Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
not like it's been better in any other game this season so far (or will be, looking at my crystal ball)

There have been 3 games. It's barely enough to register as a blip, let alone a trend. ;) I'm hoping that it doesn't continue as well.

PS: big lotto this week - can I borrow your crystal ball? I promise to share the proceeds. :P

Reactions: Ares

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Both Ves and Roslo should be send to AHL ASAP. There they can play together 19 min per night and develop some chemistry. Awful to see talent being wasted like that.
He was the best player in the league last year until the call up. He's done there.

Ves probably should go down .

Reactions: nhlpro

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Roslo does NOT belong in the AHL. There's only so much a young point per game player is going to learn there. They need to adjust to the NHL game and Roslovic has been doing that right on track.

If he would have finished on that end to ender where he split the King's D last night he would be on Sportscenter top 10 plays of the week
Agreed. No way should Rosie be send down. The kid will be an important part of this team by seasons end.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There have been 3 games. It's barely enough to register as a blip, let alone a trend. ;) I'm hoping that it doesn't continue as well.

PS: big lotto this week - can I borrow your crystal ball? I promise to share the proceeds. :P

Well now there have been 5 games. KV got 7 minutes again. Rosie & MP each got ~8 because they each had 1 min of PP time.

KV is gradually looking better but it is crystal clear that he is being 'developed' in the NHL. Even with the improvement his game is still not up to that of Lemieux or the now waived Dano and probably not up to Petan's either, though we haven't seen that lately.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think this year's Rosie is a better comparison. He's going to get sent down to the minors, where he'll be expected to dominate and then he'll get called back up after the trade deadline when rosters expand and potentially get some games in the playoffs so he doesn't accrue a year of service. Hopefully Rosie has been chatting to him about it while they sit on the bench together.

Reactions: sipowicz

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
This kid needs to be playing EVERY night. If it's not with the Jets lineup (healthy scratch again tonight) then he has to continue to develop elsewhere. I'm aware he isn't keen on playing in the AHL, would rather be back in Europe, but whatever the case - he needs to be playing solid minutes, not sitting in street clothes.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This kid needs to be playing EVERY night. If it's not with the Jets lineup (healthy scratch again tonight) then he has to continue to develop elsewhere. I'm aware he isn't keen on playing in the AHL, would rather be back in Europe, but whatever the case - he needs to be playing solid minutes, not sitting in street clothes.
Totally agree. Don't care where he goes he needs to go somewhere and play.

Reactions: GNP

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
it's the right move. and if he's smart, he takes the assignment and gives it a month.
play at a lower paycheque for a year so you can develop and cash in for your next contract. bite the bullet, young man.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I guess I want to play in north America really meant the ahl too. was there any doubt.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I would not be surprised to see him play a few games with the Moose, get called up for the games in Finland and left there to play with Jokerit the rest of the season.

Disclaimer: The above should not be considered a prediction at this time, although I reserve the right to make it one at some future date should it turn out to be correct.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I would not be surprised to see him play a few games with the Moose, get called up for the games in Finland and left there to play with Jokerit the rest of the season.

Disclaimer: The above should not be considered a prediction at this time, although I reserve the right to make it one at some future date should it turn out to be correct.

He needs to be playing the North American game be it on the Jets or Moose.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I think that's very plausible. Give Vesa a taste of the NHL and AHL so he can make an informed decision about his future. Jets can be pretty frank with him and say look at Connor. He came here, was healthy scratched a bunch until game 30 and then was sent down. He spent time in the A and when his shot came he was ready and hasn't looked back. Look at Rosie. Played in the AHL and then got some playoff games in and now has secured a spot and won't look back. Also look at Dano. Came to camp out of shape when he had his chance to grab a spot and missed his opportunity here as others passed him on the depth chart. Look at Lemeiux, he's getting his shot now to prove what he can do but he spent a few seasons in the AHL first. Petan needs to be ready when his chance comes.

Jets could say "Vesa, you can do what you want but if Appleton puts in another strong season, maybe he's next in line. You're going to have to spend some time in the AHL at some point to prove that you're ready. You can do that now or next year, or the year after that. It's up to you, but whenever you decide to come over, handing you a spot in our NHL lineup isn't likely in the cards. We gave you a solid look this year but you haven't slammed the door on your competition. We gave you an NHL cheque for a bit and took you to play in Finland. If you want to stay in Finland fine, but if you get on that plane, we expect you to stay with the Moose the entire season. We'll call you up for playoffs if we make it and you might have an inside track for a roster spot next year. That's entirely up to you and how you play."

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think that's very plausible. Give Vesa a taste of the NHL and AHL so he can make an informed decision about his future. Jets can be pretty frank with him and say look at Connor. He came here, was healthy scratched a bunch until game 30 and then was sent down. He spent time in the A and when his shot came he was ready and hasn't looked back. Look at Rosie. Played in the AHL and then got some playoff games in and now has secured a spot and won't look back. Also look at Dano. Came to camp out of shape when he had his chance to grab a spot and missed his opportunity here as others passed him on the depth chart. Look at Lemeiux, he's getting his shot now to prove what he can do but he spent a few seasons in the AHL first. Petan needs to be ready when his chance comes.

Jets could say "Vesa, you can do what you want but if Appleton puts in another strong season, maybe he's next in line. You're going to have to spend some time in the AHL at some point to prove that you're ready. You can do that now or next year, or the year after that. It's up to you, but whenever you decide to come over, handing you a spot in our NHL lineup isn't likely in the cards. We gave you a solid look this year but you haven't slammed the door on your competition. We gave you an NHL cheque for a bit and took you to play in Finland. If you want to stay in Finland fine, but if you get on that plane, we expect you to stay with the Moose the entire season. We'll call you up for playoffs if we make it and you might have an inside track for a roster spot next year. That's entirely up to you and how you play."

So, a few things.

First, my expectation is that if KV stays in Finland, it will be with the Jets blessings. I don't see them issuing the ultimatums and veiled threats you envision.
Two, I don't see Appleton being a serious threat to climb above KV on the depth chart. I mean, he's not even a LW never mind whether he really has NHL potential.
Three, I wouldn't be so quick to say Roslo won't be going back to the Moose. Granted he's had limited ice time, but I don't think he's yet demonstrated that he should be here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad