are not fluent in a language. sounded like he said he wanted to play in north America this year. maybe he meant to say eager to play in n.a but didn't know the right word and said try instead. either way we will know soon. don't think he goes back to finland because he will make the team. if not, going to ahl is what he should do.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

When I watched him in preseason I saw a kid that I think can use about 40-60 games in the AHL but that might just be me? He is a very nice looking prospect but this doesn't really line up with how TNSE usually rolls unless this is (as you have mentioned) to get him on the trip to Finland. I would not at all be surprised if he is ready at some point through out the year though.

Reactions: blues10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
All three still have something to prove, all three need playing time to develop. Maurice should rotate them in and out of the lineup for a while until it becomes clear that one is better than the others. If Lemmy isn't that one, he should go back to the Moose.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
More than 9 games for this guy?

It depends on those 9ish games. If he goes on a tear they’ll keep him up, if not they’ll send him down to the AHL. I think it will come down to how fast he’ll adapt to the smaller rink as he has the tools and IQ to succeed.

Reactions: LAINEC

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
maybe

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
So do you guys think he'll stay with the Jets all year or what? On paper it makes sense to me to send him sown to save the year and free up the roster spot for Petan.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So do you guys think he'll stay with the Jets all year or what? On paper it makes sense to me to send him sown to save the year and free up the roster spot for Petan.

In my opinion, they will send Vesa down for future development, whether that be to the Moose, or back to Europe. I really think they'd like to have him close by with the Moose, so their giving him a taste of the NHL to entice him. We'll see what happens ??

Reactions: mondo3

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Lemieux is a better option right now. At least for this year.
Send him down and let him get used to the North American game without killing his confidence.

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lemieux is a better option right now. At least for this year.
Send him down and let him get used to the North American game without killing his confidence.

Jets are dumb to give him more than 9 games. At 19, with Trouba, Connor, Roslovic they got the kids out of college. Trouba was ready, mostly because he replaced Randy Jones. Connor took a year to get there. Roslovic needed a year and half development. Ehlers was given a development year with the pros, instead of a year in the Q. No need to burn a year on Veselainen. Petan can move back in to the mix after 9 games. Or if he goes to Van City, someone else has room to make the team. Like Niku. I think the Jets should take the 3 Finns to Helsinki, if an injury opens up a spot for them. But then it is grind time. Battle for each point.

Lemieux is physically more mature, knows his role, and has the pedigree. Time for changes.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets are dumb to give him more than 9 games. At 19, with Trouba, Connor, Roslovic they got the kids out of college. Trouba was ready, mostly because he replaced Randy Jones. Connor took a year to get there. Roslovic needed a year and half development. Ehlers was given a development year with the pros, instead of a year in the Q. No need to burn a year on Veselainen. Petan can move back in to the mix after 9 games. Or if he goes to Van City, someone else has room to make the team. Like Niku. I think the Jets should take the 3 Finns to Helsinki, if an injury opens up a spot for them. But then it is grind time. Battle for each point.

Lemieux is physically more mature, knows his role, and has the pedigree. Time for changes.

Yeah I think Lemieux will end up taking that spot in the end. Vesalainen will get some good experience, but ultimately I see them letting him play the year back home or the Moose if he wanted.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
This guy needs to go down to the AHL. 7 minutes a night is not doing this guy a favor for his long-term development. I'm also of the belief that if Jack Roslovic is going to be only playing 10 mins a night, I'd also consider sending him down to play top line centre full time with Vesa on his wing. Having these guys rot on the bench isn't ideal, IMO.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Both Ves and Roslo should be send to AHL ASAP. There they can play together 19 min per night and develop some chemistry. Awful to see talent being wasted like that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Both Ves and Roslo should be send to AHL ASAP. There they can play together 19 min per night and develop some chemistry. Awful to see talent being wasted like that.

Might want to talk to the LA coach - his shortened bench played a big part in the TOI for those two last night.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Roslo does NOT belong in the AHL. There's only so much a young point per game player is going to learn there. They need to adjust to the NHL game and Roslovic has been doing that right on track.

If he would have finished on that end to ender where he split the King's D last night he would be on Sportscenter top 10 plays of the week

Ares

May 8, 2018
Might want to talk to the LA coach - his shortened bench played a big part in the TOI for those two last night.
not like it's been better in any other game this season so far (or will be, looking at my crystal ball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad