Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don't think it really made that much of a difference. It didn't hurt him, but a year in Liiga or KHL would have probably done the same. The thing that has helped Rantanen probably the most is his off-season training. His trainer said already two years ago that he will have a break out year because he's such a monster physically.

I have seen some people mention Koivu and Granlund as someone who benefited from AHL. That's not really true. They played there pretty much only because they happened to come over during the lockout seasons. Both were good enough to play in the NHL from the get go. Even if Granlund was pretty slow and overall raw physically and needed to work hard during the off-seasons to get to where he is now.

And for every Rantanen we have 4 guys like Pulkkinen, Rajala, Pesonen and Filppula who dominate in the AHL and yet never amount to anything in the NHL. Rantanen is the only Finnish forward to have a successful season in both AHL and NHL. Even Puljujärvi has played over 50 games in the AHL and still looks completely lost when he plays for the Oilers.
Kapanen might be proving to become another successful Finn in both AHL and NHL, but that needs to be confirmed with at least a full successful NHL season. Looking very promising right now anyway. But otherwise I agree with everything you posted 100%.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Probably as useful as AHL has proven to be for Puljujärvi? :dunno:

True. If he went to AHL he would be in the preds top 6 now. I just know it. No league other than AHL creates NHL players, that's the only REAL hockey there is.

If Kristian Vesalainen never becomes a good NHL player, i can promise you it's not because he didn't go to the AHL in his draft+2 year.

That being said, if i was to choose i'd want him in the AHL. But i don't think KHL is a bad choice.

It was a genuine question, folks. I don’t follow Tolvanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad